Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
ISO of no prep salad
1  2  Next

pause

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 1:57 pm
I started looking through this section, but I had a hard time finding what I'm looking for. I would appreciate if anyone can guide me towards recipes that don't require any preparation other than making a dressing (post a link), or if you can post such recipes here on this thread.

I want a salad that does not require any peeling, chopping, dicing, roasting, etc. and is merely a combination of ready components. I am willing to put together a dressing if I can do it a day in advance.

Thanks!

corolla

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 2:16 pm
pause wrote:
I started looking through this section, but I had a hard time finding what I'm looking for. I would appreciate if anyone can guide me towards recipes that don't require any preparation other than making a dressing (post a link), or if you can post such recipes here on this thread.

I want a salad that does not require any peeling, chopping, dicing, roasting, etc. and is merely a combination of ready components. I am willing to put together a dressing if I can do it a day in advance.

Thanks!

Anything with canned ingredients. Corn, olives, baby corn, hearts of palm, etc.

I hate preparing and washing on Shabbos so I make all of my salads before. Sometimes I dress it right before the meal, but mostly, I stick to salads that allow me to prep in advance. Coleslaw, sweet potato salad, corn salad, etc.
I even chop Israeli salad before Shabbos and just add dressing before the meal.

MangoSmoothie

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 2:44 pm
Corn salad:
1 can yellow corn
1 can white corn
1 can sliced black olives
1 can hearts of palm pieces
I also chop up one red pepper (or any other color), but feel free to leave that out Smile

Add a little dill pickle juice (I know it sounds weird, but it's good!)
Some mayonnaise
A little dill

Mix and enjoy

pause

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 2:56 pm
I'd prefer something lettuce-y. I use pre-checked and pre-cut lettuce.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:13 pm
Bag of Italian/Euro/Romaine. Washed grape tomatoes. Bagged croutons. Bottled dressing.

pause

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Bag of Italian/Euro/Romaine. Washed grape tomatoes. Bagged croutons. Bottled dressing.

Thanks! I'm looking for something like this, but a bit more... different? exotic? interesting?

SuperWify

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:16 pm
Greek salad

Lettuce
Cherry tomatoes
Olives
Cucumbers (don’t peel just chop)
Feta cheese

Greek salad dressing from saladmate

SuperWify

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:18 pm
Lettuce (use arugula to make it fancier)
Craisins
Candied walnuts
Cherry tomatoes
If you have a minute- peppers and avocado diced

Ready balsamic vinaigrette

pause

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:23 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Greek salad

Lettuce
Cherry tomatoes
Olives
Cucumbers (don’t peel just chop)
Feta cheese

Greek salad dressing from saladmate

Don't wanna chop cucumbers or cut up feta cheese. Tongue Out

Just One

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:26 pm
My best salad for lazy shabbos meals:
Lettuce
Slivered almonds
Roasted Sunflower seeds
Purple onion
Crudely crushed ramon noodles
Purple onion
(Sometimes I add some cherry tomatoes or craisins for extra color and taste)

Dressing:
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
1/8 cup vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
Packet of spices from ramon noodles

I usually double up the dressing ingredients and keep the rest in my fridge. It lasts for months and saves a step.

Originally from balabustes choice cookbook

ra_mom

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:27 pm
pause wrote:
Thanks! I'm looking for something like this, but a bit more... different? exotic? interesting?

Baby spinach. Grape tomatoes. Buy sautéed portobello mushrooms at takeout or use ready sliced raw bottom mushrooms if you like them raw. Buy a balsamic dressing.

Romaine. Grape tomatoes. Shredded red cabbage. Shredded carrots from a bag. Add vacuum packed cubed pastrami and turkey meat. Use nish nosh dressing.

Romaine, drained canned orange segments, edamame, Asian dressing.

Canned button mushrooms marinated in teriyaki sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve over mixed greens.

Romaine, purple cabbage, grape tomatoes, nish nosh crackers and dressing.

Bag of white shredded cabbage, a sweet oil dressing. Add silvered almonds and sesame seeds.

Thaw a bag of broccoli. Add sweet creamy bottled dressing. Handul of silvered almonds and dried cranberry craisins.

Or same as above with a bag of raw broccoli slaw instead of frozen broccoli.

Cole slaw bag and bottled cole slaw dressing.

Drained cans of chickpeas and cut baby corn, grape tomatoes, half a jar of ready sliced pickles. Drizzle with olive oil, s&p.

Dark greens, jarred peppers, jarred/canned pickled eggplants, shredded carrots, chickpeas, tehina.

Romaine, grape tomatoes, bagged shredded carrots, canned sliced black olives, container of ready crumbled feta cheese, bottled Greek dressing.

Drained cans of sliced hearts of palm and corn, grape tomatoes, mixed with pesto dressing. Serve over greens or defrosted frozen avocado halves?

Or just make a salad bar with a variety of dressings. Offer baby spinach, mixed greens, romaine. Grape tomatoes. Shredded red cabbage. Shredded carrots.
Then drained cans of chickpeas, sliced hearts of palm, cut baby corn, mandarin orange segments.
Drained jars of olives, sliced pickles, pickled eggplant.
Croutons, silvered almonds, craisins.
Buy chopped peppers if you'd like.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 11:57 am
You don't want a recipe, you want a magic wand!

There is no such thing as a salad that makes itself, and comes out tasting "exotic" or impressive.

No pain, no gain!

Have you considered hiring a personal chef? Before Corona, I used to work for an elderly couple, and I made Shabbos for them every week, with enough left over to last them for few extra days. They are vegan, so that meant everything had to be fresh, checked, peeled, chopped, sliced, etc. and all salad dressings were made from scratch.

I could put up a vegan cholent, two roasted sides, and 4 salads, 3 dips, and two types of dressing in 3 hours flat. If I had some extra time, I would wash and check big batches of cilantro and parsley to last them for the rest of the week, as well.

DrMom

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 12:10 pm
Tend to agree with FF.

How long does it take to chop a cucumber? Less time than it takes to write your OP.

If you want 0 prep, order in.

Tzippy323

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 6:57 pm
My mother used to make this salad. 1 bag checked romaine ) they didn’t have this back in the day), 1 can undrained crushed pineapple, 2 green apples cut in chunks, 1cup peanuts. Dressing is orange juice mixed with mayonnaise.

SuperWify

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 7:23 pm
pause wrote:
Don't wanna chop cucumbers or cut up feta cheese. Tongue Out

Crumbled feta cheese?

pause

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 7:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Baby spinach. Grape tomatoes. Buy sautéed portobello mushrooms at takeout or use ready sliced raw bottom mushrooms if you like them raw. Buy a balsamic dressing.

Romaine. Grape tomatoes. Shredded red cabbage. Shredded carrots from a bag. Add vacuum packed cubed pastrami and turkey meat. Use nish nosh dressing.

Romaine, drained canned orange segments, edamame, Asian dressing.

Canned button mushrooms marinated in teriyaki sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve over mixed greens.

Romaine, purple cabbage, grape tomatoes, nish nosh crackers and dressing.

Bag of white shredded cabbage, a sweet oil dressing. Add silvered almonds and sesame seeds.

Thaw a bag of broccoli. Add sweet creamy bottled dressing. Handul of silvered almonds and dried cranberry craisins.

Or same as above with a bag of raw broccoli slaw instead of frozen broccoli.

Cole slaw bag and bottled cole slaw dressing.

Drained cans of chickpeas and cut baby corn, grape tomatoes, half a jar of ready sliced pickles. Drizzle with olive oil, s&p.

Dark greens, jarred peppers, jarred/canned pickled eggplants, shredded carrots, chickpeas, tehina.

Romaine, grape tomatoes, bagged shredded carrots, canned sliced black olives, container of ready crumbled feta cheese, bottled Greek dressing.

Drained cans of sliced hearts of palm and corn, grape tomatoes, mixed with pesto dressing. Serve over greens or defrosted frozen avocado halves?

Or just make a salad bar with a variety of dressings. Offer baby spinach, mixed greens, romaine. Grape tomatoes. Shredded red cabbage. Shredded carrots.
Then drained cans of chickpeas, sliced hearts of palm, cut baby corn, mandarin orange segments.
Drained jars of olives, sliced pickles, pickled eggplant.
Croutons, silvered almonds, craisins.
Buy chopped peppers if you'd like.

Fantastic ideas! Thanks so much! Now which one to choose...?

pause

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 8:00 pm
DrMom wrote:
Tend to agree with FF.

How long does it take to chop a cucumber? Less time than it takes to write your OP.

If you want 0 prep, order in.

I need this salad for a party when I won't have the time to chop the cucumber. Believe me, if I could have chopped the cucumber at the time I posted the OP and it would still be good for when I need the salad, I would have done that. Smile Alas, I can't time travel yet.

crust

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 8:34 pm
pause wrote:

Add silvered/glazed almonds
Add dried cranberries
Add snow peas

Stars

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 8:45 pm
pause wrote:
I need this salad for a party when I won't have the time to chop the cucumber. Believe me, if I could have chopped the cucumber at the time I posted the OP and it would still be good for when I need the salad, I would have done that. Smile Alas, I can't time travel yet.

Not sure if this will work for you but I have prepped salads up to 2 days before by keeping each ingredient in a separate container.

pause

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 9:12 pm
Stars wrote:
Not sure if this will work for you but I have prepped salads up to 2 days before by keeping each ingredient in a separate container.

It was gonna be my last resort if I don't get any other ideas here. Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics