Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby more satisfied with formula
Previous  1  2

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 12:28 pm
My daughter has been eating every 1.5-3 hours since she was born. She seems starving every time. I exclusively breastfeed, and she is BH 8.5kg at almost 7 months.
As long as your baby is producing wet diapers and the occasional dirty diaper, s/he will be okay!

amother
Dill

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 1:30 pm
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
Are you sure your supply isn’t low? Mine is and had same issue. I didn’t realize she wasn’t getting enough from me and I really had to supplement. Are you pumping so you know how much you’re producing?

Pumping will not tell you how much you're producing. It might give you an idea, but definitely not exact. When you nurse the baby's mouth is warm and the act produces hormones that release more milk. It cannot be compared to mechanical pumping and does not produce the same amount.

English3

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 5:57 pm
Check for a tounge tie

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 6:06 pm
Sorry to all those posters that insist you don't supplement, but if your 3 week old is taking 4oz after breastfeeding her, then she is clearly not getting enough! It would be cruel to deny her nutrition.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 6:32 pm
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
Sorry to all those posters that insist you don't supplement, but if your 3 week old is taking 4oz after breastfeeding her, then she is clearly not getting enough! It would be cruel to deny her nutrition.

Bottle feeding can lead to overfeeding, because babies can't control the flow. Not always, but it can be an issue.

annalee

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 9:52 pm
mammala120 wrote:
Fed is best
I do not agree with poster who said bottle feeding harms milk supply. If you breastfeeding every 2 hours and small amount of formula in between or in addition it will not harm the supply. But if you let baby suck and there is not much milk or not nutritious enough milk then yeh that can be bad for fast growing baby. I love breastfeeding but had to supplement especially after birth. Body still under stress and can’t build up supply fast enough. Just feed her.

This!!
I feel so bad for how long my babies went hungry before I finally just GAVE THEM A BOTTLE!! Did NOT affect my milk supply. Still had plenty. But for the first few days I needed to supplement because they were still hungry.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 11:33 pm
annalee wrote:
This!!
I feel so bad for how long my babies went hungry before I finally just GAVE THEM A BOTTLE!! Did NOT affect my milk supply. Still had plenty. But for the first few days I needed to supplement because they were still hungry.

yep ended up giving some bottles and now we're only nursing.
thanks everyone.

Debbie

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 2:29 am
newima wrote:
Fed is best

I couldn't nurse at all and felt so guilty about it at first but now I see my little toddler and perfectly fine growing up nicely from formula

Next child I'm just going with the flow if I can nurse I will if I can't I won't worry

Newima I pretty much could have written your post years ago.
I tried hard to breastfeed my first baby, but even with help it didn't work out.
I felt so guilty and like a total failure and unpleasant comments from other judgemental mothers didn't help but BH she thrived beautifully.
For my next baby I chose to formula feed from the start and BH she too thrived beautifully.
As for bonding my babies and I bonded perfectly well; every feed they were held close and aside from my husband giving an occasional feed, were always fed by me.
As mothers we have to do our best with the abilities Hashem gave us and if we do that there's no reason to feel guilty.

lotus2525

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 9:10 am
My one week old only has dirty diapers, hardly any wet ones. Is that a problem?

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 9:21 am
lotus2525 wrote:
My one week old only has dirty diapers, hardly any wet ones. Is that a problem?

As in they all have both poop and pee? That's fine. Some newborns move their bowels a lot. My first was like that. I never changed a diaper that was only wet because the dirty diapers came too frequently for that to make sense.

Your baby's dirty diapers should also be wet though. Do you really suspect they're not?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics