Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
If Your teen vapes…

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 6:58 am
Obviously I know the best answer would be that he doesn’t but if that is not happening right now, do you have rules or guidelines on how and where?
Do you speak openly about it or just pretend to ignore it.
Do you buy him refills so at least you know what he is vaping and where he is getting it from?
How do you deal?

On advice of his therapist was advised not to make a big deal about it right now but hard to sit by by something that I don’t agree with.

He does take medication for ADHD and I know he gets the calming effect from the vape that helps him. Can I ask doc for something more regulated which would give him the same chill?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:07 am
You can and should supervise the strength of the nicotine he's getting. With the disposable vape pens, they are usually at the highest legal amount and quite dangerous.

Get him a proper e-cig, and then slowly lower the dose of the nicotine with every refill. The "candy" flavored ones have been known to contain flavors that are lung irritants, so try to stay away from those, too.

The process of breathing slowly in through the tube, and slowly breathing out is very relaxing, and when combined with a low dose of nicotine it can be very calming. On the other hand, if the dose is very high, it can cause his heart to race, and make him more nervous. Too high a dose can also cause insomnia.

It's like one cup of coffee can be nice, but 10 cups of coffee are not doing you any favors.

I know, ideally he shouldn't have started in the first place, but that ship has sailed. He's a teen, and you know about his vaping. The best thing to do here is to sit down with him, treat him like an adult, and come up with an arrangement that you both can live with.

You can check Consumer Reports for the most reliable companies to buy from. Under no circumstances should he EVER buy "aftermarket" cigs. (The boys who died from vaping, every last one of them had bought cigs that had been altered by a third party, and loaded with a lethal amount of THC.)

imasinger

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:11 am
Good advice, as usual, from FF.

I'd like to add that anything you can do to up your game in terms of giving him positive time and attention might help with stress levels, as well as ultimately, though not until the time is right, creating an opening to discuss the issue and your concerns.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)