Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Always hot but ac makes my baby cold

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 11:17 pm
I dress my baby warmly but the vent blows directly on his crib and for some reason doesn’t close all the way. I can’t safely cover with a blanket and the sleep sack provides only so much warmth. Hands still get freezing and I don’t like cold air blowing on his face. He sleeps in the coldest room in the house and I don’t have an alternative. Can’t move his crib away either. Any ideas? I sweat my sheets through every single night because either I can’t put on ac at all or can’t put it on low enough.

Eta: we have central.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 11:19 pm
Can you tape a piece of cloth or paper over the vent in his room?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 11:21 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Can you tape a piece of cloth or paper over the vent in his room?

It’s too powerful. It’s a new system and way more powerful than I remember c/a being. Also when I try to close the vent it makes a really loud whistling noise which isn’t conducive to sleeping.

hellokitty

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 11:30 pm
maybe an air sucking type fan to pull the cooler air away, or to blow in some of the warmer air from the other rooms? whichever way the fan positioning works best

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 11:40 pm
Could you cover the vent with one of those window insulation things?

amother
White

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 12:18 am
I get very irritated when I’m hot. I’d have a very hard time being pleasant if I were in your situation. When my AC breaks it’s bad news.
If I were you I’d really really consider being creative about moving him.
Can you tell us why you can’t move him and we can troubleshoot? Can you put him in the laundry room?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 12:23 am
I would have a fan blowing at me so I'm not sweating

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 12:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I dress my baby warmly but the vent blows directly on his crib and for some reason doesn’t close all the way. I can’t safely cover with a blanket and the sleep sack provides only so much warmth. Hands still get freezing and I don’t like cold air blowing on his face. He sleeps in the coldest room in the house and I don’t have an alternative. Can’t move his crib away either. Any ideas? I sweat my sheets through every single night because either I can’t put on ac at all or can’t put it on low enough.

Eta: we have central.

I know some people with central who have a regular ac installed in their master bedroom window in addition to the central in the house

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 12:29 am
My husband does HVAC.
Is it a newer unit? Then it probably has something called a damper on the attic that can be manually closed to limit the amount of air coming into the baby's room.

If you don't have it, you can have a HVAC guy install a damper.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 12:36 am
Move crib to a different location

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 12:51 am
Are there any safe heaters that are non flammable that you can put in the baby’s room?

Btw, my room is freezing as in addition to central air, we have a wall unit in out bedroom and a ceiling fan.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 7:00 am
You can cover the part of her vent that blows on her (not the whole thing). It is a strong magnet but can sometimes fall down so don't just stick it on if the vent is directly above baby. Instead, you can unscrew the vent cover, put down the magnet, and then put back on the vent cover and screw it in.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....image

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 7:16 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Move crib to a different location

This.

You say you can't, but you need to think further outside the box.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 7:21 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
You can cover the part of her vent that blows on her (not the whole thing). It is a strong magnet but can sometimes fall down so don't just stick it on if the vent is directly above baby. Instead, you can unscrew the vent cover, put down the magnet, and then put back on the vent cover and screw it in.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....image

This looks perfect, I just ordered it. Thank you so much. Never even knew it existed!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics