Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I run a No-Iron household. AMA!
Previous  1  2  3

teachkids

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 7:51 pm
gyf45 wrote:
How do you all manage with cotton? My kids summer clothing is like 75 percent cotton - they wld look so wrinkly if I didn’t iron maybe it’s bec I don’t put any tshirts or pants and dresses in the dryer? Is that how they come out wrinkle free?
My highlight this year was getting shabbos robes that are iron free. Yay

All my daughter's clothes is 100% cotton. Dry it. Fold it. Within half an hour of getting dressed it lies properly on her. I've never had an issue.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:13 pm
When I was little, and shopping for clothes with my mom, she made me do a test. If I wanted something she would make me carry it around the store for 5 minutes, crumpled up in my hot little hands. If at the end of 5 minutes it was a wrinkled mess, she wouldn't buy it. Smart mom! I still do the crinkle test on clothes if I'm not sure.

I prefer to use a handheld clothes steamer whenever possible. If the wrinkles are small and I'm feeling really lazy, I'll just hang the clothes in the bathroom and shut the door tight when I take a shower. Usually the humidity is just enough to make the wrinkles drop out.

I'm not particular about having things look totally crisp all the time. If it doesn't look like I slept in them all night, and just rolled out of bed, then it's all good. Very Happy

elaela

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:28 pm
I iron but we dont own a dryer. sometimes I only iron dh's shirts. if I can I iron most of te cotton stuff- it looks fine unironed, but more cirsp and tailored when ironed. its definitely not a must, but makes a difference. everyday kids clothes??? I hardly ever iron, because why would they have to look crisp and tailored while playing in mud??? clothes I wear to work or to a gala/event I prefer to be ironed, but again its NOT a must, as the clothes looks still fine unironed.

runninglate

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:24 pm
Am I the only one who avoids Perler beads like the plague?😀 They are the biggest mess and not something I want around the house with a baby.
Seriously, you all put everything in the dryer? I don’t because I’m afraid it will shrink. Uniform shirts get really creased and need ironing. And summer clothing...

bernadette

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:34 pm
raich wrote:
Perler beads! I'm rolling.

When I tell most people about my laundry habits their eyebrows generally tend to disappear into their hairlines. But it works for us. Some people even iron their bed linens (like my mom Can't Believe It ) and I just don't get it.

Is your mother from Brazil? My mother is from Brazil and she does that.

Shuly

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 3:39 am
My iron broke 2 years ago and we haven't replaced it.
I buy DH non-iron shirts. Put them in the dryer for 10 minutes and then hang up right away. They look great.

FF, I also do the crinkle test on clothing before buying! I pinch a little corner and if it gets creased, I don't buy it.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 3:56 am
My daughters use the iron for their uniform shirts if they ar wrinkled or not dry enough.
My sister dies alterations and does not own an iron. She gives her customers a “discount” if they my will iron it at home.
Big fan here of non-iron shirts and washable suits.

jerusalem90

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 4:51 am
Haha, I thought you meant you don't own any Iron pots/pans and I was going to ask you why

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 5:42 am
You mean to tell me irons have a use besides for perler beads?

DREAMING

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 9:34 am
Sweet Sour wrote:
Twice a year I iron my husbands white kittel some of my dresses. AND that is basically it. Actually untrue just bought a cute shabbos shirt for kids that needs to be ironed......

My husband`s shirt look great!

I use plenty starch liquid, no softener, and hang to dry asap. I spray the collars again with starch.
When he realizes its not ironed.....well lets just say im kind of curius, but dreading too Wink

What’s liquid starch? And how is it used

s c

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:05 pm
I never iron anything except shirts. I get my cleaner to do them but it takes a lot of her time. I buy non iron shirts and have tried everything to not have to iron them but they just don't look good enough. Any failsafe tricks would be appreciated.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 6:20 pm
No iron shirts don't last forever. and they're treated with a chemical to keep them looking unwrinkled.

DREAMING

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:09 pm
DREAMING wrote:
What’s liquid starch? And how is it used

Anyone???

Teomima

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 12:59 am
DREAMING wrote:
Anyone???

https://www.thespruce.com/what.....46382
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics