Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
What if this never ends??
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 8:39 am
My parents OBM grew up in a difficult world of the Great Depression followed by WW2. Of course it had an effect on their mental health.

Personally, I think that governments should open specific Covid treatment facilities and train health care workers to staff those facilities so that the hospitals are not overwhelmed which triggers lockdowns. This would allow the population to have at least modified normal.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 8:52 am
Hugs OP!

Here’s what I’ve been doing - making new friends who are tired of COVID too! And I hate how my phone capitalizes that whole word into a scary monster; I forgot to write corona! We have Shabbos guests and eat out regularly. Not with all the people we’d love to, but with the logical ones who don’t buy into nonsense like this Harvard study, which the NY TImes epidemiologists would probably love!

Just for laughs at the corona crazy crowd: https://nypost.com/2020/06/02/.....ists/

PS I nearly posted with my screen name, then changed to anon because I have a business and can’t afford to alienate half my clients!

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 9:05 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Hugs OP!

Here’s what I’ve been doing - making new friends who are tired of COVID too! And I hate how my phone capitalizes that whole word into a scary monster; I forgot to write corona! We have Shabbos guests and eat out regularly. Not with all the people we’d love to, but with the logical ones who don’t buy into nonsense like this Harvard study, which the NY TImes epidemiologists would probably love!

Just for laughs at the corona crazy crowd: https://nypost.com/2020/06/02/.....ists/

PS I nearly posted with my screen name, then changed to anon because I have a business and can’t afford to alienate half my clients!

I do see a lot of people who go about their business as though there is no pandemic and if there was plenty of health care for people who catch the virus, fewer people would object about going back to normal. That's what the government should be doing; training health care workers and opening facilities for Covid patients because otherwise, some logical people are crowding into hospitals when the going gets rough as they catch the virus.

As far as relations goes, nobody listens to that advice anyway but lots of people out there have relations with people who are not household members and maybe some of them have imparted this info to doctors and contact tracers after they got sick.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
This is a little bit different because Covid can cause a lot of pregnancy complications, such as blood clotting, miscarriages, still births, premature birth, maternal death, neurological issues in baby, etc.
OP, it’s gonna be over soon. Not tomorrow, but soon.

This is fear mongering. There is such a small chance of that.
Whereas in mitzrayim, if they had a boy, the baby was killed in a horribly gruesome way. That’s a 50 percent chance! And yet we were told not to let go of the emuna. What mamdksima wrote was beautiful.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 9:43 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
This is fear mongering. There is such a small chance of that.
Whereas in mitzrayim, if they had a boy, the baby was killed in a horribly gruesome way. That’s a 50 percent chance! And yet we were told not to let go of the emuna. What mamdksima wrote was beautiful.

Sorry if the facts scare you. I didn’t make them up. There have been documented complications regardless of gender. In mitzrayim, they didn’t have birth control. And none of us are on Miriam’s level, or even close. Nowadays on the level that we are all on, hishtadlus is to take your bc. If it fails, it fails, and you have my sympathies. Anyone struggling with infertility, same sympathies. But then you see a lot of pregnant women kvetching about how no one is being careful enough for their liking, and it’s like hello??

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 9:48 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
This is a little bit different because Covid can cause a lot of pregnancy complications, such as blood clotting, miscarriages, still births, premature birth, maternal death, neurological issues in baby, etc.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....55094

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 9:55 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.businessinsider.com/singapore-woman-says-gave-birth-baby-with-covid-19-antibodies-2020-11%3Famp&ved=2ahUKEwiz5OLHzLntAhUCzlkKHRkKBDEQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1maulHxlHqeV9g9g7r9k_o&ampcf=1&cshid=1607266055094

https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru......html
https://www.medpagetoday.com/I.....86261 This is back in May, but I don’t have time now to find more updated data.
The good news is, the risk is low. But it’s there. The virus is only a year old, but there will be more supported evidence soon enough.

mandksima

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 10:41 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

I was under the impression the OP was worried about bringing kids into the state of mask wearing and SD because of Covid and not because of a chance of additional risks to pregnancy. I didn't even realize that was a fear but since you brought this up, that's one of the first things to be fixed when the Beit Hamikdash is built and the para aduma is brought as a sacrifice to atone for Chava's sin. After that, the whole way we reproduce will change. We will no longer need cycles with bleeding, nor a long pregnancy (some say it'll last a day or 3 days) or have any chance of infertility, miscarriage, stillbirth or infant death. No painful pregnancies or births. So, BEH, when this Covid is over, so is our galus and we can enter into a much more perfect way of life as Hashem intended it to be for women. There's only what to look forward to so try to find a way to stretch your emunah until the last inning! Hashem for sure does not want us to stop having children because there may be a risk for pregnancy issues. Every part of pregnancy is always a risk in any era, there is no proof you are under more risk now as there are so many personal variables that contribute to reasons that make a pregnancy difficult and cause issues to the fetus. Women always risk their life to have babies, you just may assume you are in a safe category but anything can happen anytime with or without a possible risk from Covid. A real risk can be determined by your doctor but I have not heard of this here. I am not seeing in Israel any less births for this reason, is it really a fear for frum Jews in the US or elsewhere?

yksraya

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:12 am
We don't know how this will end and when. But as frum jews we believe in the geula. We need to take it day by day (or minute by minute). Our faith is at test, because we need to strengthen our emunah. We need to trust in hashem that he is protecting us, and that this all is for our best. We need not to worry about what epidemiologists say. We need to remember that Hashem is in charge, now and always.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:42 am
The NYT decided which epidemiologists to interview. It is by far not a unanimous view.

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:51 am
Iymnok wrote:
The NYT decided which epidemiologists to interview. It is by far not a unanimous view.

Yes, I don't think the epidemiologists they interviewed necessarily hold a majority opinion.

ggdm

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 5:48 am
"never normal like in 2019" can mean many things and not all of them are really bad or may impact you personally.

It may mean we will always be more careful to stay home when sick or wear masks more often - not the end of the world, already standard in some parts of Asia.

It may mean no really huge events anymore (like Olympic games or World cup) - replace it with many smaller events and all is fine.

It may mean rapid tests before flying - annoying, just like the "no liquid" rule or visa requirements, but doable.

We have already figured out many parts of how to operate daily life safely with minimal change. Some of the change can actually be beneficial overall - schools with smaller classes, more opportunities for work from home, more digitalised workflows, ...

We will adapt and it will be fine. It will not mean living in lockdown forever.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 6:39 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Sorry if the facts scare you. I didn’t make them up. There have been documented complications regardless of gender. In mitzrayim, they didn’t have birth control. And none of us are on Miriam’s level, or even close. Nowadays on the level that we are all on, hishtadlus is to take your bc. If it fails, it fails, and you have my sympathies. Anyone struggling with infertility, same sympathies. But then you see a lot of pregnant women kvetching about how no one is being careful enough for their liking, and it’s like hello??

Divorcing their wives was the birth control. That’s the point. They started doing their birth control, then Miriam told them to stop.

Are you seriously judging pregnant women? None of them have a “good enough reason” for being pregnant right now to your liking?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 6:46 am
southernbubby wrote:
My parents OBM grew up in a difficult world of the Great Depression followed by WW2. Of course it had an effect on their mental health.

Personally, I think that governments should open specific Covid treatment facilities and train health care workers to staff those facilities so that the hospitals are not overwhelmed which triggers lockdowns. This would allow the population to have at least modified normal.

They are doing that. They’re freeing up existing beds and units in hospitals to be used for COVID patients. Where do you think all those healthcare workers would come from? The government can’t create new doctors and nurses from scratch overnight. They are training and equipping the existing doctors and nurses. Don’t you agree that it’s much more efficient to modify and repurpose what you already have than to build new treatment facilities from the ground up?

Overwhelm of hospitals triggering lockdowns would simply become overwhelm of specific COVID treatment facilities triggering lockdowns. It’s the same limited resource of healthcare workers and PPE and ventilators etc.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 7:07 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Hugs OP!

If you're having a random hook up with someone who doesn't live with you, as mentioned in the article, a mask isn't the only protection you need. I'm assuming you don't do that regularly, though.

"Logical" people follow scientific recommendations. "Logical" people have a healthy fear of a disease that has killed more than 1.5 million people throughout the world, more than 282,000 in the US alone. 2,804 deaths last Wednesday. I feel very, very sorry for people who don't understand that.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 7:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Usually I'm hyper logical/rational. But now I'm up every night hyperventilating. What if covid never ends?? Bh my life is pretty good, my husband and I both work, although our income took a hit, my toddler is in School (well not now because he had a case in his class, but usually) and I have a nanny who watches my baby.

But on friday I ready a NYTimes article where they interviewed 700 epidemiologist and here's a sampling:

Q: How and when will life go back to normal?
A: “It is normal now; similar to 2019, never again.”

Q: What will never go back to normal?
A: “Every part of my daily life that involves interaction with anyone other than my spouse.”

I mean these are epidemiologists! These are the people who drive policy. What if they're right and it never ends??? I've literally been getting through each day thinking okay this is one more day closer to the day I never have to wear a mask or hear someone say "social distance" ever again for as long as I live. But if that's not true and this is going to go on for 5-10 years I seriously don't know if I can handle it. I told my mother tonight that I regret bringing my kids into a world where all they know is masks and social distancing. What a tragedy for them to have to live like this for an extended time.

I'm literally at my wits end. I was so sure that by April/may things would be better. but if they're not then I seriously don't know what to do.
And yes im on medication and see a therapist, both of which started because of coronavirus in the first place.

That was 1 person, of the 700 interviewed. Most pointed out that we still have a ways to go until we hit 70% immunity through vaccination.

Quote:

“If more than half the population is vaccinated, I would feel a little less stressed and anxious when heading out to do errands I normally do. I might actually feel comfortable to eat in a restaurant or see friends again one day if this is possible.”

Vijaya L. Seegulam, research project manager, Boston University

“Vaccinations have become a political issue in this country. I can only control my own actions. So once I was vaccinated, I would feel more comfortable changing my risk profile in small ways.”

Michaela George, assistant professor, Dominican University of California

“Once I and my family are vaccinated, I would change behaviors, except I can’t imagine being in a crowd or attending any crowded events until 80 percent or more are vaccinated.”

Julie Bettinger, associate professor, University of British Columbia

“The new normal will be continued masking for the next 12 to 18 months and possibly the next few years. This is a paradigm shift.”

Roberta Bruhn, co-director, Vitalant Research Institute

“I think widespread availability of vaccines will result in the further relaxation of most precautions by mid-to-late summer 2021.”

Michael Webster-Clark, postdoctoral researcher, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

But there will be changes that stick. One could be mask wearing when ill with minor infections like colds. Another is going to be increased working from home, now that so many businesses see it works, and can save money on office space.

imasinger

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 7:26 am
amother [Coffee] wrote:
the logical ones who don’t buy into nonsense like this Harvard study, which the NY TImes epidemiologists would probably love!

I clicked the link. It's not about a husband and wife.

The story is about and for people who want to sleep with a "new friend", and how the risk of getting the virus might be lessened.

Frankly, I think if the idea they might need to wear a mask during that act would be unpleasant, and would make them think twice, that's a good thing, and not ridiculous at all.

Back to OP. OP, try not to think about the future. Nobody knows what lies ahead. I'm getting close to 60, and can tell you that many times, the pundits predicted doom and gloom. Some of the predictions became things we still need to worry about at least a little, others disappeared.

If you can untangle your frustration ("I thought we'd be done by now") from your thinking about what life will be like for your kids (nobody knows), it would help.

In all likelihood, by this time next year, we'll be able to do at least a few of the things on your list.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 8:30 am
If I read too much secular fear mongering and start feeling anxious I remind myself how the media lead by
Al Gore predicted the world would end in ten years...many years ago.
Sensationalism sells.
Doom and gloom purveyors either sincerely mistaken or not continue on in whatever venue.

Ayn Od Milvado.

We know there is a happy ending B"H.

And we are in Hashem's Hands we do our hishtadlus and Hashem is in Charge.
Our nisayon is how to handle the craziness as best as possible.

We put our trust and faith in Hashem not these people.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 8:36 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

I was being equally careful before getting pregnant thank you very much. There are simchos happening that I would not go to if I wasn't pregnant either.

I am just being a little more stringent now. If I'm outdoors and 6ft apart before I would of unmasked but now I prefer to have the mask on anyway and try to do so more. Besides for that I am taking the same precautions.

I'm not kvetching poor me I'm pregnant and no one is being careful. I've been pissed off at people not being careful since March.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics