Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Have you made a tzunami cake?

mammale

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:19 am
I'd like to try, and am wondering what kind of frosting to use? Anyone have a recipe?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:56 am
No. But I googled tsunami cake. Really cool! Hatzlacha!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:04 am
Mini Tsunami Cake
You will need

Clear acetate
3” circle cookie cutter
Ingredients

Premade unfrosted sheet cake
Cake frosting
1 ⅓ cup heavy cream
1 ½ cup milk
4 tbsp cornstarch
1 can condensed milk
Desired toppings

In a medium saucepan, whisk together the heavy cream, milk, and cornstarch until smooth. Move to a burner on medium heat and continue to whisk until the mixture begins to thicken, about 5-6 minutes. Add in the can of condensed milk and whisk for a few more seconds. Remove from heat and cool completely. Optional: place a layer of plastic wrap onto the surface of the mixture to prevent a film from forming.
Using the cookie cutter, cut out cake rounds from the sheet cake and transfer to a sheet pan. Spread cake frosting over the top of half of the cake rounds, and use the other half to stack on top, creating double-layer cakes. Move to the fridge until cream topping has cooled completely.
Wrap a sheet of clear acetate tightly around each cake base, securing with tape to form a long tube. Spoon about a cup of the cream topping over the top layer of the cake, ensuring that none seeps between the cake and the acetate. Top with desired decorations and garnishes. When you’re ready to reveal the tsunami effect, gently loosen the acetate from the cake base, then pull up in a swift motion.

Videos at the link: https://www.allrecipes.com/art.....2021/

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 12:20 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Mini Tsunami Cake
You will need

Videos at the link: https://www.allrecipes.com/art.....2021/

This might have been the first hit Very Happy What about a pareve version?

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 3:04 pm
Call me a curmudgeon, but this trick doesn't make me think "wow, how cool" but "yecch, how messy" and then "someone figured out a way to take icing that never hardened enough to stay put on a cake and make it look deliberate."

BTW I am absolutely convinced that that is how 'molten lava cake' was invented. When life gives you a cake that flops, serve it anyway, give it a racy new name and let people think it was supposed to be that way.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 4:57 pm
Okay, I Googled.

A fun way to present a dessert, but for me it looks too gloppy to be enjoyable.

Hope it works out!

Plonis

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 5:54 pm
These ones look pretty awesome! The homemade ones... not as much.

mammale

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:33 pm
FF. Thanks for sharing! Have you made it?
Pink fridge - yes, I'm looking for parve. But after more googling, it appears that people use different kinds... I'm thinking it depends what consistency they are looking for.
Zaq - lol!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins