Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Blue kitchen?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:29 pm
Were buying a new house that includes a kitchen which we went to pick out today. I was planning on doing a color on the bottom, like blue or grey and white on top. Turns out the builder only included the colored in the package and the white cabinets I need to pay extra for. We’re on a tight budget and really didn’t plan on paying for any upgrades. Trying to decide if I should take an all blue kitchen or it’ll be too much. It’s a standard shaker cabinet and the blue is medium- dark, stained wood. It’s a really pretty color. My kitchen is really big with lots of windows. Well do a white counter top so it won’t be so dark. I’m still afraid that it’ll be too much. Should I pay the extra for white top cabinets or should I take the risk and go with all blue?

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:38 pm
Are you sure you understood correctly? White is usually standard, and colored an upcharge.

mizle10

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:39 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
Are you sure you understood correctly? White is usually standard, and colored an upcharge.

I agree with this. White should be cheaper than blue.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:43 pm
Yes. I asked her 3 times. I was sure they’ll give me white and I’ll have to reserve my urge to add money for colored bottom cabinets because I wanted more character. It looks like they just choose whatever people prefer as an upgrade in order to make more money. It’s really weird.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:48 pm
How big of a price difference is it?
Why don’t you look on houzz at some all dark kitchens and see if you like the effect?
I like the all blue look better because it’s more symmetrical and to me that is more pleasing to the eye. The white counters, good lighting and white doorways, windows etc will open up the space.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:59 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:

This is not true. It is because painted cabinets are more than stained. OP specifically said it is blue stain and therefore would be cheaper than white painted.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:01 pm
Is there a possibility of painting it down the line if you don't like how it looks?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:03 pm
If you have a big kitchen and good light, all blue will be beautiful!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:10 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
This is not true. It is because painted cabinets are more than stained. OP specifically said it is blue stain and therefore would be cheaper than white painted.

They are including painted options in the package. But only a dark and medium grey. I don’t like either shade and also feel that stained gives the kitchen more character versus painted which is one shade.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:12 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
If you have a big kitchen and good light, all blue will be beautiful!

I appreciate your input as I know you’re in this field. It’s the first time in my life that I’m buying a kitchen so I’m not trusting my tastes and preferences.

rach1357

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:41 pm
I have a dark navy all blue kitchen white countertop and backsplash with medium grey tiled floor. I don’t stop getting compliments it’s beautiful and not too dark at all. I remember being in similar situation to you. U can dm me for oics

amother
Wine

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:21 am
When we remodeled our kitchen, I really wanted blue cabinets. However, they were very expensive. Then we thought about getting white cabinets with blue counters. Still, even the white was too much.

Instead, I have Honey colored Maple Cabinets (stained wood was much less!), white tile backsplash, and blue counters. I love it! Appliances are all white. My flooring is gray, with light brown and blue streaks and coordinates perfectly!

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:25 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
When we remodeled our kitchen, I really wanted blue cabinets. However, they were very expensive. Then we thought about getting white cabinets with blue counters. Still, even the white was too much.

Instead, I have Honey colored Maple Cabinets (stained wood was much less!), white tile backsplash, and blue counters. I love it! Appliances are all white. My flooring is gray, with light brown and blue streaks and coordinates perfectly!

Would love to a picture!

tweety1

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:41 am
Make sure the counters and backsplash are a light color and it will be fine. Do stainless or white appliances.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:45 am
Going anon because I have a very distinctive kitchen. I have turquoise cabinets, white counters and gray floors. I absolutely love my kitchen and it brings me joy every single day and I get TONS of compliments. most people tell me they arent brave enough to do it themselves but they love mine.
It's open plan and has lots of light.
I say go for it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 10:07 am
What color appliances should I get? White or stainless?

Teomima

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 10:30 am
The house I grew up in had a kitchen with blue cabinets and white appliances. I loved it.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 10:40 am
Stainless steel. I will be the dissenting voice and say you should pay for white upper cabinets. Too much going on is a real headache.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 10:45 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Going anon because I have a very distinctive kitchen. I have turquoise cabinets, white counters and gray floors. I absolutely love my kitchen and it brings me joy every single day and I get TONS of compliments. most people tell me they arent brave enough to do it themselves but they love mine.
It's open plan and has lots of light.
I say go for it.

Similar. I have turquoise floor, paint, and backsplash but white cabinets. I get complimented on the turquoise all the time.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 10:49 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Similar. I have turquoise floor, paint, and backsplash but white cabinets. I get complimented on the turquoise all the time.

Awww, soul sister!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen