Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What do you do if you go away Purim?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 11:25 am
We are thinking of going away for Purim this year since Purim is on Friday and Covid.
Do you tell people before that they don't come to your house to drop off mishloach manot?
Do you give tzedakah cards to neighbor's and friends before?
What about the Rabbi's you usually give?
We probably won't come home for shabbos.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 11:27 am
I don't know where you live that it's safe to travel, but assuming it's a real option, give shalach manos where you are going to be. If you want to give monetary gifts, you can do that beforehand. Ask a neighbor to take in anything left at your door.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 11:35 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I don't know where you live that it's safe to travel, but assuming it's a real option, give shalach manos where you are going to be. If you want to give monetary gifts, you can do that beforehand. Ask a neighbor to take in anything left at your door.

We are not traveling far by car. But not looking for Covid related comments if safe to travel or not.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 11:44 am
Just make sure you fulfill all the mitzvos of the day
Enjoy!

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 11:48 am
We hang a sign on the door that we're not home.
I send to teachers to school before purim.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:27 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:

I am a bit nervous to hang a sign on the door because UPS, Fedex or USPS worker will know we are not home.

I do plan on giving teachers in advance.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am a bit nervous to hang a sign on the door because UPS, Fedex or USPS worker will know we are not home.

I do plan on giving teachers in advance.

Oh I don't care if they know we're not home.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:19 pm
I wouldn't hang a sign either, for safety reasons. Ask a neighbor to bring things in.

Card are a good idea. A lot of people will be using them this year, just because of lack of time.

miami85

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:28 pm
Tell anyone--kids' friends whom you think might give you that you will be away that you won't be back until after Shabbos.

Traveling right now is a "do at your own risk". I travelled recently, I used my common sense and was careful and B"H I'm fine.

So many people have had it already that they can use their own risk assessment to decide this for themselves.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:35 pm

YIKES. Don't do that! Its like an invitation to robbers and other sundry bad guys.

Ask a neighbor to take in anything left for you. Better yet, pay one of their tweens or teens to do it, and tell them they can take a couple of things they love, so long as they let you know what it is so you know what you got.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:45 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
YIKES. Don't do that! Its like an invitation to robbers and other sundry bad guys.

Ask a neighbor to take in anything left for you. Better yet, pay one of their tweens or teens to do it, and tell them they can take a couple of things they love, so long as they let you know what it is so you know what you got.

We did it maybe once or twice. We hung a sign "We'll be back shortly." I'm not afraid of robbers, I live in a safe neighborhood in Monsey.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:54 pm
We did it maybe once or twice. We hung a sign "We'll be back shortly." I'm not afraid of robbers, I live in a safe neighborhood in Monsey.

I put a sign last year that said “A Freilichen Purim, sorry we missed you. Please help yourself to a mishloach manos located near the planter on the side of the door” and I left a box of MM for any visitor to take.

SingALong

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:47 pm
One year I went away. I notified neighbors, friends and family I won’t be home. I gave to teachers and rebbeim before I left. A neighbor took my packages inside for me.
I brought shalach manos with me to give to people where I was visiting for on Purim day.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:51 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I put a sign last year that said “A Freilichen Purim, sorry we missed you. Please help yourself to a mishloach manos located near the planter on the side of the door” and I left a box of MM for any visitor to take.

Oh, this is a better idea. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics