Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Make up artists

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:23 pm
Is it the norm for a makeup artist to take a 50% non-refundable deposit before booking an appointment? It is not refundable even if she is the one canceling. Thanks.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:25 pm
Now in Covid many Simcha people and venues are doing it.
Crazy I know. Maybe try someone else.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:28 pm
Thank you Ecru. I understand she wants to get a deposit beforehand. I just don't think it's fair not to refund it if she is the one canceling. What guarantee do we have if she cancels? Yes, I know I can ask her this, but was just curious if this is the norm.

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you Ecru. I understand she wants to get a deposit beforehand. I just don't think it's fair not to refund it if she is the one canceling. What guarantee do we have if she cancels? Yes, I know I can ask her this, but was just curious if this is the norm.

Are you sure it’s non refundable if she’s the one that cancels?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:37 pm
Yes, I'm positive. She said it's not refundable even if she cancels.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:26 pm
Is this a “brand- name” MUA?
My advice would be to go with someone with less of an IG presence, someone less popular.
They may be more reasonable.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:34 pm
She is on instagram, but I don't know if she is a "brand name" MUA. She did come highly recommended. I've been asking around and the consensus seems to be that it is crazy not to refund if she is the one canceling. I will look around. Thanks for the responses.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:00 pm
Any MUAs on here with an opinion about not refunding a 50% deposit if you are the one canceling?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:01 pm
Can I pm u two amazing MUA I know?
One I used for my wedding shes a good friend

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:06 pm
Ty Wheat, but I prefer to be anonymous because I have asked a lot of people IRL.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:08 pm
I would look for someone else.
There are so many good ones out there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:13 pm
I would like to use this person because some of my friends have been very happy with her. I am just concerned that she will not refund a 50% deposit if she is the one canceling. I am just curious if anybody has had the same experience with a MUA.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:15 pm
I work for makeup artist. She takes $200 deposit and refunds if she is the one to cancel - unless she finds a replacement... assuming replacement is up to par with her.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:28 pm
That sounds really strange. You could totally be left for a lurch! I've never heard of a service provider who makes you put down a nonrefundable deposit even if they cancel.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:35 pm
Yes, Orange. That is what concerns me. What guarantee do I have that she won't cancel out on me if she gets an offer from someone who has more "faces" to do? While it would not do much for her reputation, who knows? I see from most answers that people are agreeing with me that this is not the "norm."

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, Orange. That is what concerns me. What guarantee do I have that she won't cancel out on me if she gets an offer from someone who has more "faces" to do? While it would not do much for her reputation, who knows? I see from most answers that people are agreeing with me that this is not the "norm."

What's to stop her from taking deposits from 10 people and then running off to Florida and canceling on all of you?

It's bizarre.

bsy

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:54 pm
Makes no sense to me

ynms

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:56 pm
There are plenty good mua's. I would not use her if this her policy. Really not a smart idea.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:05 pm
Thanks for all the replies and for validating my concerns. I will look for someone else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics