Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Recommended Reading for FTM of 2yo boy who potches

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 5:35 am
We have a boy who is almost 2 kah. We do not yet have other children and we are trying to learn how to teach him to share and that sometimes toys belong to other kids and it's better to ask if he can play rather than just grab the other child by the sleeve and yank them away from the toy he or she was just playing with!! He is very physical and often potches other kids as well.

I'd like to get some ideas for how to "begin discipline"--really more of instruction and how to explain things probably at his young age. Any suggestions of reading or shiurim or experts I can use as resources?? Thank you!

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 5:36 am
Read him the book Hands are not for hitting

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 5:47 am
I do not have any book or shuiring recommendations, but when my DD was 2, we would just keep reinforcing that Hashem gave us hands for Mitzvahs, remove her from the situation-a time out was involved (not locked in her room but rather just a sitting with me and not playing until she both calmed down and I was able to communicate that it is wrong and that is why we had a time out/away from the other children) and make her come up with ideas mitzvah she could with her hands. (Same with if she kicked or bit. Mitzvah with your feet or mouth)
I found the consistency -removal from the situation and reinforcement that Hashem gave us body parts for Mitzvahs worked very well and quickly.

My ideas may be old school as she is now a Kallah Maidel, but they worked.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 5:56 am
Does he associate with other kids? Is he in school or have play dates? On the job learning is best IMO

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:14 am
At 2 years old he understands consequences. Put him in a time out.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:20 am
Please understand that he still doesn’t know how to express himself with words

You need to model it
First you need to tell him NO DONOT USE YOUR HANDS TO HURT PPL. Go down to his level, make sure he sees your eyes, lower your voice. Not to scare him, but he needs to understand you are serious

Then- let him apologize
You hurt Chanale say I’m sorry

Then- MODEL the behavior
Let’s use our voice instead of our hands
Chanale- can I use your toy - if he can say it great let him repeat what you said.
Chanale can Dovid use your toy

Try to model asking permission in other situations as well.

If all else fails- Time Out- watch Super Nanny and follow the instructions to a tee. It only works if it’s done exact.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics