Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Ateret Torah?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 5:47 pm
did anyone ever work there? what is the type? how frum are the girls?

B"H YOM YOM

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 5:58 pm
It is a frum, yeshiva type, Sefardi school for girls (and boys). Great school and definitely insular in the sense that it is very much a Syrian Community school.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 5:59 pm
what do u mean very much syrian school?

B"H YOM YOM

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:04 pm
I mean just that. It is a Sefardi school catering to the Syrian community. May I ask as to why you are inquiring? Perhaps we can then answer your question more pointedly.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:12 pm
my sister got a job offer there, she wants to know about the school... she is nervous about the different lifestyle they have then her and is not sure if she will be able to conect to the girls.

B"H YOM YOM

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:33 pm
Since I do not know your sister, I can not forsee if she would be happy there. As to the girls, they are typical frum girls from Sefardi/SY (Syrian) homes. If she is Ashkenaz and have had no exposure to the SY community, then she will be opened up to a whole new wonderful world (no, I am am not Sefardic). It runs to its own beat as far as culture but as far as frumkeit, just like any other Ashkenaz Bais Yaakov. If this is for Lemudei Kodesh, she will have to learn to emulate the Sefardi havarah to the best of her ability. Wishing her the best of luck.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 8:59 pm
ok thank you.
btw how do you know so much about the school?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 9:07 pm
I see a lot of their girls around, since I live nearby.

They seem very frum. Some even a little yeshivish (although that term is not exactly a sfardic term). The few I know/knew are so sweet and nice. I used to be friends with someone who went there. Personally I didn't feel or notice any major differences being ashkenazic and she not. Besides for silly stuff like food they ate on shabbos, etc. If I were offered a job there, I wouldn't see any reason not to take it,

We are all part of the Jewish nation, and want to do retzon Hashem. Who cares where our grandparents come from (and it's not just syrians who are there, there are other countries of origin as well represented there), what food we eat, terms we use, and how we celebrate simchas. Or even bigger differences. It really shouldn't make a difference. The girls will not mind that she is ashkenazic.

Biggest proof: Reb. Zehava Braunstein.

QUEENY

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 9:14 pm
I am ashkenazic and I have been working in only sephardic schools in Brooklyn for the past 15 yrs. I love the kids I work with and yes there are many ways that they are different but it does not change how I feel about my students. Then again I taught in public schools and I adored the kids there too.

September June

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 10:09 pm
It's an SY Yeshivish school. There might be a bit of a cultural gap, but nothing major.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 10:24 pm
I taught in a BP chassidish school for one year, and then I taught in Ateret. I am a BP Ashkenaz girl. I taught English. 90% of the English teachers in Ateret are Ashkenaz, many of them BPers. The girls are frum, however there are cultural differences that are easy to get used to.
No intention of ruffling any feathers here, but the sfardi girls are by nature way more outspoken; sometimes that's a good thing, but it also resulted in way more chutzpa.
She will definitely have to grow a thick skin and not expect the formality of a BP school.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 3:06 pm
Anyone have contact info for school please?

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
I taught in a BP chassidish school for one year, and then I taught in Ateret. I am a BP Ashkenaz girl. I taught English. 90% of the English teachers in Ateret are Ashkenaz, many of them BPers. The girls are frum, however there are cultural differences that are easy to get used to.
No intention of ruffling any feathers here, but the sfardi girls are by nature way more outspoken; sometimes that's a good thing, but it also resulted in way more chutzpa.
She will definitely have to grow a thick skin and not expect the formality of a BP school.

I second all of this. I also worked in Ateret for a year. Especially in the English department, the staff is very Ashkenaz; the Hebrew department is more of a mixture between Syrian and other. Culturally the girls are somewhat different but I wouldn't worry too much. I also have friend who went to Ateret everyone is super typical.

LOL didn't realize this thread was from 2012.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics