Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ear tubes - yay or nay
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 8:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's interesting. So then what makes the fluid not build up again after doing tubes? That's another one of my fears. What if we do tubes, they fall out and then the fluid builds up again? We do tubes again?

Or is there something about the tubes that help keep the fluid away long term even after they fall out? I know this is prob a question I should have asked the Dr, but I didn't think of it then.

The tubes help the fluid drain instead of building up. Sometimes, there's so much fluid that the fluid pushes the tubes out and they need to put them in again. Fluid buildup in the ear is basically a childhood issue (though there are teens and adults that need tubes in their ears), so by the time the tubes are out, the child has basically grown out of the issue. Some kids need the tunes back when they've been out already and they're still having fluid. My daughter is 8, she had tubes till 6 years old. I think she's having fluid buildup again and might need tubes again.

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 8:31 am
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
Im not sure 2 weeks is long enough. Ive heard of people doing for longer. Personally, I'd also do chiropractic care but that doesn't seem to be a popular opinion here lol. It gets a passive aggressive hug.

I've heard positive things about chiropractic but frankly this isn't a situation of frequent ear infections. It's hearing loss and needs to be addressed as promptly as possible. Very unfair to the child not to IMO.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 8:55 am
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
I've heard positive things about chiropractic but frankly this isn't a situation of frequent ear infections. It's hearing loss and needs to be addressed as promptly as possible. Very unfair to the child not to IMO.

Correct. It's also not just an issue of "it's not good. It can become a problem". Its already a problem - we have 3 strikes against us - speech, hearing and balance. I know it's the right thing to do, I just need some back up and support. Looks like I'm doing rather well.

baltomom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 8:58 am
I'm a big fan of tubes for kids who need it. DS who was a miserable baby--always had fluid in ears and frequent ear infections--got tubes just before his first birthday and was like a different child--so much happier! And made almost immediate progress in balance-related skills that we weren't even aware were an issue.

Tubes usually fall out after 1-2 years, but in most cases kids outgrow the fluid problems, because as they get bigger the eustachian tube (which connects the ear and the throat) become more vertical and drains fluid better (in babies it's more horizontal)--I think I'm oversimplifying but that's the general idea. One of my kids needed a second set of tubes because the fluid returned once the first set came out, but after the second set came out he has not had any fluid or infections.

Anesthesia is always a little nerve wracking, but the procedure is super quick and I don't remember any problems with recovery. Hatzlacha, OP!

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 8:59 am
abs wrote:
Bottom line is, I don’t think you’ll find anyone who regrets doing tubes for their child.
I agree!

I don't know why doctors are so hesitant to recommend tubes (at least that has been my experience), even if it's "only fluid" it can impact your child's hearing, language skills, and even social skills. Here's a vote for yay.

pmom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 9:57 am
I just did tubes for my son yesterday. would recommend anytime. he was totally fine immediately after.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 9:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Correct. It's also not just an issue of "it's not good. It can become a problem". Its already a problem - we have 3 strikes against us - speech, hearing and balance. I know it's the right thing to do, I just need some back up and support. Looks like I'm doing rather well.

If you were going to wait the 6 weeks anyway, I was saying to do the chiropractic. The lymphatic work and adjustments often drain the fluid. If you are going to the tubes anyway, due it immediately. You had said you were waiting so why waste the 6 weeks and "wait for it to possibly resolve". If you are waiting, id say to do something proactive to help

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:03 am
For the sake of speech development you need to put them in sooner rather than later.

I waited it out with one of my kids and regret it now. So many infections could have been spared.

His speech cleared out too.

Rabbit613

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:51 am
Don't wait. My 2 year old also had no infections but his speech was teally affected because he wasn't hearing well enough.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 1:53 pm
I am a speech therapist and a mom whose son had tubes. My advice is DO IT asap!

My son had them put in at 14 months, and I think that they stayed in until he was about 3.5 years or so. My only regret is that we did not do it earlier than 14 months

I was worried about anesthesia also, but it is really really safe. It's just a mask, I don't think they even use an IV. One of my other children needed anesthesia at 12 months old for a different surgery and that was the real deal- IV, intubation etc-and that scared me much more. Although BH that went really well also.

You will literally see an overnight change in your child. Within days of getting tubes my son picked up on some sounds that he had not mastered previously.

I also have a niece who had fluid in her ears and could not learn to read because she could not hear and differentiate the sounds. She ended up getting tubes at around 5 years old

Even if your child is approved for speech, there is not much a speech therapist can do if the fluid is not allowing him to hear clearly. And as the OT's on this thread pointed out, there are negative side effects to fluid besides speech issues, such as vestibular/balance issues

momof2+?

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 2:15 pm
Just something to bring to your attention: you might want to book an appointment ASAP bec you may have a couple months wait either way. This way you can still think about it and re-evaluate with you regular doctor during the time you are waiting to see the ent.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 2:30 pm
momof2+? wrote:
Just something to bring to your attention: you might want to book an appointment ASAP bec you may have a couple months wait either way. This way you can still think about it and re-evaluate with you regular doctor during the time you are waiting to see the ent.

I agree with this so much I have to quote it!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 4:56 pm
momof2+? wrote:

That's actually a very good point. My Dr mentioned waiting time is approx 2-3 weeks, but could be longer in reality.

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 8:22 pm
I was so against tubes till we got them done...

Also, we had a 2 week wait time for my kids so don't think you need to stress about that necessarily
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics