Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn only wants to be held
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 10:13 pm
My 2 week old only wants to be held. He's constantly crying and unhappy. I think he has reflux because he throws his back out and sddms uncomfortable. The last 2 days he's been spitting up more. He's on gentle ease formula. Which bottle would you suggest for him? He always gives me a "hungry look" but I don't want to just feed him because he's crying. Would you continue to hold him or let him soothe himself? Any other advice?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 10:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 2 week old only wants to be held. He's constantly crying and unhappy. I think he has reflux because he throws his back out and sddms uncomfortable. The last 2 days he's been spitting up more. He's on gentle ease formula. Which bottle would you suggest for him? He always gives me a "hungry look" but I don't want to just feed him because he's crying. Would you continue to hold him or let him soothe himself? Any other advice?

dr was just saying this week that a baby who needs to be held, should be held. can't spoil a baby that young. It's not easy but will help with security/attachement etc, in his words

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 10:16 pm
Hold him. He’s too young to self-soothe. If you think he’s not hungry then offer him a pacifier to satisfy his need to suck.

Get a baby carrier.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 10:17 pm
At two weeks, I try to hold my babies as much as possible. I feel that holding and soothing an infant is giving them a foundation of love and security for life. I even held them when sleeping, when I could. They start to self-sooth later, two weeks is really young.

I don't know much about the feeding, I would think that's something to discuss with pediatrician. But definitely make sure he's being fed when he's hungry and wants to eat, even if he spits (some babies are spitters. My six month old niece still spits occasionally - it's getting better - though now she's drooling instead - but she was a massive spitter, some babies just are like that).

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 10:19 pm
Of course hold them! In general the more you hold your babies the better it is. It’s really important to hold a baby so it’s something that’s really good to do even if your baby isn’t crying . Are you sure your baby isn’t hungry? Newborns can eat quite frequently and demand feeding is best. Mazel Tov btw!!

enjoying kids

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 10:21 pm
He may be overtired.
It was a real eye-opener to me when I learned that newborns cannot stay happily awake for more than 45 minutes. If your baby is fed and clean, then trying to soothe him to sleep amd put him in at the first sign of kvetchiness, arching, etc. may head off the crying. If you wait until he is in a full-blown fussy spell, you missed the window and it will be next to impossible to get him to sleep.
I practiced this on my most recent baby,and she was my easiest ever. Coincidence?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 10:25 pm
I hold him for a good percentage of awake time, rubbing his back to relieve pain. I'm just curious the reason behind his fussiness. He seems so uncomfortable which is the reason I don't just feed when he cries.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 11:02 pm
All my newborns wanted to be held all the time, I used a carrier.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 11:04 pm
Try swaddling, the ones with the velcro. Babies were squished and warm for 9 months and then suddenly they are all over the place and cold. I always held my newborns a lot but the swaddling really kept them happy and there was much less crying.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 1:08 am
A soft wrap carrier can do wonders right now. You can tuck him in against you, folding his knees up and in which can sooth his abdomen and back. Hell be warm and close to you, smelling your smell and hearing your heartbeat.

At that age I do whatever my baby wants, holding and feeding as needed. Besides the obvious things (burping frequently during and after feedings, making sure baby's not constipated, trying different formulas) if you really feel something is off don't hesitate to consult with your pediatrician. But a good carrier can be so soothing for a baby, often even more so than being held in your arms.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 1:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hold him for a good percentage of awake time, rubbing his back to relieve pain. I'm just curious the reason behind his fussiness. He seems so uncomfortable which is the reason I don't just feed when he cries.

He can't burp or fart by himself yet. That may be where the discomfort is.

Even with the best bottle and the best formula, he still is going to need help getting air out.

Is there a more experienced mom around you who can spend a few hours with you and help you figure out what he needs?

(And yes, he can be both full from gas, and still hungry!)

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:10 am
How often are you feeding him?

Yes, newborns need to held most of the time.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:21 am
Try dr brown bottles. They take all air out . My son was the same . Made a huge difference

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:28 am
Are you a FTM?

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:55 am
My 4mo often wants to sleep only on my lap. Either I use a sling or I just work on the computer during that time.

It's a stage that passes pretty quickly and they are only tiny once. It's hard to enjoy every minute of it but I am trying to sniff my baby and enjoy the tiny dependent warm cuddles as long as they last.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 10:32 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
How often are you feeding him?

Yes, newborns need to held most of the time.

Every 2.5 to 3 Hrs. Not a FTM. my first had reflux and would always burp and spit up right before the next feeding.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 12:38 pm
You may need to experiment with different formulas for a while.

DD had horrible colic until we got her on Enfamil Lacto-Free. It was like someone gave me a brand new baby! It was expensive and sometimes hard to find, but it was really worth it.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 12:53 pm
My 2 cents--if the baby is showing signs of reflux, it's worth having a consult with a pediatric GI doctor. Both of mine had this and I waited way too long to take my first to the GI. When my second started showing the same symptoms as my first, I took the baby to the GI right away. Sometimes babies need tweaks to their feeding or even low doses of some medicine. Thankfully, my second ended up having a much more comfortable infancy once we sorted out what was needed, ended up sleeping better, etc. Pediatricians are great, but they do not deal with GI stuff like reflux all day long. Reflux is different than the normal "spitting up" that babies do--it can be quite painful.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 12:59 pm
My baby was just needy at that age.
I called him half colicky.. cuz he wasn't a colicky baby but he needed a lot of me a lot of the time
I bought a baby wrap and wore him a lot and kissed his head.

First 3 months outside the womb are considered the 4th trimester so definitely hold or wear him
And just know he may just be needier or less settled in this new world than another baby.

Its hard but it passes and it'll be the best thing you did for him!

My needy baby turned into an independent 1.5yr old who still is needy at moments but overall great at being alone and sleeps very nicely in his crib all night!

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 1:08 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
My 2 cents--if the baby is showing signs of reflux, it's worth having a consult with a pediatric GI doctor. Both of mine had this and I waited way too long to take my first to the GI. When my second started showing the same symptoms as my first, I took the baby to the GI right away. Sometimes babies need tweaks to their feeding or even low doses of some medicine. Thankfully, my second ended up having a much more comfortable infancy once we sorted out what was needed, ended up sleeping better, etc. Pediatricians are great, but they do not deal with GI stuff like reflux all day long. Reflux is different than the normal "spitting up" that babies do--it can be quite painful.

What were some of the signs?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics