Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gifts for someone who is anxious about having an operation

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:30 am
What gifts to give someone who is having a knee cap replacement and is rather anxious about this.
Thank you

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:56 am
When my aunt had a hip operation I sent her a giant get well soon balloon attached to a bag of different books. I went for lighthearted mix of joke books and other easy reading and some adult coloring books. I focused on trying to take her mind off things rather than focus on her operation. I don't know if there's anything you can say to make them less anxious.
Something helpful can be to ensure they have the necessary help post-op, whether it's an aide at home, the right bed and other equipment, or simply meals so they don't have to worry about cooking.

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:22 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
When my aunt had a hip operation I sent her a giant get well soon balloon attached to a bag of different books. I went for lighthearted mix of joke books and other easy reading and some adult coloring books. I focused on trying to take her mind off things rather than focus on her operation. I don't know if there's anything you can say to make them less anxious.
Something helpful can be to ensure they have the necessary help post-op, whether it's an aide at home, the right bed and other equipment, or simply meals so they don't have to worry about cooking.

Great ideas Orange Yes to books! And to help after! Good reads, sticker-by-number books, maybe airpods or good wireless earphones. A super soft blanket for the hospital is nice too

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:47 am
Audiobooks are also good, especially because it takes less energy to listen than to read.

A little bell, for summoning the person at home, is useful.

Good wraparound gel ice packs are probably desirable too.

If it's not someone in your home, and you can schedule a regular time to visit during recuperation, that will also be much appreciated.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 7:10 am
Yes, these are good ideas!!

Also, how about a grabber and a leg lifter? (Not really gifts, but more things for post-op)

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 10:48 am
Love the ideas here! If you're making a package, include a cute stress ball.
Got one for my anxious husband before I went into labor with our first, and he used it the whole time

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:13 pm
If I'm about to have an operation and I'm anxious about it, a meaningful gift for me would be 3 sessions with an SEP or equivalent. That would calm me so much, I would look forward to the surgery and recovery would be sooooo much easier.
(SEP - Somatic Experiencing Practitioner. They have specialized protocol to prepare for surgery)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics