Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Donuts in Israel
1  2  Next

saybesser

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:28 am
As we clean up and wind down from sukkos the stores in Israel are already pumping out the donuts like the apocalypse is arriving my question is who has the best regular simple donuts in Jerusalem not the ones that they put cream and an oreo and charge 30 NIS and doesn't actually taste good in looking for the best standard donuts ?
Thank you for helping me on this important journey

rivkam

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:32 am
This might be the most important thread on imamother at the moment.

I have to admit that I love the fancy donuts from roladin but I'm always up for other suggestions. Let's see what people recommend!

Success10

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:37 am
With all these nonsense threads about pandemics and presidential debates, I'm glad to finally see a thread about a topic of substance. They are all really expensive these days, even the "classics" of jelly and caramel. I really like maafia Nechama (Geula, I think, and maybe corner of Bar Ilan) for the classics, very fluffy. The caramel ones might be milchigs. Nechama also makes the fancier kinds. They aren't 30 shekels each, but they are not cheap. Many people recommend Brooklyn bakery in Meah Shearim for a classic custard donut, but I haven't been there in years.

jerusalem90

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:38 am
American style donuts are very very hard to come by, unfortunately, I have been looking for 10+ years.

Several years ago there was a place in Elad that made them and shipped to Jerusalem. By the time they'd get to a store near me they were a day+ old. Still the best I'd had even though stale. If you are traveling to Elad or know someone who lives there, it may be worth enquiry.

I've heard that Brooklyn Bakery in Meah Shearim sells American donuts, but despite living in Jerusalem I have never tried them as Meah Shearim is very inaccessible both by car and public transportation.

Mr. Donuts are easily found but are NOT American style donuts even if they are American. They are frozen and thawed. Not good but IMO the cupcakes are pretty good.

Mega (grocery store) and other places are selling donuts that look American (including the Oreo one you mentioned) but they are not American style donuts, unfortunately.

jerusalem90

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:40 am
Oh, and I don't consider sufganiot to be donuts. Totally different. I think the Roladin sufganiot are yummy, but I'd never call them "donuts".

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:41 am
Hanukkah food already???

(Although I must say I am intrigued by the sighting of custard doughnuts...)

BadTichelDay

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:49 am
jerusalem90 wrote:
Oh, and I don't consider sufganiot to be donuts. Totally different. I think the Roladin sufganiot are yummy, but I'd never call them "donuts".

Okay, I'm not from the US and I have got no idea. Please enlighten me and explain the differences between:
1- Israeli Sufganiot
2- American Donuts
3- Donuts but not American

Help me to have a tastier and better informed Hanukka this year Very Happy

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:54 am
rivkam wrote:
This might be the most important thread on imamother at the moment.

I have to admit that I love the fancy donuts from roladin but I'm always up for other suggestions. Let's see what people recommend!

Now I can cry, I miss Israel so much. Roladin, love of my life, where are you?

saybesser

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:03 am
Brooklyn bake shop is good officially
Avichail bakery pretty decent

But im looking for besides sufganiot a good ol donut with a hole in the middle

IMO

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:09 am
Berman does the most amazing ones. Soft and fluffy filled with with jelly or decadent fillings.

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:13 am
BadTichelDay wrote:
Okay, I'm not from the US and I have got no idea. Please enlighten me and explain the differences between:
1- Israeli Sufganiot
2- American Donuts
3- Donuts but not American

Help me to have a tastier and better informed Hanukka this year Very Happy

No idea about #3.
#2: America doughnuts have a hole in the middle (well, not jelly doughnuts, but the plain ones).

Success10

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:28 am
saybesser wrote:

In my 18 or so years here, I have never seen a real American donut with a hole in the middle. I think Ne'eman has something of the sort, but it's just fluffy Israeli dough, not the real deal. But what about this?

saybesser

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:32 am
Success10 wrote:
In my 18 or so years here, I have never seen a real American donut with a hole in the middle. I think that place in the mall (what's it called?) has something of the sort, but it's just fluffy Israeli dough, not the real deal. But what about this?

Na I might as well stick my finger through an Israeli donut

Success10

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:33 am
saybesser wrote:

One more thing. People make these sorts of things from home in your area and sell to American type stores like Arzei Makolet and Eshkolet on Paran. So you might find a box of donuts that way.

saybesser

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:36 am
Success10 wrote:
One more thing. People make these sorts of things from home in your area and sell to American type stores like Arzei Makolet and Eshkolet on Paran. So you might find a box of donuts that way.

Right thanks but I like walking by a bakery or somewhere and see the yummy donuts coming out of the oven and taking a big bite right there like a real classy woman

Success10

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:39 am
saybesser wrote:
Right thanks but I like walking by a bakery or somewhere and see the yummy donuts coming out of the oven and taking a big bite right there like a real classy woman

Very Happy I think I need to meet you one day. I'll have to order a donut pan and invite you over to try some.

saybesser

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:41 am
Success10 wrote:
Very Happy I think I need to meet you one day. I'll have to order a donut pan and invite you over to try some.

Invitation accepted what neighborhood?

Success10

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:42 am
saybesser wrote:
Invitation accepted what neighborhood?

PM me, but you might need to give the donut pan some time to arrive.

saybesser

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:44 am
Does marzipan have good ones?

Elfrida

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 4:47 am
Quote:

I lack American credentials and discernment(!), but I came across some rather good ones fitting this description in the shuk last year. Still warm when I bought them, so I sampled them while waiting for the bus. Everyone else had to eat them cold at home.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics