Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Names of people in tanach that stood up am for emes
Previous  1  2

salt

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:27 am
etky wrote:
Or simply Levi, their forefather. Shevet Levi were the one's who answered Moshe's rallying call after חטא העגל.
“וַיַּעֲמד משֶׁה בְּשַׁעַר הַמַּחֲנֶה וַיּאמֶר מִי לַה’ אֵלָי וַיֵּאָסְפוּ אֵלָיו כָּל בְּנֵי לֵוִי:”
And if you want to go back further, Levi (with Shimon) would not tolerate the sullying of his sister Dina and avenged her rape. He certainly stood up then for what he thought was right (even though his father wasn't pleased by his and Shimon's actions...)

Oh so I stand corrected, it wasn't Aharon who said מי לה' אלי
It was Moshe.
Well Moshe is a short name, and so is Levi.

And Levi was father of Moshe, Aharon, Pinchas, and Yirmiyahu too if I'm not mistaken. And the Maccabim.
(..and Korach, but he was also standing up for what he thought was the truth. He just had the wrong idea.)

etky

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:56 am
salt wrote:
Oh so I stand corrected, it wasn't Aharon who said מי לה' אלי
It was Moshe.
Well Moshe is a short name, and so is Levi.

And Levi was father of Moshe, Aharon, Pinchas, and Yirmiyahu too if I'm not mistaken. And the Maccabim.
(..and Korach, but he was also standing up for what he thought was the truth. He just had the wrong idea.)

Yes - he was a cohen.
Yirmiyahu IMO really is the quintessential symbol of a navi who spoke the truth - which was the complete opposite of what most people of his time believed and wanted to hear - and suffered greatly for it.

keym

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:58 am
etky wrote:
Yes - he was a cohen.
Yirmiyahu IMO really is the quintessential symbol of a navi who spoke the truth - which was the complete opposite of what most people of his time believed and wanted to hear - and suffered greatly for it.

But Yirmiyahu is not a short name by any stretch, and it's not the most common in many communities.
That's why I suggested Eliyahu. A bit shorter, more standard in many communities, nicknames that can work from it, and definitely a man who spoke and fought for the truth against the majority opinion.

etky

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 9:01 am
keym wrote:
But Yirmiyahu is not a short name by any stretch, and it's not the most common in many communities.
That's why I suggested Eliyahu. A bit shorter, more standard in many communities, nicknames that can work from it, and definitely a man who spoke and fought for the truth against the majority opinion.

I know. That's why I didn't suggest it to OP.
Just commenting on Yirmiyahu as a descendant of Levi, as per the discussion about Levi - the progenitor of many zealous defenders of G-d's truth - as a possible name.

salt

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 2:02 am
keym wrote:

Yirmy?
Jeremy?

Tof Umachol

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 5:07 pm
Shifra
Puah

Yosef

Mordechai
Esther

Tamar
Ruth
Boaz
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names