Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I saw a bochur on scooter get knocked over by a car

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 11:49 am
I was on my way to an appt today, and witnessed a bochur on an electric scooter get knocked over by a grey minivan, the driver stopped for a second and then drove off.
The boy got up, with obvious pain in his hand.
I caught the license plate number, and gave it to him, and made sure he is okay.
He wanted to know if he should call the police, it since he seemed young and the car had left, I told him to call it once he is near a parent or adult.

After leaving the scene, I keep wondering if I should have given him my contact info so that I can verify the story if necessary. So the next best thing....I’m writing here that I’m available for contact...

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 11:52 am
Yes, I think you should've given him your number and stayed with him till a parent/police arrived. But you can't go back in time now. What you can do, is call the police to tell them that you witnessed it and give them the license plates.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 11:53 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Yes, I think you should've given him your number and stayed with him till a parent/police arrived. But you can't go back in time now. What you can do, is call the police to tell them that you witnessed it and give them the license plates.

This is what I would do once the opportunity has passed.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 11:59 am
I think it's awesome of you for posting here, instead of brushing it off. Thumbs Up

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:01 pm
You could still call the police and give them a statement and this info, that's what I would do.

So upsetting, and so glad the bochur is okay.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:17 pm
MrsDash wrote:
I think it's awesome of you for posting here, instead of brushing it off. Thumbs Up

This too!

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:22 pm
The bochur refused to stay (and I had a timed sugar test to get to).
When I parted ways with him he was on he phone with an adult.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:27 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
The bochur refused to stay (and I had a timed sugar test to get to).
When I parted ways with him he was on he phone with an adult.

Oy he left? He was probably shaken up and just wanted to get away. I think the right thing to do at this point is for you to call the police.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:28 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
You could still call the police and give them a statement and this info, that's what I would do.

So upsetting, and so glad the bochur is okay.

You would really do that? I feel so uncomfortable doing that without a victim etc.
Whom would this help out?

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:37 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
You would really do that? I feel so uncomfortable doing that without a victim etc.
Whom would this help out?

Why do you feel uncomfortable? Call and say "I witnessed a hit and run on whatever location and I have the plate number." This would help the victim and the person that did it needs to get the consequences for what he did.
Do you have a dashcam that might have recorded it?

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:42 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Why do you feel uncomfortable? Call and say "I witnessed a hit and run on whatever location and I have the plate number." This would help the victim and the person that did it needs to get the consequences for what he did.

No, I was walking.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:44 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
No, I was walking.

If there's chaveirim/shomrim in your neighborhood, you can also call them.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:44 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
If there's chaveirim/shomrim in your neighborhood, you can also call them.
I like this idea better.

chava101

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:51 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

Why would you need to be the one to report? The bother has parents and I would let them handle this as they see fit.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:57 pm
chava101 wrote:
Why would you need to be the one to report? The bother has parents and I would let them handle this as they see fit.

Because she saw what happened and she has the license plate number and it's only mentchlich to report it. The parents don't have the plate number and OP has no way of contacting the parents.

sky

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 1:02 pm
A friends child was once hit by a car. He got up shaken. The driver asked if he was ok. He said yes and they guy left.
The child walked home and it turned out he had injuries and huge expenses. Insurance wouldn’t cover the injuries bec it was caused by a hit and run. It ended up being a huge headache and expense for the family.
Often children and teens don’t know how to react in such situations.
Calling the local police office could help the parents tremendously down the line.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 1:04 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Because she saw what happened and she has the license plate number and it's only mentchlich to report it. The parents don't have the plate number and OP has no way of contacting the parents.

I did have him save the license plate number. I gave it to him

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 1:08 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I did have him save the license plate number. I gave it to him

Oh, that's great. I don't know how I missed that in your original post. I hope the parents made a police report. I'd call chaveirim/shomrim to ask if there's anything you should do as a witness. I think if there are witnesses, the police will do more to try to find the person who did it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics