Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Would you care when renting a house upstate

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 1:23 am
When renting a house upstate for the weekend or during the week for a few days, would you care if the house is a mobile / manufactured/ modular home vs a regular home, (provided that you are connected to water, electricity etc.)? Or would that not be a consideration, and you would only care about the location?

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 1:43 am
Mobile home is not the same thing as a modular home. A modular home is a regular house, just built at the factory and transported to the location and then assembled on the spot. It is a house in every way. A mobile home is not a regular house, it is a "car" or "truck" or whatever, that can be used as a temporary residence.

So to answer your question, I wouldn't care if the house was modular or stick built, the end result will be the same. But if it's a mobile home just hooked up to electricity and water, it is a definite drawback and should be significantly cheaper I would think.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:19 am
Rosemarie wrote:
Mobile home is not the same thing as a modular home. A modular home is a regular house, just built at the factory and transported to the location and then assembled on the spot. It is a house in every way. A mobile home is not a regular house, it is a "car" or "truck" or whatever, that can be used as a temporary residence.

So to answer your question, I wouldn't care if the house was modular or stick built, the end result will be the same. But if it's a mobile home just hooked up to electricity and water, it is a definite drawback and should be significantly cheaper I would think.

Yes, I meant it more as a modular, manufactured home.

Einikel

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Many new developments have modular homes. I wouldn’t care. They’re regular houses.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 3:59 am
For a few days? Who cares?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 7:31 am
A modular home is a regular house, nobody will know the difference what kind of home it is. A mobile home is different. It looks like a trailer and I would have no interest in staying in one.

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 7:49 am
thunderstorm wrote:
A modular home is a regular house, nobody will know the difference what kind of home it is. A mobile home is different. It looks like a trailer and I would have no interest in staying in one.

I’m curious why not.
My mother worked in a camp were all married staff lived in mobile homes. The layouts were redone. You couldn’t tell once inside.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 9:07 am
I know a family who live in a modular home. You would never know. It's a regular home once it's finished.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 9:25 am
amother [ Trillium ] wrote:
I’m curious why not.
My mother worked in a camp were all married staff lived in mobile homes. The layouts were redone. You couldn’t tell once inside.

An immediate relative of mine owns a mobile home on 7 acres upstate , that was redone. After 5 minutes of visiting I felt extremely claustrophobic. Perhaps if claustrophobia is not an issue for you then it may not feel that different. My DH didn’t have a problem with it. But he does have a problem with bungalows. He would never even go to one for a weekend. Obviously everyone will have a different opinion. My DH would love to own a small cabin somewhere and I can’t think of such a thing because cabins make me feel uncomfortable. So what works for one won’t work for the other . But to me, I need to feel comfortable when I’m on vacation . If it’s anxiety inducing , it’s not vacation. The same applies for going to a hotel.

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 12:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Why would you think modular/pre-fab house looks or functions any different than a house built on site from scratch? It's a regular house, can even be a beautiful house. Can be a few stories high even. Why would you think this would be an issue for anyone renting short term? (The only one it possibly makes a difference to is the buyer. Someone buying a home would pay decently less if it was pre-fab, vs built from scratch.)

shanie5

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 10:21 pm
amother [ Trillium ] wrote:
I’m curious why not.

My grandparents had a double trailer. We loved visiting them! Never felt small to us kids. It was a nice developement where they lived. Not a trailer park.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 10:44 pm
Last summer, I took a road trip with my kids, and we stayed in a legit mobile home. It was actually really nice. The house was a house, but the experience (being in the middle of nowhere, Tennessee) was amazing. As long as my husband wasn’t with us (he would never go for such a thing) is so it again in a second.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics