Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Putting kid to sleep for cavities @ dentist
Previous  1  2

Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:15 am
Hannah! wrote:
For the ammount of money and grief that five fillings will cost you, I think it might be worthwhile to have an unaffilliated dentist take a look in your child's mouth.

A dentist once said that I needed a filling, and my younger sister needed one as well. My mother NEVER gave us sweets, and we were makpid on regular brushing with fluoride-enriched toothpaste to boot, but whatever, we got the fillings. Then, six months later, he said I needed another filling and my sister needed two or three. My mom grew suspicious and took us for a second opinion before getting the new fillings -- and was told that I needed none, and my little sister needed one.

Hannah, I absolutely agree with you. Our dentist, my uncle, is of the "shitta" that a great number of dental work is completely unecessary, ESPECIALLY when it comes to kids. I have come to see that whichever kids use Dentist X have many times more fillings than Dentist Y, in our city.

So always get a second opinion, and try to research a dentist who has the shitta like my uncle (what can I say, I agree with him!)

Also, putting kids completey under is quite scary. The mayor in Yerushalayim's grandson (Lupolianksy) died under general anesthia when he was 2 (this was about 3 years ago) as he was having dental work done. It was absolutely horrible.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers