Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is this bad?

lst

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 8:13 am
ok, this might seem like a paranoid first time mother question:
my apt has typical old israeli stone floors-very hard. my baby has a playmat that ive been putting her on since she was a month old (shes now almost 4). she is usually on her back. this morning I lied down on it next to her and it reall hurt my head!! it is padded, and I thought it was enough without putting a rug or blanket underneath, but apparently its not. is it bad that she was lying all this time on such a hard surface, it was like pressure on my head. I feel so bad!!!! she usually cries after being on it for awhile but I always assumed it was because she wanted to be picked up. was it hurting her all this time and is it bad?

ok so reading this over it sounds a little silly but im just paranoid so I need some reassurance. I feel like ive been hurting her for 3 months Sad

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 8:39 am
I put my baby on a folded blanket on the hard israeli floor. I've nver laid on my back on it, but maybe it'll make you feel better to put her on her stomache. she needs tummy time anyways (not that I'm one to talk).

lst

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 8:47 am
I know, she actually loves tummy time and shes on her stomach for at least 20 minutes a day. I keep telling myself that she hasnt spent THAT much time lying on a hard floor

happymom

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 10:53 am
if you didnt pick her up when she cried and left her there then that isnt good, but if u picked her up right when she fussed then its fine. babies need that security that we are there for them when they need to be held or cuddled. they cry when they are uncomfortable too and if we are intune with thier needs they can become self confident and secure.

lst

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 11:10 am
I usually pick her up within a few minutes. there have been times though that I couldnt get to her right away like if I were in the middle of cooking or something. the longest shes ever cried on her mat is like 10 minutes. but its not usually even for that long

mammala120

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 11:16 am
PinkandYellow wrote:
I put my baby on a folded blanket on the hard israeli floor. I've nver laid on my back on it, but maybe it'll make you feel better to put her on her stomache. she needs tummy time anyways (not that I'm one to talk).

SORRY. but I wouldn't not suggest putting 3 month old on the hard floor even over a blanket on her tummy. reason being that they still cant' hold their head up well and will definately hurt their chin/face as they practice lifting their head up and then dropping itback on the floor.

as to ur concern, regarding putting her on the floor in the past 3months, all I can say is whats done is done, there is no harm, and why dont' you get a playpen, it is more safter adn they do come in different sizes depending on how much space u have at home.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 11:16 am
Well, now you know! Plus, in other countries people sleep on mats on the floor. They all seem fine.

happymom

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 11:55 am
I think ten minutes is a long time, so since your asking, I think if you pick her up as soon as she cries (whithin a minute) then its fine, but if not then its really not good for a baby that young.

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 12:18 pm
mammala120 wrote:
PinkandYellow wrote:

SORRY. but I wouldn't not suggest putting 3 month old on the hard floor even over a blanket on her tummy. reason being that they still cant' hold their head up well and will definately hurt their chin/face as they practice lifting their head up and then dropping itback on the floor.

as to ur concern, regarding putting her on the floor in the past 3months, all I can say is whats done is done, there is no harm, and why dont' you get a playpen, it is more safter adn they do come in different sizes depending on how much space u have at home.

at this age, of 3/4 mths, they should already have good enough head control that their heads don't just drop down. even my daughter, with her not good head control never just drops down. also you can prop s/t under the babys chest so if she droops her head down it dosn't hit the floor.

grin

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 12:23 pm
Wow, I always put my babies on the floor but never thought to feel what it's like! (well, they never seemed to complain either...) Should I ask them now? (The youngest is now 8.)
b'kitzur - it doesn't sound horrendous to me, but what do I know?

lst

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 1:51 pm
rg wrote:
Wow, I always put my babies on the floor but never thought to feel what it's like! (well, they never seemed to complain either...) Should I ask them now? (The youngest is now 8.)
b'kitzur - it doesn't sound horrendous to me, but what do I know?

thank u!

wif

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 1:57 pm
I bought a small area rug--they're pretty cheep--and I put my baby on that over the cold tiles in the winter. My older daughter also sits on it with her toys so that she doesn't get a cold tushie!

Nomad

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 2:49 pm
lst - I put my baby on a padded mat on top of an area rug (so not hard on the head) and he also cries after being on it for awhile - so I wouldnt worry!
and now that you know - just put something soft underneath

happymom

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 3:34 pm
Quote:
well, they never seemed to complain either

that means they didnt mind, we know from our babies what they like and what they dont. if they kvetch it means they dont like it, and if they are fine it means they do. so if a baby likes it of course its not a bad thing! but if a baby is crying, and doesnt like it, then it is.

lst

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 4:38 pm
thanks for making me feel better!

I know, now that I realized im going to go get a rug for underneath it. today I put a blanket underneath for her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics