Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Karmiel

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 7:48 pm
I saw in the post below ( I am not the poster of that thread) that there are some posters here that are familiar with Karmiel. My family is looking into making aliyah and I actually wanted to know more about Karmiel to see if it would make sense for my family.

Are the schools good at working with children of olim to help them acclimate?

What is the community like?

Is there a shul that most anglos frequent?

What neighborhoods do anglos live in?

Any and all info is welcome !

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 12:23 pm
Bump anyone?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 12:40 pm
I don't live there. One of my friends does, and from her I get the impression that the english speaking community is limited. She tends to be rather lonely, because she doesn't speak Hebrew, and the english speaking community isn't large enough to do a great deal.

She doesn't have children, which might have made it easier for her to integrate.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 1:25 pm
The schools are not great at getting kids acclimated - they are good schools, with good educators, and do the best to work with you (providing tutors ect.), but they do not have it systemized and you need to be proactive.

The community is a really big range;
There is the dromit area and rabin. The dromit is more right wing charedi with a bunch of american families sprinkled in. Rabin is much more of a mix with everyone from secular to , dati leumi, BT's at different stages, to very right wing charedi davening together in the same shul.

Both areas have american families although there is an officail Young Israel shul that's officially american with an american Rabbi, most of the americans mix with the israels. The ones who are successful make a big effort in becoming friends with and integrating with the Israeli's.

IMO the big mistake anglo's make is moving to the dromit over rabin - because there are bigger homes for cheaper there. Rabin has a smaller number of anglo's (about10 families) but it is a smaller more cohesive and inclusive community in general, and most of the families live close to each other, as opposed to the dromit which has say 30 families but is more spread out.

I would spend a shabbos in both neighborhoods to get a feel before making a decision. If you post under your screen name I will pm with you with contacts of ppl. in both area's

Batyah85

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:27 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
The schools are not great at getting kids acclimated - they are good schools, with good educators, and do the best to work with you (providing tutors ect.), but they do not have it systemized and you need to be proactive.

The community is a really big range;
There is the dromit area and rabin. The dromit is more right wing charedi with a bunch of american families sprinkled in. Rabin is much more of a mix with everyone from secular to , dati leumi, BT's at different stages, to very right wing charedi davening together in the same shul.

Both areas have american families although there is an officail Young Israel shul that's officially american with an american Rabbi, most of the americans mix with the israels. The ones who are successful make a big effort in becoming friends with and integrating with the Israeli's.

IMO the big mistake anglo's make is moving to the dromit over rabin - because there are bigger homes for cheaper there. Rabin has a smaller number of anglo's (about10 families) but it is a smaller more cohesive and inclusive community in general, and most of the families live close to each other, as opposed to the dromit which has say 30 families but is more spread out.

I would spend a shabbos in both neighborhoods to get a feel before making a decision. If you post under your screen name I will pm with you with contacts of ppl. in both area's

Thank you for the information . I am posting under my screen name now SmileI would appreciate being able to get in touch with any of your contacts there- thank you !
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions