Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
High Cholesterol Help

Oldest

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 9:44 am
My dh was just told that he has high cholesterol. What are foods that he should stay away from and how should I amend my cooking to make food appropriate for him? (Plus any recipes/ideas?)

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 9:59 am
I went on a low carb diet and I use egg whites instead of whole eggs and use low fat cheese and limit beef.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 10:42 am
There is a strong body of research that says LDL is not a big deal in the absence of inflammation. For example, this year I confirmed that my lifelong high LDL is genetic and normal for me. My coronary artery CT scan results were thrilling and last October, I was dismissed by my cardiologist because he has sick people to treat.

My HDL levels ( the one that is outright protective) are good and my triglycerides are low. The trig/HDL ratio has been shown to be a better predictor of cardiovascular disease than LDL.

If you are worried about his health, I suggest he watches his carb intake (triglycerides are directly related to carb consumption,) and focuses on not eating processed food. The closer it is to its natural form, the less damage it can do.

Many people find that on low carb, their ldl goes down but some people ( even slim super fit people known as ‘lean mass hyper responders) the ldl goes up. That said, their levels are sky high and they still present with little to no cardiovascular disease.
References for LMHR can be found on the web site https://cholesterolcode.com/

I met with my Doctor yesterday and she was THRILLED with my progress. She is actually leaving the practice to go out and preach the message that insulin levels( wgich can be seen rising years before blood sugar rises), triglycerides and high HDL are better at preventing cvd than low LDL. She literally wants to put herself out of business by teaching people how to be well.

You can do your own research of course. Happy to share the no sugar no grains PDF.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 11:34 am
andrea levy wrote:
There is a strong body of research that says LDL is not a big deal in the absence of inflammation. For example, this year I confirmed that my lifelong high LDL is genetic and normal for me. My coronary artery CT scan results were thrilling and last October, I was dismissed by my cardiologist because he has sick people to treat.

My HDL levels ( the one that is outright protective) are good and my triglycerides are low. The trig/HDL ratio has been shown to be a better predictor of cardiovascular disease than LDL.

If you are worried about his health, I suggest he watches his carb intake (triglycerides are directly related to carb consumption,) and focuses on not eating processed food. The closer it is to its natural form, the less damage it can do.

Many people find that on low carb, their ldl goes down but some people ( even slim super fit people known as ‘lean mass hyper responders) the ldl goes up. That said, their levels are sky high and they still present with little to no cardiovascular disease.
References for LMHR can be found on the web site https://cholesterolcode.com/

I met with my Doctor yesterday and she was THRILLED with my progress. She is actually leaving the practice to go out and preach the message that insulin levels( wgich can be seen rising years before blood sugar rises), triglycerides and high HDL are better at preventing cvd than low LDL. She literally wants to put herself out of business by teaching people how to be well.

You can do your own research of course. Happy to share the no sugar no grains PDF.

Did you ever work with a dietician or holistic doctor? If so is there someone you recommend?I really need to start taking care of my health too but don’t know anything about this.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 11:42 am
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
Did you ever work with a dietician or holistic doctor? If so is there someone you recommend?I really need to start taking care of my health too but don’t know anything about this.

I do not. My story is one that began with 45 years of disordered eating and ended with a health crisis that caused me to do a complete 180 and then solved not only the first problem but also a dozen or more others.

I’ve made it my business to learn over the past four years including an 8 month full time course last year in Nutrition. I do my own research on topics that interest me. I know how to read research and understand bias inherent. You’re welcome to search me here. I’m thinking about starting a business coaching people. I’ve had a number of doctors and dieticians suggest that my knowledge should be used in that way.

I have a very different perspective on health and many people I’ve supported have done very well.

I do ask doctors and dieticians for advice periodically but am always prepared before I ask with the research and evidence that is confounding me.

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:16 pm
anyone got a clearly outlined diet from an endocrinologist?

any links for clear lists and instructions>?

Thank you

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:37 pm
My husband stays away from sugar its supposed to help.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:41 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I do not. My story is one that began with 45 years of disordered eating and ended with a health crisis that caused me to do a complete 180 and then solved not only the first problem but also a dozen or more others.

I’ve made it my business to learn over the past four years including an 8 month full time course last year in Nutrition. I do my own research on topics that interest me. I know how to read research and understand bias inherent. You’re welcome to search me here. I’m thinking about starting a business coaching people. I’ve had a number of doctors and dieticians suggest that my knowledge should be used in that way.

I have a very different perspective on health and many people I’ve supported have done very well.

I do ask doctors and dieticians for advice periodically but am always prepared before I ask with the research and evidence that is confounding me.

What is your diet in a nutshell?

I have a friend with a high cholesterol level -not sure what her numbers are, waiting to get more info);
it’s possibly genetic and high-stress related; thé poor thing has basically vegetables, salad and beans, as well as bananas and oatmeal left in her diet; no poultry, meat, eggs or dairy. She’s starving, cholesterol is still very high; and now her teen daughter got similarly high cholesterol results and was put on same diet and I’d starving and hangry.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:49 pm
HDL level is a better predictor of heart disease risk than LDL levels. Nevertheless, lowering LDL is much more effective in reducing risk, because we have good drugs for lowering LDL. The drugs for raising HDL are much less effective in lowering risk. Lifestyle interventions (such as diet and exercise) are good advice for almost everyone but unfortunately will not accomplish nearly enough for most people.

A low carbohydrate diet that is rich in healthy fats ( pourable vegetable oils), salads and cooked vegetables, and all sources of proteins that are low in saturated fat will lower triglycerides, raise HDL, and lower risk. Stay away from fatty red meat, hard cheeses, coconut oil, and palm oil. Try to eat 1) fish, 2) unsalted nuts, and 3) chicken.

Aerobic and strength building exercises will also lower triglycerides, raise HDL, and decrease risk.

While avoiding carbohydrates, eating alot of vegetables, avoiding saturated fat and exercising is a good idea and worth doing, it is hard to implement and often not enough for many people at high risk for heart disease. The most important and effective way to lower the risk of coronary heart disease, and arterial disease in general, is to lower LDL with statin drugs, which by the way, also lower triglycerides and raise HDL levels, significantly.

Many people have hereditary high LDL cholesterol that puts them at high risk of heart disease, which cannot be effectively treated by diet or exercise alone. It is a mistake to consider it normal because you were born that way. There is nothing as safe and effective in reducing the risk of heart attack as lowering LDL with statin drugs.
Nutrition cultists who make up stories about them and discourage people from taking them have blood on their hands.
The most effective thing OP could do to decrease her husband’s risk of coronary heart disease is to talk to his doctor about the possibility of getting him on a statin drug.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 1:08 am
Statins are not without risk. There is clear data that shows that people with all levels of LDL have around equal levels of risk along with the lowest if those folks having a slightly higher risk.

I am following the medical advice of my
Doctors who have complete confidence that my
Lipids as they are are perfect t given the context of the whole person.

Many doctors feel this way. Dr nadir Ali comes to mind. I’m sure I could figure out some more names too.

Also the data is clear that saturated fat actually increases HDL and does not increase LDL. The experiments are repeatable.

I guarantee you if you want to game the test, there are ways to manipulate them and some of those ways include eating saturated fat and high calories for a period of time.

I think it’s blood on your hands to say ‘pourable oils’ and leave out the fact that PUFA makes people sick. You want pourable oils? Extra virgin olive and avocado are it. They are the only safe vegetable oils that are pourable.

The unpourable include coconut oil ( not the processed ones.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise