Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Super nanny 8 yo girl
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes I know . And I definitely agree
I had some extenuating circumstances and my kids were watching more than usual the past few days on a filtered device and my daughter told me she was watching it

As we're on the topic , can any of you help me my son is watching on Netflix fast &furious spy racers

He's 10, does anyone know this show?

Thank you for all your help

You can set each user to see age appropriate content only on Netflix.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can set age each user to see age appropriate content only on Netflix.

So helpful
How do u do this

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So helpful
How do u do this

Click on account settings. You'll get a screen with Viewing Restrictions and it will prompt you to enter your account password to edit Profile Maturity Rating and Title Restrictions for xxx'x profile.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 10:58 pm
I use Common Sense Media to screen movies, shows, etc

It's a great tool

*I just switched my username to Anonymous cuz I was just talking about this in real life- I know this doesn't seem like particularly personal info, but I want to protect my identity, so that's why I'm going Anonymous*

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 12:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So helpful
How do u do this

Or maybe worth using toveedo ...its an all jewish site with jewish viedoes

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 3:41 am
I love Supernanny, but I agree that it's not for kids. Never mind the lesbian couple, that's the least of your worries. An 8yo still has a lot of black and white thinking, and sorting through family emotions and dynamics is a very complicated thing.

The show talks a lot about adults with adult problems, and it could make a kid nervous that you might get divorced, or get mad, or cry. Parents often say really not nice things to each other, or to the kids.

It's also distressing to watch other children act out, and then cry hysterically when they realize that their actions have consequences, and that they won't be the boss of the house anymore. As an adult you know that it's important to set boundaries, and that there will be pushback. To a child, it just looks like the kid on the show is going through some sort of terrible trauma.

IMHO, you should praise her for telling you, and then find her a show that is more appropriate. I always recommend "My Little Pony". It's adorable, non violent, totally kosher, and encourages good middos. The writing is excellent, and I enjoy it even as an adult! I would watch it with DD, and we would talk about the characters, their personalities, the conflicts, and how they got together to solve their problems. If you kids are going to be watching this, THIS is the show to watch.

For boys, I've heard that the LEGO shows on Netflix are really clean as well.

My last bit of advice, is don't let anyone watch anything unless you are in the room with them. You want to hear and see what they are watching. You don't need to hover over them, but they need to be aware that you are on top of it and paying attention. Keeping all electronics in the main room of the house, and out of the bedrooms, is one of the best things you'll ever do for your kids. It shows them that you care (even if they gripe at first.)

chanchy123

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 4:04 am
I didn’t read the responses, I watched super nanny years ago, it’s a show about chinuch, and it’s fine for an eight year old (although don’t know many eight year olds who would davka choose this show to watch). Not sure what circles you belong to, but it’s not terrible at all, and kol hakavod to your kid who checked with you if the show is appropriate.

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 5:40 am
OP, you might want to find some time with each of your kids to ask them about what they watched, and what they liked it didn't like about it. If you just slam the door on their interests, they might find other times or ways to keep watching.

It might make sense for you to see a little of each of their shows, so that you can understand, and respond in a meaningful way.

Let them know that their thoughts and feelings matter -- it will make it easier when the rules change, and it gives the opportunity for you to explain what's good and what's less good about what they watched, and why it's important for you to monitor.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:01 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I didn’t read the responses, I watched super nanny years ago, it’s a show about chinuch, and it’s fine for an eight year old (although don’t know many eight year olds who would davka choose this show to watch). Not sure what circles you belong to, but it’s not terrible at all, and kol hakavod to your kid who checked with you if the show is appropriate.

If you're saying it's ok for an 8 year old to watch, you probably just watched 1 tiny segment of the show that was neutral by coincidence....
I don't know any parent that would say it's ok for kids to watch a show where there's the F word and swearing galore and all other things going on on the show. The dysfunction between couples and families isn't something an 8 year old should watch either. 8 year olds don't need to know that couples cheat on each other's or about addiction and other adult issues.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 11:53 am
It’s watching children and families being dysfunctional.
Obviously they are extreme, otherwise it’s no show.
Very not age appropriate.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 2:39 pm
Supernanny Jo Frost is great IMHO.
The show isn't intended for children (bad language etc)
Its not a catastrophy if you daughter watched it. How about asking her what she liked about the show?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 2:41 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Supernanny Jo Frost is great IMHO.
The show isn't intended for children (bad language etc)
Its not a catastrophy if you daughter watched it. How about asking her what she liked about the show?

She told me she loved how gentle she was with the kids and it was juts so interesting!!!!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 2:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She told me she loved how gentle she was with the kids and it was juts so interesting!!!!

And your daughter is right! Jo Frost is incredible. She's excellent and she stands firm with her techniques. Extremely lovable and it the same time "no-nonsense" .
We need more of Jo Frost!!

zigi

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 2:56 pm
It was originally on ABC. They don't have swearing. I used to watch it with my kids.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 3:18 pm
zigi wrote:
It was originally on ABC. They don't have swearing. I used to watch it with my kids.

Of course if has swearing. The F word is used a lot by her and the families on the show. The language in general isn't meant for an 8 year old. I'm surprised you allowed your kids to watch this show, little kids shouldn't witness such dysfunction and crazy issues.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 5:15 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
Of course if has swearing. The F word is used a lot by her and the families on the show. The language in general isn't meant for an 8 year old. I'm surprised you allowed your kids to watch this show, little kids shouldn't witness such dysfunction and crazy issues.

No there’s no F word that word is not allowed on network television.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 5:27 pm
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
No there’s no F word that word is not allowed on network television.

There definitely is the F word, not all networks block it. And besides for that, there's bad language in general.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 5:33 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
There definitely is the F word, not all networks block it. And besides for that, there's bad language in general.

That’s not true but there could be other words you would object to, but not the worst ones.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 5:36 pm
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
That’s not true but there could be other words you would object to, but not the worst ones.

There for sure is the F word on supernanny. From Jo and the others. There's even one episode of a kid that's constantly using that word.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics