Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Fur to be banned in Israel

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 3:57 am
All fur trade/sales will be banned in Israel, save for religious or scientific purposes.

Not that there was a huge fur industry here to begin with, but it's a good symbolic gesture. Those violating the ban will be fined a maximum of 75K nis or jailed for a year.

I think that there are only a handful of countries in the world where the sale of fur is almost entirely banned. Kol hakavod to Israel. There is absolutely no need to cruelly raise and slaughter animals just for a fashion statement.

Ynet article on Fur Ban

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 4:19 am
Nice. What about sheep and cow skins?

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 4:20 am
Okay. Seems like a completely symbolic gesture with no real impact.

Except for streimels, I've never seen anyone wear fur in Israel.

It's not even cold enough in most of Israel for heavy-duty winter clothing, let alone fur.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 4:22 am
Rappel wrote:
Nice. What about sheep and cow skins?

It only refers to wild animal fur (fox etc).

I think the main claims of cruelty (animals being skinned alive etc) pertain to wild animal fur.

AFAIK cow skins are taken from cows that are killed for food anyway. Not sure about sheep.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 4:39 am
DrMom wrote:
Okay. Seems like a completely symbolic gesture with no real impact.

I read somewhere that a few years ago, streimels accounted for 90% of fur in Israel. So I guess this would have a 10% impact.
Plus the symbolic effect.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 5:48 am
Small impact, but great optics! Maybe it will inspire a few other countries to follow suit.

banana123

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 5:56 am
Wow. Fur isn't allowed to be used, other than for the purpose for which Israelis use it. Pshhh

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 6:00 am
banana123 wrote:
Wow. Fur isn't allowed to be used, other than for the purpose for which Israelis use it. Pshhh

Now that I think about it, it's really popular to have fur trimmed hoods on winter coats, and fur pom poms on beanie hats.

It's a tiny percentage, but it's still here.

I'm not in the "shtreimel circles", so I'm not going to give an opinion. I get that it's a really big deal for other people.

banana123

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 6:05 am
Fine, but it's such a small percentage, it's not significant.

I don't want to get into the shtreimel issue, but I do believe that banning fur except for what we mostly use fur for, makes us into a joke. Better not to ban it at all than to make a fake ban.

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 6:28 am
banana123 wrote:
Fine, but it's such a small percentage, it's not significant.

I don't want to get into the shtreimel issue, but I do believe that banning fur except for what we mostly use fur for, makes us into a joke. Better not to ban it at all than to make a fake ban.

But the Russian Mafia are quaking in their fur-edged boots, I'm sure. They'd never sell an illegal mink coat. Hiding

I'm not chassidish, so I may not understand the depth of the issue, but I do kind of wish they would ban streimels in Israel. Once upon a time, fur hats were essential headgear, completely necessary to survive the harsh cold. Today, they are so superfluous in both construction and climate that I don't see how it's possible justify their cost. It doesn't advertise the image of an upright and ethical scholar anymore - rather the opposite.

katamommy

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 12:42 pm
Rappel wrote:
But the Russian Mafia are quaking in their fur-edged boots, I'm sure. They'd never sell an illegal mink coat. Hiding

I'm not chassidish, so I may not understand the depth of the issue, but I do kind of wish they would ban streimels in Israel. Once upon a time, fur hats were essential headgear, completely necessary to survive the harsh cold. Today, they are so superfluous in both construction and climate that I don't see how it's possible justify their cost. It doesn't advertise the image of an upright and ethical scholar anymore - rather the opposite.

I have to agree. I saw one being worn today in 80-degree sunny Jerusalem weather. It stood out in the wrong way.

I respect the history - my own grandfather wore one (he came to NY from eastern Europe) - but somehow it just never looks right to me in contemporary contexts.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 2:25 pm
Hahahaha, gosh. What about higher salaries and treatment of shoah survivors? Nah animals first.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 3:29 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Hahahaha, gosh. What about higher salaries and treatment of shoah survivors? Nah animals first.

Higher salaries for who? Who will give? The government? It will come out of the taxpayers' money, so how will that help anyone? There isn't some secret money growing on trees to give higher salaries.

Better treatment of Shoah survivors - agree with you 1000%. But that doesn't have anything to do with banning fur.

banana123

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 3:44 pm
Rappel wrote:

Honestly shtreimels are made of animal tails. No one is killing an animal just for the tail - the tail is scraps. The tails are sold for high prices, though, because the makers of the Russian mink coats know exactly how much the shtreimel-maker will bring home in profits.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 3:47 pm
Rappel wrote:

Streimels aren't as hot as you'd imagine. It's more air than fur (to make it light).
They're superfluous, yes, but so are black hats, and I think streimlach look better.
But I agree there's not much of a point in this new law.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 9:59 pm
Fur coats are not made from skinning animals alive. Animals are not skinned alive for their fur.

Whats next? Banning leather and meat...?

As for shtreimels go pick on someone else.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Oct 04 2020, 10:07 pm
In general, fur is not really a fashion statement. Faux fur looks the same, it just doesn't feel the same or provide warmth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics