Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming after grandparent during 1'st year of passing

amother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 11:41 am
Is it better for the niftar's neshoma to give a name after him during his 1'st year of passing?
The reason I am asking is because I have another grandparent who passed away several years ago. My parents don't have yet grandchildren named for either of them. ( My cousins named already their children after both of the above grandparent).
I was planning to name after the grandparent who passed away years ago since one of my parents is waiting already several years for a grandchild to be named after. Recently my other grandparent passed away, and I'm due during the first year. Can anyone bring me a source about the benefit for the nifter's soul, or aliyas neshuma if giving the name during firast year?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 3:11 pm
I dont have a source but it's definitely a good thing for the neshama to have a name within the year.

red sea

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 4:13 pm
I heard (no source) that its a big zechus to have a name soon

louche

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 6:52 pm
it doesn't make any sense to me (speaking strictly as a person of some logic and based upon no halachah or kabballah) to make a long-deceased grandparent wait just to give the extra zechus to a gparent who was niftar this year. what would happen if every year someone was niftar and one of the grandchildren had a baby and named him after the most recently deceased? at that rate the oldest gparent could be waiting forever. what about HIS zechus, hmmmm?

GetReal

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 6:58 pm
From What's In A Name by Rabbi Zushe Wilhelm

If one has the choice of naming his child after one of two people - one who died recently, and another who died long ago; some hold the custom that the child is to be named after the one who died more recently to the birth of the child.

Sorry, I don't own the book, I found this on the online version, so I can't look up the footnotes.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 7:24 pm
I've also read in a book re: minhagim with names, that there is the custom to name after the more recently niftar person...why? no idea.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 9:36 am
OP here. I think I didn't make it clear in my first post. BOTH of my grandparents have already names after them. But they are my UNCLES'S grandchildren. It's my parents that are both waiting for their OWN grandchild to be named after their parents.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 9:50 am
a think a name has to have meaning and connection to you - in order to be naming a child after them ... so I'm with naming after whoever you were closer to ...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 10:01 am
I asked DH and she said that he understnads that naming during shnas aveilus is an inyan.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 10:04 am
It is a very big aliyah to the neshama to have SOMEONE named after them within the first year. If there was anyone named for that person in the first year, then the segula is considered covered. If both names have already been used, you should not feel obligated to use the name even if it is within the first year. Go with the name you originally chose if you want.

If no one else had been named for the person in the first year, then I would understand giving the name if it falls out in the first year.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 3:37 pm
its a beautiful thing , we just had a kid named after their grandfather who passed away very recently and the bris was so emotional

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 11:25 am
Go for it! Unless you think that if you don't use an "outstanding" name there will be family tension. My son (who is now 7 months old) was born ON my grandfather's shloshim. It was an extremely emotional time for everyone!
Even though my husband lost all of his grandparents more than 20 years ago and none of them were named for yet, nobody in his family was hurt or disappointed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names