Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Never seen a frum family dressed like this
1  2  Next

self-actualization

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:30 pm
I was in a museum yesterday with my family. There were no other frum families there other than a family of husband, pregnant wife, son and daughter. The husband had a beard and kippah, the son had tzitzis and kippah, and the wife wore a sheitel. However, they “covered” the daughter’s hair with a black kerchief, partways. Like it was an old fashioned kerchief. And they weren’t speaking English. Maybe Spanish but maybe not. I tried to listen a bit to see if they were Spanish people who were converting or something. But I don’t think so. But what’s with the kerchief?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:32 pm
self-actualization wrote:
I was in a museum yesterday with my family. There were no other frum families there other than a family of husband, pregnant wife, son and daughter. The husband had a beard and kippah, the son had tzitzis and kippah, and the wife wore a sheitel. However, they “covered” the daughter’s hair with a black kerchief, partways. Like it was an old fashioned kerchief. And they weren’t speaking English. Maybe Spanish but maybe not. I tried to listen a bit to see if they were Spanish people who were converting or something. But I don’t think so. But what’s with the kerchief?

Maybe they were sfardim who hold that the hair of girls over a certain age needs to be covered? My friend married into such a family.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:33 pm
Could it have just been a bandana and fashion and not a head covering?

ETA- or maybe the kid wanted to dress up?

dankbar

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:41 pm
Maybe she was a cancer patient hiding her bald head?

dankbar

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:43 pm
There is a bandana/triangle point tichel look fashion style right now

self-actualization

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:44 pm
I don’t think it was dress up. It was a black kerchief Bobby-pinned in. Together with the very strange language that I couldn’t place at all. (I know French, and some Spanish, some Russian and some Yiddish. Didn’t sound like any of those). Also they all had white skin and Ashkenazi coloring. So maybe Dutch? Hungarian? Whatever, I will let them all live and be. I was just curious.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:39 pm
Amish? From the Netherlands? Irish? Menonites?

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:59 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Maybe they were sfardim who hold that the hair of girls over a certain age needs to be covered? My friend married into such a family.

Explain please!

Never heard of such a thing

mfb

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 12:18 am
Sounds amish

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 12:21 am
mfb wrote:
Sounds amish

Amish don't wear a wig, kippah, tzitzis.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 12:59 am
causemommysaid wrote:
Explain please!

Never heard of such a thing

The halacha for many Sephardim is that girls need to cover their hair for tefillah/brachot, irrespective of their marriage status, from the age of chinuch. Most people don't do it though, and I don't know why. The only family that I know whose daughters actually cover their hair are very strange in many areas, and I suspect something is wrong in their parenting.

2cents

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 1:27 am
Rappel wrote:
The halacha for many Sephardim is that girls need to cover their hair for tefillah/brachot, irrespective of their marriage status, from the age of chinuch. Most people don't do it though, and I don't know why. The only family that I know whose daughters actually cover their hair are very strange in many areas, and I suspect something is wrong in their parenting.

There are actually teshuvas (halachik letters back and forth) between R' Elyashiv and R' Ovadia discussing why this isn't done (in both Sephardic and Ashkenazic communities...if I recall correctly, the letters start with R Elyashiv questioning why it's ok that Ashkenazim aren't stringent in this, and it goes from there.)

I (Sephardic but raised oot in a Sephardic community that was mostly integrated into the Ashkenazi community), when I heard about this, asked a rav in high school and he told me that I need to be normal, and if I could subtly have something on my head for davening and brachos, good, but otherwise it's not done.

Haven't thought about this in years...lol. thanks for the trip down memory lane.

gande

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 2:11 am
Are you sure they weren't talking yiddish? Did they look very well dressed? Because I have seen this type of hair fashion by some trendy chassidish people.

TravelHearter

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 3:09 am
I once found a family on YouTube that you would think is frum based on how they dressed but were ardent christians. Maybe they’re some sort of religious christian group.

salt

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 3:17 am
DD has several friends in sefardi beit yaakov high schools in Israel.
Many of the girls there wear a head covering for tefilla.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:44 am
2cents wrote:
There are actually teshuvas (halachik letters back and forth) between R' Elyashiv and R' Ovadia discussing why this isn't done (in both Sephardic and Ashkenazic communities...if I recall correctly, the letters start with R Elyashiv questioning why it's ok that Ashkenazim aren't stringent in this, and it goes from there.)

I (Sephardic but raised oot in a Sephardic community that was mostly integrated into the Ashkenazi community), when I heard about this, asked a rav in high school and he told me that I need to be normal, and if I could subtly have something on my head for davening and brachos, good, but otherwise it's not done.

Haven't thought about this in years...lol. thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Ooohhh. Do you happen to remember where these teshuvot are listed? This is something that's been bothering me. "Be normal" is not a strong Halachic argument, but there has to be a reason no little girl covers her hair for tefillah.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 7:01 am
I changed the title of this thread to something a bit less critical of those with a different derech. May I respectfully request that unless you are sure of your knowledge, please err on the side of dl"z. Thank you to those who did so already. --imasinger, as mod

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 7:06 am
TravelHearter wrote:
I once found a family on YouTube that you would think is frum based on how they dressed but were ardent christians. Maybe they’re some sort of religious christian group.

This was my first thought.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 7:22 am
Rappel wrote:

The family my friend married into didn’t do it only when they made Brachos. The girls wore/wear something on their head to show it’s covered, but not the same as married women. My friend doesn’t do this with her girls though.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 7:28 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
The family my friend married into didn’t do it only when they made Brachos. The girls wore/wear something on their head to show it’s covered, but not the same as married women. My friend doesn’t do this with her girls though.

So like a headband? A baseball cap? Not a full snood, you mean.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics