Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What are your favorite Kids' books?
Previous  1  2

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 10:53 am
I love frances books- anything by russell hoban is great
sandra boynton has great little kid books- we know moo, baa, la la la by heart over here
bear snores on- is funny
lois ehlert has books with great illustrations like chasing a rainbow & others
blueberries for sal, goodnight moon, where the wild things are, chicken soup with rice, pat the bunny, corduroy, a zoo for mister muster, any richary scarry books. as for jewish books- we like mimmy & simmy, the very best place for a penny, is it shabbos yet (this might be the wrong name but the main character's name is malkie). as for amazon- it is cheaper to buy there, but if you want to look through the books to make sure there is nothing objectionable by your family standards then you are better off buying personally. plus if you go somewhere like barnes and noble- they have a membership club to join & you get a percentage off your purchase. I'm not remembering a fraction of my kids books. We have a huge library. feel free to pm me if you want more. Smile

mama-star

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 11:08 am
I also love anything by hachai...

"my first book of mitzvos," and old publication with beautiful black and white photos and descriptions of the mitzvos, is terrific and always a classic.

sunshine!

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 11:19 am
It's funny but my kids LOVE the David books...I guess they can relate...No David, etc...

Pizza

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 11:46 am
Firstly, ask your neighbors for loans. As your kids grow, you will have more books than you know what to do with. (spoken from experience!)

Also, I prefer to buy from Powells online - they also have good shipping deals, and I find they have (usually) cheaper books. You could browse the childrens' section, you will find lots of books you recognize.

Some of our favorites:
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (has a great rhythm to it)
The grass is always greener
Are you my mother?
If you give a mouse a cookie...
blueberries for sal
the snowy day
tikki tikki tembo
stone soup
the philharmonic gets dressed

check out the reading rainbow suggestions: http://pbskids.org/readingrainbow/books/

enjoy!!

Enjoy!

Pizza

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 11:52 am
One additional note:

Since you live in Israel (like me) it is important to ALSO read your kids Israeli childrens' classics, like Tiras Cham, and Maaseh B'Chamisha Balonim. This will serve two purposes:
1. They will have a common cultural background with their classmates as they grow up
2. It will help your comfort level with hebrew, and fill in the cultural gaps between you and your neighbors/ other gan parents.

I know you want to raise your kids similarly to how you were raised, but they will need to function in a different environment. Its the big picture, hard to think about now while they are little, but you are laying the foundation. Additionally, there are some wonderful childrens books in hebrew. Older kids fiction gets a little shvach, but childrens literature is fantastic. You can always ask neighbors and ganenot for suggestions and loans.

Best of luck, enjoy!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics