Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Interesting Question regarding nursing

amother

Post Fri, Feb 01 2008, 12:31 am
My nine month old baby was vomiting all day today every time she ate. She is mostly still nursing and eats a few solids. My mother said that maybe I am pregnant and my milk turned sour. I don't think this is the case since even though I think I am pregnant (but did not tell my mother yet) but she threw up even when she ate solids that she usually likes.

Now heres my question: Is it possible for breastmilk to turn sour due to pregnancy? (I know some people breastfeed straight through their pregnancies but I want to know if it's possible that this happens to some people.)

abismommy

Post Fri, Feb 01 2008, 12:48 am
Don't know if I'd call it sour, but my kids refused to nurse as soon as I became pregnant. Also, by the time I was 6 weeks pregnant, I had almost NO milk. I guess tho combo of the 2 made them fussy, but mine never vomited from it. She might just have a stomach virus...refuah sheleima!

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Feb 01 2008, 12:56 am
Teething, or rather the drooling from teething can also cause vomiting.

Sounds to me though that it's some sort of bug and not the breastmilk. From what I've read, while the taste can change, it wouldn't cause vomiting since the baby just wouldn't nurse.

BTW, b'Sha'ah Tovah. I'm guessing you're one of the May 2007 mommies?

zigi

Post Fri, Feb 01 2008, 10:14 am
my dd did stop eating when she was 10 months I was pregnant and I didn't know it. but your baby could be sick.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Feb 01 2008, 10:15 am
Pregnancy doesn't sour milk. Taste can change (it can also change by eating different foods!) and supply can lower later on in pregnancy. After that, the milk can start tasting like colostrum that the body is producing in preparation for the new baby, but the milk does not get sour.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 01 2008, 10:24 am
I think it does get sour.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Feb 01 2008, 10:37 am
Are we talking sour as in spoiled or sour as in taste changes a bit?
Milk in the human body does not spoil!!!

queen

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 12:19 am
Milk taste could change however our breast milk should not actually turn sour as in spoiled.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 12:36 am
I'm having similar problem now.My dd was very fussy so I was told to eat spelt instead of wheat. My diet has changed the past week and since then she cries during each feeding and throws up a lot. I am not pregnant. Can a change in diet cause sour milk? Why else would she not want to eat? She always wanted to eat. I'm getting really nervous!

Helani

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 8:54 pm
We had a stomach virus going on around the community last couple of weeks. I found that nursing was actually the only thing that stayed in. The only tip I can give, if that's a virus not to let them nurse a lot, since full stomach makes them nauseous. Instead nurse them for just a few minutes, but at very frequent intervals. And yes, I nursed until the end of my second trimester twice with no problems.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics