Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
If your toddler had a pacifier past 2.5 years
Previous  1  2

If your child had his/her pacifier at a stage when he/ she already spoke fairly well:
It affected said child's speech  
 11%  [ 8 ]
It has not affected said child's speech  
 88%  [ 63 ]
Total Votes : 71

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:28 am
I think I'll try to limit it to sleep time only.

Any tips of what else I can offer him to soothe himself with during the day when he wants his pacifier? When he hurts himself or is disappointed about something, he cannot calm himself down until he gets the paci. I've tried holding, cuddling and kissing a lot, but it just didn't help him. (Otherwise, he is a big cuddler and frequently asks for hugs, so not sure why it can't help him instead of a paci.)

Any incentives?

All advice appreciated.

Amother Clear: I usually remind him to take out the paci when he speaks, but he BH speaks sooo much, that sometimes he just has it in his mouth while speaking.

Thanks everyone.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 8:08 am
yiddishmom wrote:
I think I'll try to limit it to sleep time only.

Any tips of what else I can offer him to soothe himself with during the day when he wants his pacifier? When he hurts himself or is disappointed about something, he cannot calm himself down until he gets the paci. I've tried holding, cuddling and kissing a lot, but it just didn't help him. (Otherwise, he is a big cuddler and frequently asks for hugs, so not sure why it can't help him instead of a paci.)

Any incentives?

All advice appreciated.

Amother Clear: I usually remind him to take out the paci when he speaks, but he BH speaks sooo much, that sometimes he just has it in his mouth while speaking.

Thanks everyone.

Get him a little blanket for comfort, like the ones from angel dear.

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 8:23 am
Yes a blanky or teddy is good and can try that, but wont really sub for the sucking that he wants. That's why I would say they can have it but only in the crib. Eventually being in the crib was too boring so they wanted it less and less. It's a process. Distraction is also good - read a book, put on music, blow bubbles, go outside on the porch and look at cars going by...
One thing you can try is getting a dolly with a little paci attached on a ribbon. So instead of the kid being upset about whatever, you give them the doll "Oh look, baby is sad and wants her paci, can you help her" (emphasize the "baby" wants her paci - subtle reminder he's not, cant hurt lol) Some kids that worked, they got busy with the doll. Others just sucked the dolly's paci lol so that was that.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 9:39 am
Thanks for your ideas!

momlife

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 10:01 am
Are there specific pacifiers that are better/worse for palate/jaw development?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 10:33 am
One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing kids over the age of 2 walking around with a paci in their mouths all day long. It drives me crazy!

I can't understand a word they say. If any kid tries to talk to me with a paci in the mouth, I will say "I can't understand you, please take the paci out." and I stick with it every single time.

I used to suck my thumb, and I needed braces with headgear for 4 and a half years. My social life was non existent. I also had to go to speech therapy due to mouth breathing and tongue thrust.

Is that really what you want in your child's future? Put up with a little kvetching and crying now, and save them a ton of misery later on.

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 11:05 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing kids over the age of 2 walking around with a paci in their mouths all day long. It drives me crazy!

I can't understand a word they say. If any kid tries to talk to me with a paci in the mouth, I will say "I can't understand you, please take the paci out." and I stick with it every single time.

I used to suck my thumb, and I needed braces with headgear for 4 and a half years. My social life was non existent. I also had to go to speech therapy due to mouth breathing and tongue thrust.

Is that really what you want in your child's future? Put up with a little kvetching and crying now, and save them a ton of misery later on.

Omg me too. I wonder if this is cultural (extended pacifier use) because everyone I know (MO, in super cosmopolitan neighborhood) eliminates pacifier before a year. It’s just so babyish. I personally wouldn’t think to speak or engage with a older child who wakes around with a paci. I’d almost assume they were special needs that they needed to suck all day. I’m sorry if this is rude I’m just being honest at the impression it (Can) give to the world at large

gold21

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:02 pm
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
Omg me too. I wonder if this is cultural (extended pacifier use) because everyone I know (MO, in super cosmopolitan neighborhood) eliminates pacifier before a year. It’s just so babyish. I personally wouldn’t think to speak or engage with a older child who wakes around with a paci. I’d almost assume they were special needs that they needed to suck all day. I’m sorry if this is rude I’m just being honest at the impression it (Can) give to the world at large

I don't necessarily follow norms & rules when I don't agree with them. It just requires a mindset shift- I try to evaluate things on my own instead of just following "because" everyone else said so.

B"H no issues socially. Cool
My kids do well in school, etc.
B"H.
Maybe we don't socialize with snobs. Lucky break for us, I guess.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:09 pm
Did not affect their speech at all, and I guess we're lucky cuz it didn't affect their bite either.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics