Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Candles πŸ•― on a birthday cake πŸŽ‚
Previous  1  2

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 12:41 am
Anything with fire you should assume has roots in avoda Zara. It is usually an accurate assumption. It is worth avoiding those practices due to the issur of "bechukoseihem lo seleichu". We are not allowed to follow the ways of the gentile nations. (This means practices sourced in idolatry or sorcery, not things like cuisine and clothing styles.)

Teomima

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 1:20 am
Iymnok wrote:
Anything with fire you should assume has roots in avoda Zara. It is usually an accurate assumption. It is worth avoiding those practices due to the issur of "bechukoseihem lo seleichu". We are not allowed to follow the ways of the gentile nations. (This means practices sourced in idolatry or sorcery, not things like cuisine and clothing styles.)

Then what about Shabbat candles? Havdalah? Ner neshama?

JG845

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 1:24 am
I was told Reb Dovid Cohen holds it is chukos hagoyim and assur. I believe he says someone else, not the BD person, should blow them out.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 1:51 am
Teomima wrote:

And the mizbeach and the menorah?
Obviously mitzvos, benign things (roasting marshmallows), and things with a clear source or clear lack of occult history are fine.
There is a wonderful series by Rav Yosef Veiner available on torahanytime on this topic.
The problem is doing anything that is sourced in idolatry or the occult. They wore shirts, so how could we? Is also not a valid argument since normal logical behaviors do not fall into this category.

Teomima

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 2:13 am
Iymnok wrote:
And the mizbeach and the menorah?
Obviously mitzvos, benign things (roasting marshmallows), and things with a clear source or clear lack of occult history are fine.
There is a wonderful series by Rav Yosef Veiner available on torahanytime on this topic.
The problem is doing anything that is sourced in idolatry or the occult. They wore shirts, so how could we? Is also not a valid argument since normal logical behaviors do not fall into this category.

Yet sacrifices go back to pagen times as well. We have examples in the Torah that precede Abraham.

Good Friend

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 2:31 am
I heard the idea to put candles in birthday cake came from pagans making birthday parties for their idols, and putting candles into the food to make the atmosphere more festive, and that's why we don't do it.

Stars

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:05 am
Teomima wrote:

The problem with birthday candles is in blowing them out. The smoke would carry their prayers straight to their gods or something like that.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:38 am
Okay I guess I won’t be doing it

erm

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:04 pm
Although I was familiar with the problem of its source, I never allowed my kids to have birthday candles because I think its totally disgusting to blow your germs on a cake and serve it.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 6:50 am
I was an adult when I found out there are some people arhat don't have birthday candles. I am ffb and the only people I know who don't blow out candles are chabad.

Reality

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 7:10 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I can see why someone might want to avoid blowing out candles. It's not a violation of halacha when something is so far removed from its origins, but I respect the sensitivity.

That said, a few behaviors in the frum world skate close to avoda zara.

A number of idolatrous cultures have a taboo about not cutting a baby's hair until the child is a certain age. The hair is cut in a ceremony at a temple.

I have read on this site about ostensibly frum people getting messages from poured lead.

The segula of lighting candles for 40 days lilui nishmas R. Menachem Mendel of Riminov, followed by a public declaration of thanks, is identical to the Catholic tradition of novenas to St. Jude.

It's interesting why some practices are acceptable and some are not.

My family would never do birthday candles, or pour lead, or light a candle for a Rebbe, or wear a red bendle, bake shlissel challah etc. The list goes on and on. All of these actions are superstitious with questionable origins.

I never thought of cutting a boys hair at three fell into the same category. I'm going to try to research that. Thank you!

mandksima

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 7:22 am
We don't blow out any candles. Something having to do with the connection of candles to a neshama and we don't extinguish it with breath that creates life...I put something metal or glass over a candle to put it out.

Birthday candles are an additional avoda zara issue and we don't use them either.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics