Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Smoked Salmon Hash With Lemon-Mint Vinaigrette

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:29 am
I modified the recipe slightly because the instructions for the potato made no sense - whole potatoes without cooking. Recipes I am familiar with use cooked potatoes and then saute as part of the hash. The whole point of has originally I thought was to use up leftover cooked potatoes in some way.

So I could go two ways - slightly larger dice (e.g. 3/4") and parboil/steam or smaller dice (1/4") and just saute in the pan with the onions so the potatoes are cooked. I opted for the smaller dice and sautéing in the pan. If you have leftover potatoes, that would work as well.

The vinaigrette can be made ahead easily and works as a standard salad dressing as well.

Smoked Salmon Hash With Lemon-Mint Vinaigrette

I love Passover (see page 330), but somewhere around day five of the weeklong holiday, I begin to tire of the same old “matzo plus ____” routine. (Although matzo plus smashed avocado and sea salt is pretty special.) This dish, which gives corned beef hash a Jewish makeover, solves the problem of Passover monotony. Studded with chunks of smoky salmon and drizzled with a lemony, herb-packed vinaigrette, it is delicious all Passover long. It also makes an impressive centerpiece for breakfast or brunch year-round. The lemon-mint vinaigrette tastes great served over eggs, fish, chicken, steak, or roasted vegetables such as Breaded Eggplant and Tomato Stacks (page 206).

SERVES 6 TO 8

FOR THE LEMON-MINT VINAIGRETTE

1/4 CUP/10 G FINELY CHOPPED FRESH MINT
1/4 CUP/60 ML EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
1/2 TSP LEMON ZEST
1 TBSP FRESH LEMON JUICE
1 SMALL GARLIC CLOVE, MINCED OR PUSHED THROUGH A PRESS
1/4 TSP RED PEPPER FLAKES (OPTIONAL)
1/4 TSP KOSHER SALT
FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER

FOR THE HASH

2 TBSP EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
11/2 LB/680 G YUKON GOLD POTATOES, cut into 3/4” dice - see notes
1 TSP WATER
KOSHER SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
1 MEDIUM SWEET ONION, SUCH AS VIDALIA, FINELY CHOPPED
4 OZ/115 G SLICED SMOKED SALMON, CUT INTO BITE-SIZE PIECES

1. Make the vinaigrette: Stir together the mint, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes (if using), and salt in a small bowl. Season with black pepper. Set aside.

2. Make the hash: Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan set over medium heat. Add the potatoes and water, season generously with salt and pepper, and stir to coat. Cover and cook, stirring once, until the potatoes are just cooked through and brown in several places, 8 to 10 minutes.

3. Add the onion and stir to combine. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are a deep golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes more.

4. Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the salmon. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if desired.

5. Divide among plates and serve warm topped with the vinaigrette.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics