Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What does a camp mother do?
Previous  1  2

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 9:49 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Interesting. I didn't go to a frum camp. But what you're all describing we had as a camp social worker. We also didn't just have a nurse we had a full infirmary with a place for sick children to sleep and even a quarantine room (I can only imagine the use it would have gotten if they opened last summer) there were two nurses, two cit who helped and a doctor 2 times a week.

Meds were administered in the cafeteria by the nurse and she took her locked nurses cart from table to table.

I went to a chassidish camp and we had a full infirmary and a certified RN as our nurse. I think every camp has an infirmary as well as a doctor come a couple of times a week. Regular antibiotics for strept or the like were given in the cafeteria at meal times. Private meds the girls went to the nurse's office.

gibberish

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:08 pm
I think it fills the role of a social worker, but is not someone degreed

smss

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 11:25 pm
I agree with everyone who said the camp mother won't be checking in with your child personally unless there is an issue, something brought to her attention etc...

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 11:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow! So she was busy all day? How did she take care of her own toddlers/babies - or were you all grown up?
Did you resent that?

Sounds like it was a full time job there.
I did not realize they needed to do laundry and things like that. Isn’t there a service in most camps?

Do boys camps have camp mothers also or camp fathers instead?

Didn’t do laundry accept emergencies. Handled laundry service. Dealt with pickup and dropp off.
No babies. Ppl do it with babies but either it’s hard or they aren’t as involved.
My sons camp doesn’t have one. But the owners wife and mother kind of full the role.
My mother didn’t do anything medical. Can’t give meds. Only a nurse or dr in the infirmary. Once there was a huge outbreak in camp and a tremendous amount of kids got sick. Then she assisted in care - but most married staff had to get involved.

essie14

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 1:13 am
bwaybabe85 wrote:
I don’t remember having a camp mother. Any 1990’s Sternberg girls here?

Haha! I was reading all these posts and was going to reply the same thing!
I went to Sternberg from 87-94. There was no camp mother that I can recall.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 1:17 am
Milky Weiss was camp mother in sternberg

essie14

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 1:52 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:

Never heard of her. Was she there in the 80s?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 2:12 am
Yup

bwaybabe85

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:27 am

Okay the name does sound vaguely familiar. Thanks!

Simple1

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:35 am
OP, to answer your question, ideally a child is ready to go to camp when s/he does not need constant mothering. A camp mother is there just in case unexpected things come up.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:22 am

Not really... she was the assistant nurse. I worked in the infirmary when she was there. Maybe they changed her title a few years later?

I think she was officially trained as an emt

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:24 am
avrahamama wrote:
Interesting. I didn't go to a frum camp. But what you're all describing we had as a camp social worker. We also didn't just have a nurse we had a full infirmary with a place for sick children to sleep and even a quarantine room (I can only imagine the use it would have gotten if they opened last summer) there were two nurses, two cit who helped and a doctor 2 times a week.

Meds were administered in the cafeteria by the nurse and she took her locked nurses cart from table to table.

In a frum camp it would be too embarrassing for girls to be seen speaking with a social worker. The title would keep most girls away.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:09 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
In a frum camp it would be too embarrassing for girls to be seen speaking with a social worker. The title would keep most girls away.

But a camp mother fills a similar roll. Most high school girl counselors aren’t equipped to deal with anxiety, depression, mood swings. So if there is a girl suffering in the bunk they’ll typically bring her to the camp mother once they’ve reached their limit.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:13 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Maybe it would make sense to break that taboo. It might serve everyone well in the future.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:16 am
Amother blue, she was the camp mother. Yes she was an emt too and worked in Heller as emt there because they had no infirmary so far.
Regardless of what you saw in the infirmary, she was the camp mother. It’s not really an opinion question
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children