Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Live fluttering bugs in my cholent bean Tupperware

cookiewriter

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 9:32 am
Came Home from country and there were live flapping bugs in my sealed Tupperware of barley which I hadn’t used all summer. Threw out the barley sanitized the container .
Now same thing happening with my beans. Brand new package etc. I decant into Tupperware’s which have a tight seal. So nothing can get IN. Which means there are insects or eggs in the raw cholent beans??? Idk what to do. I’m so grossed out.
Nowhere else in pantry has any bugs. Everything is spotless

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 12:01 pm
Packages of grains and legumes will inevitably contain insect eggs. That's one reason why they have to be inspected and washed. If stored for long periods of time, especially in warm conditions, the eggs WILL hatch. You can kill the eggs by immediately putting the beans in the freezer for a few days before decanting into a container. You can further prevent hatching by buying in small quantities and not storing for long periods of time.

Also, be sure to buy from stores with rapid turnover so you are assured that the beans haven't been on the shelves overly long. Pay attention to the brands you buy as well, to see if any brand has more of a problem.

Tzippy323

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 12:16 pm
This is also true for rice.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 12:19 pm
We keep all beans, rice, barley etc in the fridge

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 12:23 pm
I freeze grains and flour for a couple of days after purchase and then store in containers after experiences with rice weevils and pantry moths.

cookiewriter

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 1:59 pm
Thanks so much. I will def start freezing beans.

Next question- how to wash so I get the eggs off???

amother
Bone

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 2:01 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Came Home from country and there were live flapping bugs in my sealed Tupperware of barley which I hadn’t used all summer. Threw out the barley sanitized the container .
Now same thing happening with my beans. Brand new package etc. I decant into Tupperware’s which have a tight seal. So nothing can get IN. Which means there are insects or eggs in the raw cholent beans??? Idk what to do. I’m so grossed out.
Nowhere else in pantry has any bugs. Everything is spotless

FYI: check your spices. Sometimes they also live inside the caps.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 3:16 pm
Is it the same plastic tupperware container?

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 4:45 pm
Are they pantry moths. I found them in my OXO container.

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 4:58 pm
zaq wrote:
Packages of grains and legumes will inevitably contain insect eggs. That's one reason why they have to be inspected and washed. If stored for long periods of time, especially in warm conditions, the eggs WILL hatch. You can kill the eggs by immediately putting the beans in the freezer for a few days before decanting into a container. You can further prevent hatching by buying in small quantities and not storing for long periods of time.

Also, be sure to buy from stores with rapid turnover so you are assured that the beans haven't been on the shelves overly long. Pay attention to the brands you buy as well, to see if any brand has more of a problem.

Is this the case for beans and barley in closed packaging?
I have some from early covid days when I bought stuff that have a long shelf life

miami85

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 5:33 pm
I had this problem once in a rice container.
Basically, the eggs are already in the bag from the time of purchase--eggs are not a kashrus problem, just the bugs themselves.

The longer it sits on the shelf then the bugs hatch, putting them in an airtight container will not help. I put rarely used beans/rice/barley in the freezer--that I believe kills them, but at least stunts their growth.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 5:51 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:
Is this the case for beans and barley in closed packaging?
I have some from early covid days when I bought stuff that have a long shelf life

Yes. All grains and legumes, pasta,flour, cereal, spices can have this problem. Probably cocoa too, but grains and beans are most common because they’re the least processed and tend to be stored longest.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Oct 09 2021, 8:38 pm
What storage containers are best for avoiding these problems? If anyone had pantry moths, how did you get rid of them?

zaq

Post Sat, Oct 09 2021, 9:09 pm
Since eggs are generally already in the package, special containers don’t help. However, to prevent entry of adult bugs from outside, you want solid containers with tight-fitting lids. Screw-cap glass jars, Tupperware-style plastic, metal tins, plastic with friction-fit lids are all fine as long as you make sure to close them tightly. Just not cardboard, and not plastic bags because they tear easily.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen