Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Playgroup: better to be oldest or youngest?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:32 pm
If my baby will be 18 months, am I better off sending to a playgroup that is 12-18 months or 18-24 months?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:34 pm
That is a tough one but I'd say 18-24 months at that age. (unprofessional opinion...but I think an 18 month has more in common developmentally with a 24 month old than a 12 month old, and will also gain more from that kind of exposure.)

ETA also depends on your child, and if he/she is the type to be intimidated by other kids...

My nephew was 3 in July, and sis had the option this past summer of 2 1/2 to 3 or 3 to 3 1/2. She put him up and he did beautifully. He's a very social child.

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 1:37 pm
I would worry that an 18 month old in a class of mostly 12 month olds is in a whole different developmental stage and would be understimulated so I would lean towards being the youngest in the next age group. If she/he is the only one walking and talking to some degree and the other kids are much more babylike (really they are all babies) the difference between crawling and walking and no words and a handful is pretty big.

Once you get closer to the school age (4-5 year olds) the considerations are way different and then you want to re-evaluate oldest versus youngest.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:17 pm
Chayalle wrote:
That is a tough one but I'd say 18-24 months at that age. (unprofessional opinion...but I think an 18 month has more in common developmentally with a 24 month old than a 12 month old, and will also gain more from that kind of exposure.)

ETA also depends on your child, and if he/she is the type to be intimidated by other kids...

My nephew was 3 in July, and sis had the option this past summer of 2 1/2 to 3 or 3 to 3 1/2. She put him up and he did beautifully. He's a very social child.

Being that in Lakewood we have to decide this a year in advance, and my baby is currently seven months old, it's hard to know what my baby will be up to in a year. My baby seems relatively on time/advanced and is not intimidated by loving, rowdy older siblings.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:17 pm
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to aim for the older group

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:25 pm
I know this is totally anecdotal, but my kids all attended a daycare which promoted at 18 months to a toddler class of 18 month to 3 year olds and we found it a very positive experience for our children. It may be a coincidence, but we observed that in the 1-2 months after promotion, our kids' speech leaped tremendously. And also, there were a lot more gross motor activities available in the toddler class that our children really enjoyed.

keym

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 2:29 pm
I would find out from both where the ages of the kids already there skew.
If the 12-18 has more 12/13 month olds or 16/17 month olds.
If the 18-24 has more 18 month vs 23 month.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries