Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is bookkeeping for me-new question

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 6:50 pm
I love numbers. I want a job that is stress free. No multitasking, no kids, no creativity.

How much do you make?

What course can I take?

Is it easy to get a part time job?

Is it flexible for a mother (if kids are sick, weeks between school and day camp, fast days..My husband cant ever take off)

what is a decent starting salary for freelance, a few hours a week for a small business, I'm just starting out, almost no experience, never took a course, learning on the job.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:11 pm
Are there courses in monsey?

STovah

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:17 pm
Bookkeeping is generally easy and stress free though a lot depends on the work environment. I’m sure there are courses you could take online, and it’s pretty easy to pick up on the job.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:20 pm
STovah wrote:
Bookkeeping is generally easy and stress free though a lot depends on the work environment. I’m sure there are courses you could take online, and it’s pretty easy to pick up on the job.

Ok. Thank you. Do you know what the pay is like?

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:27 pm
At one point I thought of going for EA---- very different than bookeeping-- much more exciting in my view. I wouldn't call it (OR bookeeping) stress free, but if you love numbers, taxes can be a lot of fun. I was a tax advisor for 4 years and started on the advanced coursework but then for various reasons went a whole other direction (I love a lot of things, not just numbers). Basic tax stuff also isn't stress free because depreciation and multiple schedule E's and such can be a pain in the butt but it CAN be part time on a mom's schedule.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:29 pm
There are multiple parts to bookkeeping and some jobs only entail one small part of it. For example, A/R, A/P, reconciliations, reporting, payroll etc.
The stress levels are all based on the company you work for. I’ve had very high stress bookkeeping jobs. I now have stress at a certain time every month because there are deadlines I need to meet for financial reporting.

My job is tedious but I like it. I’m actually not good with numbers. I’m good at attention to detail and research and therefore I’m able to notice when numbers are off and I know how to do the proper research to get my answers to fix the issues .
I never took a course. I worked my way up over the years. I started out as a secretary where I just entered POs and SOs. I was then trained into A/P and later learned other parts of bookkeeping at other jobs.
Some bookkeeping jobs are part time but the busier companies prefer full time bookkeepers.
I think pay depends on experience and knowledge.

This job is not anymore flexible when kids have days off than any other job. It has to do with your boss or manager . Nowadays things got easier since we have the option to work remotely . But not every company works that way or has that flexibility.

I think someone Mr and Mrs Frankel used to give Quickbooks courses many years ago.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 9:27 pm
I’m a numbers person as well. I never took a course just learnt quickbooks on the job. Now I’m a bookkeeper full time for a few diff clients. I work from home chose my own hours. I charge $60 an hour and that’s on the lower end. I really enjoy what I do and Bh and quite good at it too. My clients know that I work very quick and their dollars fo quite far.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 9:39 pm
I have a very stressful life and I realized that I need a low stress job to balance it out. So is there no job out there for me Sad

The only non stressful job I ever had was working at a travel agency. But I don't think you can do that part time. Was thinking to do accounting but there are high pressured times and it's also full day jobs.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 10:05 pm
I work as a bookkeeper and make 50K annually for about 28 hours a week.
Not majorly high paying, but there are plenty of p/t jobs around. Its pretty flexible as its the type of work you can always do remotely if needed. I find my job relaxing and pretty stress free.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 10:17 pm
What would be he best way to start off?

I did some QuickBooks about 6 years ago. Learning on the job could be stressful too. If I want a very very part time job what would be the best way to get into it. I'm hoping to be able to eventually be able to work full time once kids are older.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 11:01 pm
I live in Long Island NY, work as bookkeeper for a frum organization and make 50k a year for a 28 hour work week. I can't say I love the actual work I do but its a very relaxed office and they are very flexible with me when my kids are sick have vacation etc.

I did work at at extremely stressful job a few years back and quit after a few months. I wasn't making the kind of money to make that kind of job stress worth it.

No one gets rich being a bookkeeper but you can definitely move up in a company. This is probably true for a lot of more administrative types jobs but I am a bookkeeper for 15 years and noticed that while a frum organization and a business may offer similiar starting salaries the business will have more room for advancement yet be a more stressful workload and enviroment where the frum organization is a more relaxed low key office setting there is a lot less room for advancement.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 7:53 am
What is a decent starting salary for doing a few hours for someone for a small business? I never took a course and only miniscule experience using quickbooks. I will learn on the job.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 8:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is a decent starting salary for doing a few hours for someone for a small business? I never took a course and only miniscule experience using quickbooks. I will learn on the job.

When I got my job 3 years ago. I started at 15 dollars an hour .. same thing no course. Minimal QB ...

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 8:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Are you asking about a job for a heimish company where salary is artificially inflated based on your stage in life? Or in a typical non-heimish office?

My boss is looking for a bookkeeper who he will train on the job. He has consulted many times with our local Jewish Vocational Services office and also with the other similar offices around our town and also on Glassdoor, etc. and he has set his entry salary at $13/hour for the 15-20 hours a week he wants. He will raise it to $15/hour once the person is trained and has proven they can do the job. He requires the person to work at least half of the hours a week in the office and at first, all of the hours in the office - remote work once he feels very comfortable with the person. Hours are flexible in terms of, the person can set their hours at any time between 9-5, but must stick to those hours through the employment.

Since you are coming in with nothing on your resume to speak of, you are putting the burden on your employer to train you. Like I mention, learn on the job posts are available but are few and far between and pay very little. Most offices want someone who knows how to do the job already.

What is preventing you from learning Quickbooks on your own time so you have that to put on your resume? This is the perfect time to take a course!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 8:42 am
watergirl wrote:
Are you asking about a job for a heimish company where salary is artificially inflated based on your stage in life? Or in a typical non-heimish office?

!

Freelance, a few hours a week for a small heimish company. Eventually I will want to take on more hours.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 8:43 am
singleagain wrote:
When I got my job 3 years ago. I started at 15 dollars an hour .. same thing no course. Minimal QB ...

How long did it take to up your salary? And how much do you make now? If you don't feel comfortable posting can I pm you?

singleagain

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 8:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How long did it take to up your salary? And how much do you make now? If you don't feel comfortable posting can I pm you?

Disclaimer doing voice to text because running late for work

I got a raise after a year and then the company was going through a bankruptcy in a rough patch so I didn't get another raise for 2 years and then it got too small raises in quick succession honestly I'm a little bit disappointed because I was planning to ask for the raise a little bit bigger but now we're a corporation and there's a policy in place and I was going to ask for more because I've been doing a lot more than just bookkeeping I don't feel comfortable giving out other details in person so if you want to PM me go ahead

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 8:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Freelance, a few hours a week for a small heimish company. Eventually I will want to take on more hours.

Have you already been hired by the company? Or is this the kind of job you are hoping to land? You have to have something to bring to the table or be willing to accept a very small salary while you are starting out if you want anyone to hire you.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 11:34 am
watergirl wrote:
Have you already been hired by the company? Or is this the kind of job you are hoping to land? You have to have something to bring to the table or be willing to accept a very small salary while you are starting out if you want anyone to hire you.

I was hired. I would want to take on more hours for other companies in the future.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 1:29 pm
IME, Many of the companies seeking freelance bookkeepers are looking for someone to clean up their unorganized or messed up books.
You need a high level of expertise for that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics