Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Tips for small house

esther990

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:30 pm
In my community there are a number of families who have 6+ children (many are 10+) who live in small apartments (3 bed/2 bath) or small houses (3 bed and 2 bath and a basement). I am no where 10 but we also have a small living space and it’s unlike to change in the near future. Looking for tips and tricks as to how to make it work for lots of kids in a small space without loosing sanity. Thanks

Mermaidinexile

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:52 pm
We live in a shoe box. The Container Store is your best friend. Build extra shelving wherever you can. Also I try and pick up/straighten up as often as possible within reason.

cupcake123

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:56 pm
Get rid of stuff. Try to live as minimalist as you can.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 5:02 pm
Besides getting rid of extra stuff... Use vertical space. Use space under beds. In the basement use the space under the stairs. Double-hang in closets.

Try to have an "away" space — an escape spot to be away from the tumult.

Make sure each child has a private storage box or shelf that is for him/her only.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 5:07 pm
I have 2 kids in a 2 bedroom. Not exactly what you describe BUT my most important tip is to constantly purge and give away.

Add storage wherever you can. I have beds with drawers on the bottom. My son sleeps on a hi riser which we pull out for guests as needed. I keep toys in their bedroom to a minimum.

Folding clothing Marie Kondo style gives more space and is neater.

I have a wire shelving in my laundry closet that can contain lots of cleaning supplies and bulk items.

honey36

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 5:17 pm
Try to be proactive as well. Meaning instead of accumulating lots of stuff and then purging often, just don't accumulate stuff in the first place! Before I buy anything I think 10 times if we actually need the item or if we can live without it. This way the junk never has a chance to accumulate.

Instead of buying my kids tunz of toys or clothes I try to "gift" them with activities like family trips or extra lessons (skating, swimming etc)

If you must buy a gift for kids, like if my girls ask me for an item, I usually try and convince them to go for jewelry instead of clothes or shoes. Takes up barely any space!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics