Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Medicaid Braces

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 10:47 pm
So I am new to medicaid, but I heard that they may cover braces. My orthodontist told me that Fidelis Medicaid wont cover, but United Healthcare Medicaid will cover. The problem is that none of my kids other doctors accept UHC, but orthodontist says that I can switch from Fidelis to UHC, get approved and then switch back, and once its approved through UHC, Fidelis will have to cover. Anyone have any experience with this?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 11:02 pm
Not sure.
Probably not.
Do a lot of research before you choose a Medicaid orthodontist.
My teen had his braces taken off recently and has to restart orthodontic treatment due to bad work done by the Medicaid orthodontist.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 11:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I am new to medicaid, but I heard that they may cover braces. My orthodontist told me that Fidelis Medicaid wont cover, but United Healthcare Medicaid will cover. The problem is that none of my kids other doctors accept UHC, but orthodontist says that I can switch from Fidelis to UHC, get approved and then switch back, and once its approved through UHC, Fidelis will have to cover. Anyone have any experience with this?

There’s only a 30 percent chance that they’ll cover (UHC).
My child’s was denied

bobeli

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 11:44 pm
It depends on the orthodontist, they submit to your insurance first if denied they recommend to switch to a plan that more likely will cover, after a few months you can switch back and they usually cover when you are in the middle of treatment.
I know people that did it and paying the pcp out of pocket was cheaper than braces

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 8:26 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Not sure.
Probably not.
Do a lot of research before you choose a Medicaid orthodontist.
My teen had his braces taken off recently and has to restart orthodontic treatment due to bad work done by the Medicaid orthodontist.

Oh no! Who did you use? I dont want to use the same one

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 8:27 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
There’s only a 30 percent chance that they’ll cover (UHC).
My child’s was denied

Do you know how many points they had when it was denied? (The insurance write s a letter and scores it with points....the higher the points the more likely they'll cover...)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 8:28 am
bobeli wrote:
It depends on the orthodontist, they submit to your insurance first if denied they recommend to switch to a plan that more likely will cover, after a few months you can switch back and they usually cover when you are in the middle of treatment.
I know people that did it and paying the pcp out of pocket was cheaper than braces

Can you recommend any good orthodontists? Did you have personal experience with them?

ladYdI

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 9:54 am
I use Zweihorn
They got half paid from Medicaid and I have to pay the other half. Around $5000 total.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 10:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh no! Who did you use? I dont want to use the same one

I don’t know if I’m allowed to name him on a public thread.
Check google reviews after you receive a recommendation.
Also ask the general dentist once you have a few potential Orthodonists you’re interested in using.
The oral surgeon I used for my child recommended Dr Wohl.
I’ll probably end up using him.
Not sure if he takes insurance.
Dr. Shirley Lew is also good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries