Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is compliance up?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 12:07 pm
The numbers in the US are going down and a doctor who spoke to CNN credited better compliance since so few Americans are fully vaccinated. Maybe it was his way of giving the credit to Biden although he didn't say that specifically.
Travel and indoor gatherings have decreased but the holidays are over and the weather is lousy so there probably is less socializing. There is probably the beginning of herd immunity in some areas due to very high infection rates.
I do think that fewer people are as adverse to masks as they were in the beginning and possibly the threat of more virulent strains is keeping people away from risky situations. It may be that the new administration is more science oriented and has been influenced people to take things seriously.
The number of deaths is so sobering that it is no longer possible to call it a hoax or to blame so many deaths on hospital negligence or calling every death a Covid death, even when Covid wasn't involved. It's not fake news and somehow no major country is considering cheap medications to be a game changer.
So to whom, or what should we be giving the credit for the decrease in infections?

elsily

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 12:51 pm
It’s not credit deserved by anyone. The numbers are going down because the peak from the winter holidays like Xmas and New Years is over. When people across the country all travel in order to gather together indoors without masks, infections will rise again. We can hope that won’t happen because weather will be getting warmer soon and more people are getting vaccinated every day.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 12:53 pm
They changed the cycle threshold for pcr tests, voila there are fewer false positives. It has zero to do with anything else.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 1:00 pm
elsily wrote:
It’s not credit deserved by anyone. The numbers are going down because the peak from the winter holidays like Xmas and New Years is over. When people across the country all travel in order to gather together indoors without masks, infections will rise again. We can hope that won’t happen because weather will be getting warmer soon and more people are getting vaccinated every day.

So you don't think that better masks, double masks, or a healthy respect for lethal variants have much to do with it.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 1:04 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
They changed the cycle threshold for pcr tests, voila there are fewer false positives. It has zero to do with anything else.

Here’s some info to help explain why that’s not correct. https://www.usatoday.com/story.....7001/

amother
Gold

Double masks makes no sense. The masks are already designed to filter as much as possible while allowing the wearer to breathe.

tigerwife

I can’t imagine compliance is changing since everyone is so stuck in their own beliefs and I don’t see how they could get data on it, especially so short term. If we’ve learned anything over the past year, it’s that the virus attacks in waves. We have consistently had periods of high numbers followed by low numbers (at least where I live!). People losing antibodies over several months are probably also a factor.

elsily

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 1:06 pm
southernbubby wrote:
So you don't think that better masks, double masks, or a healthy respect for lethal variants have much to do with it.

No, Americans have proven over and over again the last year that we dont like to follow the guidelines because FREEDOM. Can't Believe It

Laiya

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 1:08 pm
Farr's Law

wrote:
Farr showed that epidemics rise and fall in roughly a bell-shaped curve (a normal distribution) shape.

Farr shows us that once peak infection has been reached then it will roughly follow the same symmetrical pattern on the downward slope. However, under testing and variations in testing regimes means we have no way of knowing when the peak of infections occurred.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/.....lope.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:04 pm
No, compliance is not up. Holiday season is down. The virus is slowly becoming less foreign to many. And the WHO changed the PCR threshhold count.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:08 pm
It's a relative calm between 2 storms. I'm not sure in NYS between the relative difficulty in getting vaccines coupled with whatever the variants mean even for those who have gotten the vaccine that we will get much of a reprieve...there will just be another storm. My guess is it will spike up around Shavuos/Summer. hashem yishmor.

(FWIW, I am eligible due to work for the vaccine, and have it scheduled....but the soonest I could get was mid April!)

nycgal

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:14 pm
southernbubby wrote:

So to whom, or what should we be giving the credit for the decrease in infections?

Hashem

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:16 pm
nycgal wrote:
Hashem

Liked it twice.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:31 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Here’s some info to help explain why that’s not correct. https://www.usatoday.com/story.....7001/

I'm not reading anything that begins with the words fact check.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics