Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Zoloft and sleep away camp
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 8:48 pm
Dd is iyh going to sleep away camp and taking Zoloft. How does that work in camp? I’m not comfortable giving it to her to take independently, but I don’t want her young counselors and head staff to know...just the nurse. Can I give it to the nurse and rely on hippa that she can’t compromise dd privacy? And she ensures dd takes it daily?
Anyone do this before? And how does it work?
If I don’t feel it’s safe I want to keep dd home...which won’t be great since all of her friends will be away.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:04 pm
The camps send out a notice that you need to order your meds from a pharmacy that does dose trak (little packets stamped with the date on a roll in a box). Nobody knows about it. Your daughter goes to the nurse once a day and takes her meds. You call or email the camp nurse ahead of time to let her know.
They don't allow the child to keep meds by themselves.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:04 pm
As a camp nurse, I’ll say that this is a very common situation. No need for anyone to know what she’s taking. Many campers take daily meds which include allergy pills antibiotics synthroid adhd meds mood stabilizers and more. If need be counselors could know she needs to get her pill without knowing what she’s taking (to remind her to get it). Universally we try to call all meds vitamins. If she’s super responsible that wouldn’t even be necessary. I’d recommend speaking to the camp nurse prior to camp to figure out a system that’ll work for both the nurse and your daughter. But it really shouldn’t be a big deal to set up something discreet and effective.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:08 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
As a camp nurse, I’ll say that this is a very common situation. No need for anyone to know what she’s taking. Many campers take daily meds which include allergy pills antibiotics synthroid adhd meds mood stabilizers and more. If need be counselors could know she needs to get her pill without knowing what she’s taking (to remind her to get it). Universally we try to call all meds vitamins. If she’s super responsible that wouldn’t even be necessary. I’d recommend speaking to the camp nurse prior to camp to figure out a system that’ll work for both the nurse and your daughter. But it really shouldn’t be a big deal to set up something discreet and effective.

That's disgusting.

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:09 pm
Our camp had a set time every morning that the kids on daily meds had to go get it. The counselors knew who to remind to go but not what they were taking. Also you can speak to the nurse and if your daughter is the type to not go at the designated time, the nurse can page her and be on top of it. Speak to your camp nurse and set up a plan.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:11 pm
Why is referencing medication as vitamins disgusting? Many kids are self conscience about needing to take things daily, even if it’s a Zyrtec, somehow they seems more comfortable referring to it as vitamins. No harm done...

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:19 pm
Camp nurse here
I always speak to moms before camp
How old is your dd?
Does she usually take it on her own or you need to remind her?
If she usually takes it on her own and nurse and mom are ok with her keeping it in her room I had a little system where she would need to pass my table every morning at breakfast and tell me ‘I took it’ or just wave.
If she comes to the infirmary every morning Or evening nobody knows which medication anybody else takes. And other staff or counselors certainly don’t need to know this,
If she has a medical condition then yes counselors need to be aware.
This is very common and certainly not a reason to consider keeping her home

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:23 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Why is referencing medication as vitamins disgusting? Many kids are self conscience about needing to take things daily, even if it’s a Zyrtec, somehow they seems more comfortable referring to it as vitamins. No harm done...

1. Lying is inherently wrong
2. You're feeding the stigma
3. You're contributing to the misuse of the word "vitamin" and leading to misconceptions about nutrition (not all supplements are vitamins either)

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:37 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
1. Lying is inherently wrong
2. You're feeding the stigma
3. You're contributing to the misuse of the word "vitamin" and leading to misconceptions about nutrition (not all supplements are vitamins either)

1. Or encouraging the camper to be compliant by respecting their need for privacy
2. Vitamin is a code word in this case, this is not a health class, merely a word being used in a context to reference that which the camper wants to remain private.
3. Misconceptions by whom? If this girl
Is old enough to come to camp she knows what Zoloft is and is aware it’s not actual vitamin. No misconceptions just as #1...

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:41 pm
No, this implies that "vitamin" has a broad definition when it has a very narrow one. And I've seen adults use it this way, which is wrong and can be traced back to this euphemism.

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dd is iyh going to sleep away camp and taking Zoloft. How does that work in camp? I’m not comfortable giving it to her to take independently, but I don’t want her young counselors and head staff to know...just the nurse. Can I give it to the nurse and rely on hippa that she can’t compromise dd privacy? And she ensures dd takes it daily?
Anyone do this before? And how does it work?
If I don’t feel it’s safe I want to keep dd home...which won’t be great since all of her friends will be away.

I worked in a camp infirmary. Everyone just brings their meds to the nurse the first day- including Tylenol, motrin, allergy meds, etc and the nurse has bags labeled with ppls names and a notebook page for each girl. Every day she marks off who came to take her meds (if it’s daily stuff) if a girl doesn’t show they get over to pick up the nearest phone and then are told to go the infirmary. No one knows what anyone is taking and it’s normal to go. This is camp bais yaakov, not sure how it works elsewhere but prob similar

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:43 pm
Also, everyone knows that nobody has to go to take the daily vitamin the way you would with a drug.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:46 pm
The reason someone takes vitamins is because they are missing elements etc... sometimes medication is needed also because of a chemical imbalance. I dont see why its disgusting to call these medicines vitamins.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 9:46 pm
yeah my ds is on a few different adhd meds and Zoloft. He's 11 and would love to go to camp. I'm nervous at how it would work. Some of the meds need to be taken with food and some of them are twice a day. Is it a big deal in a boys camp?

amother
White

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 10:02 pm
When my kid was in camp, camp nurse gave the kids a treat in exchange for taking their medicine so it was more of an incentive to show up on time!!

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 10:12 pm
My boys camp has a special nurse just for medication. in general boys take medication more often then girls. It’s really not an issue

amother
Black

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 11:08 pm
Another camp nurse here.

Tons of kids take all kinds of meds (allergy meds, ADHD meds, thyroid meds, actual vitamins...)and no one knows what the other is taking or why. Be up-front with the nurse because she needs to know meds and dosages in case of emergency, but I've never shared which meds a kid takes except with the camp doctor.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 11:14 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Camp nurse here
I always speak to moms before camp
How old is your dd?
Does she usually take it on her own or you need to remind her?
If she usually takes it on her own and nurse and mom are ok with her keeping it in her room I had a little system where she would need to pass my table every morning at breakfast and tell me ‘I took it’ or just wave.
If she comes to the infirmary every morning Or evening nobody knows which medication anybody else takes. And other staff or counselors certainly don’t need to know this,
If she has a medical condition then yes counselors need to be aware.
This is very common and certainly not a reason to consider keeping her home

This sounds dangerous. What if another camper goes through her stuff and decides to try it?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:36 am
My 14 year old son took zoloft on his own in camp. I did not tell the camp. He would never have taken from a nurse.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:50 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
This sounds dangerous. What if another camper goes through her stuff and decides to try it?

Huh? Why would that ever happen?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics