Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Do you simmer your chicken soup covered or uncovered?
Previous  1  2

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 8:23 am
Bring to boil, lower to low simmer. Keep simmering, uncovered so it can reduce. This is how it achieves the rich flavor.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 8:26 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Oy. Sad

Okay. I didn’t know. I’m still trying to get the hang of cooking chicken soup that’s all I was just asking we all make mistakes especially in the kitchen I’m still learning been married almost 3 years and can’t even cook a pot of chicken soup Sad it sucks it’s like this and I wish I got Jewish cooking classes back in the day or at least watched somebody cook heimish food (I only watched my mother and learnt from her) but I got married only knowing my mother’s recipes and scrambled eggs... I’m still learning Sad it’s gonna take a while for the food to become perfect and I thought it was safe to ask here so I asked hoping to get some advice and tips. The soup is now in containers freezing in the freezer we are going out for a meal tonight.

We’ve been invited out for Friday night too many times and when we’re home sometimes the soup comes out good sometimes it needs a little more salt but Bh we never got sick. Hubby says it’s perfect every time but I am always looking to improve.

My husband told me not to put a hot pot in the fridge right away...I have to let it cool down and then I can put it in the fridge.
I moved the pot to the front where it’s not so warm to cool down but then I fell asleep and then woke up this AM to see that hubby moved it back to the back burner (probably so my son won’t get to it). Idk why he didn’t put it in the fridge but I’m being dan lkaf zechus. Maybe he was in a rush who knows.... but I got my answer already.

I was told by many people in real life and saw instructions here to cook on low for a few hours. So that’s what I been trying to do...

You are not doing anything wrong. If I make my soup on Thursday, I also do what you are describing. I let it simmer on a very low simmer for hours, like 5 or 6 and yes, if it is way too hot to put in the refrigerator when I go to bed at 10ish, I also leave it out, covered, on the counter. My husband wakes up early for neitz (around 3am) so he puts it away then. Also on Shabbos night if it is a summer shabbos and the soup is too hot to put right in the fridge, we do the same. We have been doing this almost weekly for 15 years and BH its fine.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 8:28 am
watergirl wrote:
You are not doing anything wrong. If I make my soup on Thursday, I also do what you are describing. I let it simmer on a very low simmer for hours, like 5 or 6 and yes, if it is way too hot to put in the refrigerator when I go to bed at 10ish, I also leave it out, covered, on the counter. My husband wakes up early for neitz (around 3am) so he puts it away then. Also on Shabbos night if it is a summer shabbos and the soup is too hot to put right in the fridge, we do the same. We have been doing this almost weekly for 15 years and BH its fine.

Same.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 9:28 am
I make big batches of bone broth all the time.
Covered very low flame and I cook it for over 24 hrs.
After I strain it and once it’s cooled I place it in the fridge
After a few hours the fat rises and solidify’s
I remove the fat

I keep the fat in the fridge for cooking

The broth under is like jelly
I then distribute into containers and freeze

When I want soup I add some veggies and leftover diced or shredded chicken ( or not)
And simmer for about 1/2 an hr.

I also use the broth for cooking.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 12:38 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Oy. Sad

Okay. I didn’t know. I’m still trying to get the hang of cooking chicken soup that’s all I was just asking we all make mistakes especially in the kitchen I’m still learning been married almost 3 years and can’t even cook a pot of chicken soup Sad it sucks it’s like this and I wish I got Jewish cooking classes back in the day or at least watched somebody cook heimish food (I only watched my mother and learnt from her) but I got married only knowing my mother’s recipes and scrambled eggs... I’m still learning Sad it’s gonna take a while for the food to become perfect and I thought it was safe to ask here so I asked hoping to get some advice and tips. The soup is now in containers freezing in the freezer we are going out for a meal tonight.

We’ve been invited out for Friday night too many times and when we’re home sometimes the soup comes out good sometimes it needs a little more salt but Bh we never got sick. Hubby says it’s perfect every time but I am always looking to improve.

My husband told me not to put a hot pot in the fridge right away...I have to let it cool down and then I can put it in the fridge.
I moved the pot to the front where it’s not so warm to cool down but then I fell asleep and then woke up this AM to see that hubby moved it back to the back burner (probably so my son won’t get to it). Idk why he didn’t put it in the fridge but I’m being dan lkaf zechus. Maybe he was in a rush who knows.... but I got my answer already.

I was told by many people in real life and saw instructions here to cook on low for a few hours. So that’s what I been trying to do...

Relax, spoiled soup is really easy to tell. It smells sour, tastes off and gets a bad consistency.

I've cooked my soup since Wednesday night. Bring bones, onions, and a peeled beet (all in a soup bag) to a boil. Skim fat. Lower to simmer and cover. Leave covered until you're done. On Fri morning I put in the veggies so they're not overcooked.

Now though I make in instant pot. 1:20 minutes, bones onion beet still in bag, veggies chopped outside the bag. (I had to go anon for this lol)

And I always leave it out for a few hours to cool off before putting in fridge. Put near open window (when it's cold out, not now) and take lid off.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics