Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What are the new must-haves?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 7:59 am
I know this may seem shallow but I’m shopping for school and winter now and once I’m spending the money I want to buy the right things.
What are the new Hacks or styles?
Anything specific?
My girls are still young (pre-teen) and only starting to care... I don’t want to ask them to ask their friends (who have big sisters and will know) I don’t want to make a huge deal about the importance of fitting in.
But I want them to feel comfortable so I just want to know.
For example : if everyone is buying solid color masks I don’t want them to be the only ones with flowers....
Throw the tomatoes, but please also guide me practically here. TIA.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 8:22 am
It looks like sock shoes are still in style and some schools are issuing masks with their own logo.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know this may seem shallow but I’m shopping for school and winter now and once I’m spending the money I want to buy the right things.
Anything specific?
My girls are still young (pre-teen) and only starting to care... I don’t want to ask them to ask their friends (who have big sisters and will know) I don’t want to make a huge deal about the importance of fitting in.
For example : if everyone is buying solid color masks I don’t want them to be the only ones with flowers....

A lot of this sounds like it's community sensitive. Also, re masks: does your school have any requirements/restrictions?
If you really mess up, you can always treat your kids to one or two things that will make them happy. Do NOT do any kind of mass overhaul. They'll live and be more resilient for it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:20 am
PinkFridge wrote:
A lot of this sounds like it's community sensitive. Also, re masks: does your school have any requirements/restrictions?
If you really mess up, you can always treat your kids to one or two things that will make them happy. Do NOT do any kind of mass overhaul. They'll live and be more resilient for it.

Where did you read about mass overhaul? :-)
I’m buying some new things just like I buy in the beginning of every season, so I want to get the newer in stuff rather than last year’s.
My parents were into the resilient thing and maybe that’s why I’m a bit less so.
I don’t want to turn it into a value so I’m not initiating a whole conversation about it with my kids, but I just want some practical tips.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where did you read about mass overhaul? :-)
I’m buying some new things just like I buy in the beginning of every season, so I want to get the newer in stuff rather than last year’s.
My parents were into the resilient thing and maybe that’s why I’m a bit less so.
I don’t want to turn it into a value so I’m not initiating a whole conversation about it with my kids, but I just want some practical tips if anyone cares to share.
Thank you

So funny how things go in cycles. Your attitude is so normal.
I'm not the one to answer this, and not just because my youngest are young adults.
I hope, most of all, that your kids appreciate your efforts. If not now, because it might go over their heads, then when they're older and looking back. That's what they'll remember.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:40 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm not the one to answer this, and not just because my youngest are young adults.
I hope, most of all, that your kids appreciate your efforts. If not now, because it might go over their heads, then when they're older and looking back. That's what they'll remember.

Thank you and even if they don’t it’s ok.
I really just want them to feel comfortable and buying a few gadgets or certain colors is easy, kosher and relatively cheap too.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:49 am
One granddaughter said that Target has the coolest school supplies. I would have checked out Five Below because you can now order online with a flat rate shipping of $5 and I don't think that my granddaughter even considered that option. She and her friends went on a spree at the Middletown Target because Walmart stuff screams "Walmart" so if I were you, I would steer clear of Walmart.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 10:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anything specific?

IMNSHO, buy what the kids need now, then shop again once they see what's "in."

I even make my college kids do this for high-ticket items. If you're going to be unhappy if everyone has something different, then hold off.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 10:17 am
PinkFridge wrote:

So on target how you said these things go in cycles. I was just thinking so much about this. I never had the "in" things, due partly to financial situation and to my mother not being into that stuff at all, in fact being quite against "following the trends". It did in fact teach me resilience and being your own person and not following trends, but it also made me always feels different and excluded as child and that I was somehow never part of the group. Something that I realize on a deeper level now that I am older.
I keep very strictly to my budget and try not to go overboard with my own kids, but there are certain things that because of my own experiences I do try to give them (nothing expensive or crazy and not every trend) but to make them feel special and also that they are a part of the environment that we put them into...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 2:07 pm
southernbubby wrote:
One granddaughter said that Target has the coolest school supplies. I would have checked out Five Below because you can now order online with a flat rate shipping of $5 and I don't think that my granddaughter even considered that option. She and her friends went on a spree at the Middletown Target because Walmart stuff screams "Walmart" so if I were you, I would steer clear of Walmart.

Thank you Smile

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 2:09 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
IMNSHO, buy what the kids need now, then shop again once they see what's "in."

I even make my college kids do this for high-ticket items. If you're going to be unhappy if everyone has something different, then hold off.

Makes sense, but some things I need to buy now.
If anyone knows anything specific that’s a new style lmk.
Thanks!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 2:20 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
So on target how you said these things go in cycles. I was just thinking so much about this. I never had the "in" things, due partly to financial situation and to my mother not being into that stuff at all, in fact being quite against "following the trends". It did in fact teach me resilience and being your own person and not following trends, but it also made me always feels different and excluded as child and that I was somehow never part of the group. Something that I realize on a deeper level now that I am older.
I keep very strictly to my budget and try not to go overboard with my own kids, but there are certain things that because of my own experiences I do try to give them (nothing expensive or crazy and not every trend) but to make them feel special and also that they are a part of the environment that we put them into...

You and OP seem like good mommies and very level-headed.

Lady A

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 3:50 pm
New notebooks and school uniforms,shoes.
That’s it. Cool

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 4:21 pm
The color brown is definitely in...if you give me examples of what your referring to I can try to help. Shoes? Shabbos outfits? Weekday? Hair accessories? Boy? Girl? (Did you mean ruin that in your OP?)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 4:55 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
The color brown is definitely in...if you give me examples of what your referring to I can try to help. Shoes? Shabbos outfits? Weekday? Hair accessories? Boy? Girl? (Did you mean ruin that in your OP?)

Girls shabbos and weekday clothes.
And school gadgets and/or uniform accessories.
(Already got shoes).
Thx!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics