Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help me minimize

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:10 pm
I want to minimize but I really do use my stuff. Maybe not every day or even more than a few times a year, however, can I in good conscience get rid of things I actually use?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:18 pm
If you use it, why get rid of it? Better to find a way to organize it well.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:37 pm
Only you can decide what your priorities are, but for the things you use only a few times a year, are they that important to you and can you get the job done without them?

Example: You have a special heart-shaped cake pan that you use to bake birthday cakes 4 times a year. you discover that you can make a heart-shaped cake by baking a square and a round cake, cutting the round one in half and putting each half along one side of the square and then frosting the whole gesheft. You may decide this is a great idea and ditch the heart-shaped pan. OTOH you may decide that the heart-shaped pan works better with your secret cake recipe or fits exactly in your tupperware cake carrier and this is more important to you than freeing up the space.

Another example: You have special holiday-themed servingware that you use on Chanuka and Purim. You don't really need them because you have plenty of regular serving pieces. You may decide that, much as you love the whimsical crockery, you really need the space they take up and it's not worth keeping them to be used once a year. or you may decide that you can do without whatever it was that you wanted to clear the space for, and the pleasure you get from these dishes compensates for not having _______.

One way to decide what to keep and what to ditch is to ask yourself "If I had to pay a mover $X per cubic foot to move my stuff, would I keep this or leave it behind?"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics