Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Another double stroller poll

What is easier for a big city: tandem or side-by-side
Tandem  
 31%  [ 7 ]
Side-by-side  
 54%  [ 12 ]
I tried and liked both  
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 22

tzatza

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 5:56 am
My kids will be 18 months apart, BH. I live in Brooklyn and need to be running errands with two kids at the same time (got a minivan and leave in the house with a few stairs). I am completely clueless about double strollers and would like to at least decide on the type: tandem vs. side-by-side. Hope your opinions will help:)

yo'ma

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 6:06 am
I like tandems because you can get into narrower spaces. Up and down the stairs is harder and so is steering. Another reason I got a tandem was because I didn't want the older one touching the younger one. That didn't work out because when the younger one got a little older, he kept on bothering the older one. If there's a will, there's a way. I don't know about the side by side, but some tandems could snap on a car seat. I don't use any double now, but I sometimes use my sit 'n stand. The older kid sits or stands in the back and a car seat does snap on the front.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 9:41 am
side by side is more comfy-both kids can see, not hard to wheel...

Amital

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 1:37 am
It really depends on what you are using it for. For going into stores, a tandem is easiest. I've had trouble getting through the aisles with a side by side, and especially in those smaller stores, the tandem--and it's basket--comes in handy. I also prefer my tandem for walking, but that may be because we only have a side by side umbrella stroller.

The way my tandem is built is so the back is higher than the front, AKA stadium seating. The one in the back can still see pretty well, and so that minimizes trouble there. My tandem also has a big basket, which is nice!

tzatza

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 6:56 pm
amitalmaia wrote:
It really depends on what you are using it for. For going into stores, a tandem is easiest. I've had trouble getting through the aisles with a side by side, and especially in those smaller stores, the tandem--and it's basket--comes in handy. I also prefer my tandem for walking, but that may be because we only have a side by side umbrella stroller.

The way my tandem is built is so the back is higher than the front, AKA stadium seating. The one in the back can still see pretty well, and so that minimizes trouble there. My tandem also has a big basket, which is nice!

What stroller is that?

GAMZu

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 9:14 pm
I did research before buying and decided on a tandem ONLY.
First of all, I have seen a mother pushing a side by side where she has tied a piece of material- one end to the handle and the other to the footrest- to make a mechitza Wink between toddler and baby.

When I told my mother that I've decided on a tandem, her first reaction was, "Worried for the baby's eyes, eh?" LOL

So that is my 1st criterion.

2nd is if you will be going into stores a lot, a side by side will not necc fit. I have a tandem and sometimes have trouble fitting.
I see a lot of mothers leave kids at the front of the store (outside or inside) because of that. I would never do that, so for me a side by side means never to go shopping again.

It is heavier to push, and it is harder on the stairs. But if you take the older kid out and leave the baby in the back seat, it's much easier to bump up the steps.

ganizzy

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 10:57 pm
if u have a car then I would really think about where ur going to use the stroller more often - walking or errands in the car. I have the phil and ted and am very happy but if I was taking both kids on errands in the car that needed a stroller id prob. get a cheapo umbrella double from craigslist or something. with the car its all about how easy it is to fold and how much space it takes. the phil and ted is easy to fold but u have to take off the second seat so it taked some time and hands. if I was taking it in and out of the car often I would def. buy soemthing else

RachelB

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 10:59 pm
If you live and shop in Broklyn, tandem is the way to go.
It can be a little hard to turn sharp corners, bur there are some great tandems currently on the market. Check out Jane Powertwin - my neighbor has one and she loves it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics