Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Are we the only ones without a Chanuka Party to go to?
1  2  Next

Are you a host or a guest at a Chanuka party most years?
yes  
 51%  [ 76 ]
no  
 48%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 147

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:26 am
Do you host or are invited to a Chanuka party most years?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:35 am
Am I the only one jealous of OP?
#hateparties
#helpmefindanexcuse
#wishicanskip
#buticant

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:36 am
No Chanukah parties for the whole family - but my kids have their class parties at night. We don’t have extended family nearby so it’s just us. Normally I make a party and invite other people who don’t have extended family nearby, but because of this new strain of covid I’m not planning to this year.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:36 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
#hateparties
#helpmefindanexcuse
#wishicanskip
#buticant

You’re not the only one.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:37 am
Not a party animal. Never made a Chanukah party in my life. In singlehood went to parties organized by organizations I was involved in, mainly to prove to parents I had social life. Once married didn’t feel need for it. Pre-Covid machatonim invited us to their parties but during pandemic they’re not hosting parties. Shul is making a party but shul parties too big and noisy for my taste even if there were no pandemic. certainly too big during. Last big party we attended several ppl caught Covid and were hospitalized, one died, so no more big parties for me so long as pandemic continues.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you host or are invited to a Chanuka party most years?

Sorry! Make it fun for your kids, make your own chanukah party:). We have one from dh's side and one from mine so it's not like we have every night.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:39 am
amother [ Almond ] wrote:
Sorry! Make it fun for your kids, make your own chanukah party:). We have one from dh's side and one from mine so it's not like we have every night.

She didn’t say she has kids.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:41 am
We usually get together with extended family but we've never called it a party--it's more casual. We just have deli sandwiches and latkes and bring presents for the kids. This year we're doing a smaller gathering because of covid. All these threads on parties are interesting to me though!

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:01 am
In theory invited to the shul Chanukah party, but not worth it to keep kids up past bedtime for that. My family is too spread out for a party- sometimes we get together on zoom though

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:21 am
Me. My family lives out of town.

So I planned our own party.

You’d be shocked how many people said they are coming! And here I thought they all say they had their own Chanukah parties so I invited everyone and basically everyone said yes. Yikes. Don’t know where I’m going to put them all.

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:33 am
Divorced, and not living near family. I invited three other divorced women. Not sure if that qualifies as a party, but were all looking forward to it.

Zehava

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:39 am
My kids look fwd to the Chanukah party I do for them all year. Everything else is a bonus and, frankly, a pain in the ****. I only attend to fulfill my social obligations. I’d spend it all just with dh and kids if I had the choice.

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:02 am
Depends what you mean by a party. We get together with a few close relatives for some food and light candles together.

salt

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:08 am
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
Depends what you mean by a party. We get together with a few close relatives for some food and light candles together.

That's what I understood a party to mean when I voted 'yes'

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:43 am
I would love to host a chanuka party but my apartment here in Israel is tiny. I am having a party nearly every night and I kind of feel like a prop at some, I don't really know all the people there but still need to attend the very large extended family get togethers. One is being held in a hall.

I think here in Israel, were lacking really close family like parents and sometimes siblings so we feel the need to make up for it... (talking about foreigners.)

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:52 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
#hateparties
#helpmefindanexcuse
#wishicanskip
#buticant

Im with you red.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:58 am
We don’t host. We have an extended family party that we never go to, and this year it came with a “if you are vaccinated we would love to see you” caveat. My siblings have a party also, and we usually go to that. Don’t know if we are going this year though, because it’s at my furthest siblings house, and I don’t know if it will work, practically.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:53 am
delete

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:53 am
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
Divorced, and not living near family. I invited three other divorced women. Not sure if that qualifies as a party, but were all looking forward to it.

Not quite the same thing but I am binging on Call The Midwife and there are two elderly "spinsters" - Nurse Crane and a Miss Higgins who is the receptionist for Dr. Turner.

They become friends and confide in each other how they don't really enjoy the Xmas dinners they are invited to by people who feel sorry for them. They then say their fantasies are - Nurse Crane wants baked beans on toast with a large glass of Stout and Miss Higgins fantasizes about only having a very large bowl of trifle with a Harvey Wallbanger which she once drank in her youth. And there is the inevitable heart warming scene where they have their own sweet dinner and toast each other with Stout and Harvey Wallbanger respectively. Smile

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:05 pm
Zehava wrote:
My kids look fwd to the Chanukah party I do for them all year. Everything else is a bonus and, frankly, a pain in the ****. I only attend to fulfill my social obligations. I’d spend it all just with dh and kids if I had the choice.

please share- what do you do for the party Smile ?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics