Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is there a point for me to wear a mask in this case?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:05 am
I had COVID a few weeks ago. I always wear masks in public places of course as is required. Here’s my question. Is there a point to wearing a mask in a crowded place when no one else is? Crowded simchas, parties etc. I’m talking about 100+ people easily, packed in a small space, and I may be one of two people wearing a mask. I’m no longer a carrier and as far as I know even cases of reinfection don’t occur a few weeks later. I have no problem following the rules and wearing a mask, just wonder if there’s truly no point in these situations.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I had COVID a few weeks ago. I always wear masks in public places of course as is required. Here’s my question. Is there a point to wearing a mask in a crowded place when no one else is? Crowded simchas, parties etc. I’m talking about 100+ people easily, packed in a small space, and I may be one of two people wearing a mask. I’m no longer a carrier and as far as I know even cases of reinfection don’t occur a few weeks later. I have no problem following the rules and wearing a mask, just wonder if there’s truly no point in these situations.

Yes. Make a statement. I wear a mask. And I also wouldn't stay anywhere near 15 minutes in the thick of things.
Of course, my antibodies are at least a few months old so having to quarantine again would be a real consideration for me. I still would go through all the necessary motions though.

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:07 am
You will make other people who want to wear a mask a tiny bit less self-conscious about it. For some, it might make the difference between wearing and not.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:08 am
OOTforlife wrote:
You will make other people who want to wear a mask a tiny bit less self-conscious about it. For some, it might make the difference between wearing and not.

This!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:17 am
OOTforlife wrote:

You’re right it’s actually a really good point. I recently went to a shiva call, ironically for someone who passed away due to Covid, and no one was wearing a mask. I felt silly wearing one so I didn’t. Then someone came in and wore a mask the whole time and I regretted not feeling confident enough to wear it! But that’s part of what caused my confusion.. wondering if I am silly to wear one.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You’re right it’s actually a really good point. I recently went to a shiva call, ironically for someone who passed away due to Covid, and no one was wearing a mask. I felt silly wearing one so I didn’t. Then someone came in and wore a mask the whole time and I regretted not feeling confident enough to wear it! But that’s part of what caused my confusion.. wondering if I am silly to wear one.

Sad

I wore a mask throughout a very close wedding in the summer, and had people come over to me and tell me they really want to wear one but wish more people would so they wouldn't feel different.

I felt like saying gee thanks for pointing out how alone I am... and that I should introduce all these shy mask-in-my-pocket people to each other.

Make it easier for people to do the right thing. Save a life.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:24 am
The truth is I did stop wearing one in the summer because there were no cases where I live BH. But now that cases are on the rise I don’t know why people aren’t careful. Why aren’t rabanim speaking up? Don’t get it. There were a few doctors’ letters posted but I guess people have been ignoring them.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:27 am
OOTforlife wrote:

Chiming in with another This!

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The truth is I did stop wearing one in the summer because there were no cases where I live BH. But now that cases are on the rise I don’t know why people aren’t careful. Why aren’t rabanim speaking up? Don’t get it. There were a few doctors’ letters posted but I guess people have been ignoring them.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Agudah Illinois sent out a message to its mailing list to be careful.

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They could definitely take a stronger stance, but it has not been total radio silence. Agudath Israel and Torah UMesorah issued a joint statement on October 8, that said, among other things "[W]e call on all roshei eidah to do everything in their power to ensure compliance with good health practices, including social distancing, masking and abstention from large gatherings. Peoples who have COVID-19 symptoms should stay home."

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:49 am
OOTforlife wrote:
They could definitely take a stronger stance, but it has not been total radio silence. Agudath Israel and Torah UMesorah issued a joint statement on October 8, that said, among other things "[W]e call on all roshei eidah to do everything in their power to ensure compliance with good health practices, including social distancing, masking and abstention from large gatherings. Peoples who have COVID-19 symptoms should stay home."

I guess since in my area no one is listening, I feel they need to take a much stronger stance. It amazes me that people ignore the rabanim in this matter, but if one person heard through their cousin’s uncle that someone asked a gadol in EY some obscure question and got an answer that’s completely unverified, everyone jumps to join the bandwagon.

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Oct 30 2020, 7:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I guess since in my area no one is listening, I feel they need to take a much stronger stance. It amazes me that people ignore the rabanim in this matter, but if one person heard through their cousin’s uncle that someone asked a gadol in EY some obscure question and got an answer that’s completely unverified, everyone jumps to join the bandwagon.

I would also love a stronger stance in my area. But compared to what I hear going on in larger communities, we are pretty good. I also think we are on par with the surrounding non-Jewish population in our area and may actually have lower spread for various reasons.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics