Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Do I really need a sheet on my baby’s crib?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:45 am
Do I really need a sheet on my baby’s crib?

Right now he sleeps directly on a waterproof mattress.

He leaks through His diaper a few times a week - sometimes even twice in one night. I don’t want to have to wash his sheets so often.

Einikel

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:47 am
It’s very sweaty. I wouldn’t. Sheets aren’t that expensive buy a few and change as needed so you don’t have to wash so often

Last edited by Einikel on Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:48 am
Yuck

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:50 am
It’s much more comfortable for the baby to have a soft sheet against his skin

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:50 am
Please give your baby a sheet!

Would you like to sleep on plastic?

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:52 am
Einikel wrote:
It’s very sweaty. I wouldn’t. Sheets aren’t that expensive but a few and change as needed so you don’t have to wash so often
This! It's also very uncomfortable.
Maybe a good idea is to size up the pamper or put on two for overnight, one on the regular way and one on backwards. Like that you'll have much more coverage.

tichellady

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:54 am
Yes, buy a few so you don’t have to wash every time

Frumme

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:57 am
Yes, put a sheet on. It's more comfortable and hygenic for the baby. Plus even waterproof mattresses can become stained yellow from baby poop and spit up.

Rather than omit a sheet, try to figure out why your baby is having leakage so often. Fix the root of the issue instead of putting a temporary bandaid on it. Even if you do choose to go without a sheet, you'll still be cleaning up leaks at the same rate if you don't figure out why the leaks are happening....

behappy2

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 8:58 am
Is it a comfortable matress cover? If yes, feel free to ignore everyone. You do what works best for you. I have a very functional friend who does this and it works for her.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:00 am
Maybe put a sheet and then a waterproof chuck under baby. And then you can keep switching it out.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:01 am
behappy2 wrote:
Is it a comfortable matress cover? If yes, feel free to ignore everyone. You do what works best for you. I have a very functional friend who does this and it works for her.

If it's a waterproof mattress, it means that it's plastic. It's just mean to put a baby to sleep directly on a plastic mattress. You make sure the baby has a comfortable place to sleep even if it means mom changing the sheet daily.

rachel6543

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:01 am
Have you tried sizing up for diapers? I found that usually solved the issue with leaking diapers.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:03 am
My baby looks comfortable, he’s not sweating. And the mattress is getting dirty either way, the sheet doesn’t keep it clean.

And I tried the bigger size diapers, it didn’t help at all.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:05 am
Have you tried a cloth diaper or cloth cover?

Rappel

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:11 am
OP, maybe change him in the middle of the night before you go to bed? That would solve the leakage, and it can't be that comfortable to be in a wet diaper anyway.

tichellady

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:19 am
Have you tried a diaper pad insert?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:20 am
When my babies were little I would put a cloth diaper thing on top of the sheet as an extra protection and just keep changing those a few times a day, and then the sheet every other day or so. If the mattress itself is getting dirty, it needs a mattress protector and then the sheet.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby looks comfortable, he’s not sweating. And the mattress is getting dirty either way, the sheet doesn’t keep it clean.

The sheet is for the baby not the mattress.

kenz

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:22 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
If it's a waterproof mattress, it means that it's plastic. It's just mean to put a baby to sleep directly on a plastic mattress. You make sure the baby has a comfortable place to sleep even if it means mom changing the sheet daily.

That's actually not true - things have come a long way. I have waterproof mattress covers on my bed that are very soft and don't let a drop go through to the mattress. It's very possible the baby is very comfy.

kenz

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I like the idea of putting a chuck down, like they do in the hospital. And get diaper inserts - the only ones that worked for me are Dimples, from Amazon.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics