Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
New kitchen

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 6:28 am
Just bought a home. It’s very old and needs lots of work. I can figure out what to fix in each room (mainly restrain wood floor, replace carpet, paint etc..) but the kitchen. Is a biggie. It is so old and so gross it needs to be completely redone.

I’m moving out of a tiny apt, I don’t have much experience with kitchens. But I have decent space to work with.

What color cabinets are currently in? (I know that what goes in can go out, just curious. Is all white still a thing? Is it practical? I love light and clean looking, but is all white the way to go with very little children? Pros ans cons!)

What else should I keep in mind?!

Tell me everything! I’ve only got one chance to do this!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 6:54 am
Look on houzz.com for inspiration.

White will always be classic but colors are coming in now. Walnut is very popular and so are shades of blues and greens.
Choose what you like not what's "in" because the style will change in 5 years anyway.

I wanted light but not white so I went with a light colored wood with gray undertones and I'm really happy with it.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:35 am
We have a off white/cream high gloss which looks great but gets dirty really easily. On the plus side it's really easy to clean. My previous light wood cupboards never really looked dirty but were much harder to clean. I would do the high gloss again just because it's so easy to clean. Once a week I wipe the lower doors over, and generally spillages as they occur.
Light colors make the kitchen look light and airy.
You want to choose something that makes you feel happy when you walk into your kitchen. It should be a happy space, where you will want to work and cook in. Also having space for a table of some sort is also great. I love my kitchen being the center of my house.

tweety1

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 9:26 am
I have white Formica with a beige grain. I love love it. I love the white because it makes the room look so much bigger. It's light and airy, but it's very practical because of the beige grain. I won't say it never gets dirty but it never has that dirty look even with my little kids around because the grain sort of camouflages it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 10:10 am
White paint is in. Gray paint is in. Greige (gray-beige) stained wood is in.

I'm seeing walnut and light-stained rift-cut oak in a few kitchen blogs and am seeing fewer medium stained browns in favor of lighter stains and espresso. My most recent cabinet orders are for natural bamboo, driftwood stained maple with an onyx glaze (dark greige stain), and painted gray and white. I also have a client planning a blue and white combination. In general, stained cabinets will look better down the road than painted.

In styles I am seeing Shaker & Shaker-ish, and flat slab. Raised panel only for those wanting a traditional look.

Whatever is in will be out in a few years and you will have to live with it for a long time, so get something you love!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 10:37 am
Do you think gold hardware (is that what it’s called? Knobs, handles etc...) is gonna be a thing of the past in a few years?

Yes I want to do a kitchen that I love. Not what’s in,,, but at the same time don’t want it to look outdated in a few yeara

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 10:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you think gold hardware (is that what it’s called? Knobs, handles etc...) is gonna be a thing of the past in a few years?

Yes, but at least knobs and pulls are easy to swap out so you will able to change the color.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 10:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes I want to do a kitchen that I love. Not what’s in,,, but at the same time don’t want it to look outdated in a few yeara

I did bronze hardware because that's what I always loved. I'm the one that has to look at it and I still love it because it's my timeless.
Do what you've always loved.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 12:06 pm
Repeating do what you love.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 6:03 pm
I have to say it's hard to know what you "love" because much is influenced by what's "in." I loved grey a few years ago, now I want nothing to do with it.
I just did a kitchen. It's easier when you're on a budget because the LIMITED options you have make it easier to choose.
White is cheapest, so I went with white. I didn't like the idea of white because of kids, so I actually did a darker walnut for the bottom cabinets.
The counter I did the cheapest white quartz that I found.
The hardware I bought on Amazon (Champaign gold/bronze - I love it).
the backsplash I bought from Home Depot - again, I was on a tight budget so I couldn't spend so much. I found a nice square tile that I like. Realize that the mosaic glass tiles are much more expensive. You can get a 99cent per square foot Subway tile from Weissman Home Outlet if you're in Brooklyn and you like that look.
the floor is still up in the air, but most carpet stores have cash and carry for luxury vinyl plank, which I highly recommend. If you plan to put down ceramic, first check that your basement ceiling can handle the weight.
I bought appliances from MS appliances - found them to be cheaper because they have no tax. Yes, I priced Town. Still cheaper (when I bought).
Try to have the place that designs your kitchen also install it. They take care of things like trims, moldings, and solve any space problems that may come up. We got a low end shaker cabinet from a high end company. Wasn't so hard on the wallet.
Find out if you want to put in a whole house filter, or under sink filters.
Sinks are pricey - see if the kitchen store sells them - good to get from one place.
Faucets are also pricey - but worth it.
Let me know if you have more questions. Literally went through this.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 6:34 pm
To add to the discussion anyone recently did acrylic cabinets ? I’m thinking of changing my thermo foil cabinets which have all peeled due to cooking damage ? Also anyone’s thoughts on a double oven ?
Thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen