Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Stimulus arriving this wk, who will need yom tov Tzedaka
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:44 pm
I'm just curious, for all those that struggle to pay the yom tov bills - this yr the stimulus money will be hitting bank accounts this week.
Who are Tomchei Shabbos and other similar organizations helping?

I'm not asking this is a mean way - I understand so many families including mine have a crazy amount of bills but many of these ppl are getting more than 10k this wk..so whats the big yom tov crisis?

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:46 pm
Because people are behind on mortgages, utilities, tuition, car payments, insurance etc... 10k is nothing for a family that is struggling. It just means they won't lose their house or have their gas shut off right away.

silverlining3

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:47 pm
Perhaps they'll be paying off debts with their stimulus, thus needing yt help.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:47 pm
We received kimcha depischa for a few years. The money always was sent a month before Pesach. How are you supposed to do your shopping otherwise?
I don’t know about you but my stimulus hasn’t hit yet. Baruch HaShem we do have the money this year. But the other 2 payments were messed up and I got way less than I should have. I got the difference when filing taxes. How can you possibly make Pesach with money that isn’t in hand?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:56 pm
I'm sure every bit counts when you're struggling. Good reminder to donate if you can.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:58 pm
And don't forget the families that make above the income limit but have more than average expenses in medical or therapy bills.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 7:02 pm

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 7:10 pm
We have 90k in depth, due to covid! Op you're very fortunate that you don't know anyone that's suffering

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 8:04 pm
I know I could certainly use some extra. I'm just barely OK right now, and if I eat really simple meals I can get through Pesach.

My big worry is that my water and electricity bills are coming soon, and I'm afraid that they will wipe out my Pesach budget.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 8:11 pm
People have maxed out there credit cards are behind in mortgages plenty still need help for Yom Tov!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 8:18 pm
I guess we should consider giving more to people in Isreal this year. They are always living on a lower standard and this year was especially hard because they had more lockdowns. I just came across an Isreali begging for money in the grocery. He took out a few coins to pay for the one thing he bought while asking the price while all the others where just merrily swiping their food stamps cards for arms full of stuff. My heart!

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 8:33 pm
What 10K am I getting?
I’m blessed with SIF!
So nice that you assume everyone has more that 5 kids!

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 8:38 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I guess we should consider giving more to people in Isreal this year. They are always living on a lower standard and this year was especially hard because they had more lockdowns. I just came across an Isreali begging for money in the grocery. He took out a few coins to pay for the one thing he bought while asking the price while all the others where just merrily swiping their food stamps cards for arms full of stuff. My heart!

Is there a list somewhere of the tzedakahs collecting for Eretz Yisroel?

I already gave to Colel Chabad and Tomchei Israel.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 8:41 pm
We’re getting maybe 3k
We’re so behind that it’s barely making a dent.
I’m not happy about this bill
The money will disappear in seconds and there will be repercussions.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 8:41 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Is there a list somewhere of the tzedakahs collecting for Eretz Yisroel?

I already gave to Colel Chabad and Tomchei Israel.

Unfortunately local people also need help maybe ask your rav if he knows anyone that really needs it

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 8:43 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Unfortunately local people also need help maybe ask your rav if he knows anyone that really needs it

We also gave for local, but that post was saying that Israel has it even worse because they don't have the safety nets we have in the US. So just wondering if there's a list of tzedakahs.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 8:58 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
We have 90k in depth, due to covid! Op you're very fortunate that you don't know anyone that's suffering

Quoting myself here

Op I want you to know, you would never assume that we have so much to pay back plus. We don't own our own home yet, the school is running after us to pay up with the stimulus check! And you know who else? The grocery, the butcher, the the cc company! He who put us into it will get us out of it! But please don't assume you know. Will we be taking from organization? No, because we can't afford to take (if you get it, you get it)

People are struggling more then ever before.

One last thing, were really not happy with this new bill. It will do more harm then good. Think in the long run.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:13 pm
Our stimulus is going straight to pay off debt that are pressing for a long time and we have no way of paying off otherwise.
We are still renting an apartment and struggling to pay groceries and tuition.
Being that my DH is working (vs. Kollel) we don't get store discounts or kimcha dpischa. Though we did sign up for Tomchei Shabbos because there's no way we can afford to buy cases and food.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:17 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Our stimulus is going straight to pay off debt that are pressing for a long time and we have no way of paying off otherwise.
We are still renting an apartment and struggling to pay groceries and tuition.
Being that my DH is working (vs. Kollel) we don't get store discounts or kimcha dpischa. Though we did sign up for Tomchei Shabbos because there's no way we can afford to buy cases and food.

Did I just write this post? Lol. Exactly the same. We will b'h be able to pay off a debt that we had no idea how we were going to pay, which is a huge load off our shoulders. Everything else is exactly as you described it.

Bas Yisrael

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:20 pm
OP, Not sure in what community you live, but even those with 5 to 12 kids in my community, are mostly always just about making it or very behind with payments all over. The high standard of living in many homes doesn’t make it easier for those struggling, even when they are not the kind to be keeping up with the Jones’s. A few people I personally know, told me that everyone from landlord to Schools, grocery, private debt etc. are all calling to say they want a piece of the pie. Then there’s also the fact that not everyone has lots of kids and of course many people didn’t earn income and didn’t even receive unemployment because of COVID. As an aside, I would really venture as far as saying that even 30 thousand is a drop in the bucket for a frum family. Many people have needs that are waiting for so long, I do hope it helps them out now. But the pesach expenses didn’t go away. I wish it were extra or at least that more families should be able to use it towards something meaningful like a down payment for a house etc. It’s a blessing from Hashem and I wouldn’t worry that it can cause more harm. Why do people need to think negative, when you can think positive? And last thoughts; believe it or not OP, there are many families in the US who wouldn’t have food to eat if not for those organizations. Not going into detail about how much every organization helps or doesn’t, but that’s irrelevant now. You can ask the same about who will benefit from Chai Lifeline or Bikur Cholim’s financial aid now, etc. if everyone received money.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics