Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
ATTN Florida Amothers

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 2:06 pm
Florida Amothers, can you please list the special Ed schools you have in the Jewish communities
Please include if it is:
elementary or high school. No preschool
Boys or girls or mixed
Functioning level ex. High, low, classes for each, mixed
Specialization ex. autism, ds, adhd

busy mommy

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 3:37 pm
I don't know much but I do know that there is a school called Kesher that caters to special needs. I know one kid that goes there and he is learning disabled but not severe. Just enough that the average typical school couldn't handle. He is elementary age.

singsong

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:18 pm
There aren't many such programs. As the poster above me mentioned, there's Kesher in Aventura that's geared for kids with learning disabilities - NOT special ed at all. Kesher is co-ed.

There's also a program in South Florida Jewish Academy in Coconut Creek but I don't know much about it.

If you're looking for special Ed schools that cater to actual special needs kids like they have in NY and NJ (HASC, etc) you're looking at the wrong state. We don't have anything like those schools down here. Kids with special needs go to public school for the most part.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:20 pm
singsong wrote:
There aren't many such programs. As the poster above me mentioned, there's Kesher in Aventura that's geared for kids with learning disabilities - NOT special ed at all. Kesher is co-ed.

There's also a program in South Florida Jewish Academy in Coconut Creek but I don't know much about it.

If you're looking for special Ed schools that cater to actual special needs kids like they have in NY and NJ (HASC, etc) you're looking at the wrong state. We don't have anything like those schools down here. Kids with special needs go to public school for the most part.

This is in big part due to the fact that Florida is a 'red state', just FYI. Complain all you want about democrats and higher taxes, but if you have a kid with special needs, a blue state is hands down the place you want to be.

singsong

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:22 pm
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
This is in big part due to the fact that Florida is a 'red state', just FYI. Complain all you want about democrats and higher taxes, but if you have a kid with special needs, a blue state is hands down the place you want to be.

Are you addressing me? I'm not complaining at all about the lack of such programs here. We're paying for that out of pocket and still come out ahead with the lower taxes, no income tax, and overall lower cost of living down here.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:24 pm
singsong wrote:
Are you addressing me? I'm not complaining at all about the lack of such programs here. We're paying for that out of pocket and still come out ahead with the lower taxes, no income tax, and overall lower cost of living down here.

I meant 'you' in a general sense.
Great that it's working out for you, but it's something that everyone should be aware of

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:25 pm
As far as I know the school in Coconut Creek is tiny and barely off the ground.

Kesher is a program that is housed on the campus of an MO school. I do know there are students diagnosed with autism in the program (since you specified). It is coed. Some of the students have siblings in more RW schools, but they are enrolled in kesher because the other schools can't meet their needs. I don't know costs but I know tuition at the school they are housed on is *very* expensive.

I am not aware of anything else.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 7:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Florida Amothers, can you please list the special Ed schools you have in the Jewish communities
Please include if it is:
elementary or high school. No preschool
Boys or girls or mixed
Functioning level ex. High, low, classes for each, mixed
Specialization ex. autism, ds, adhd

OP, hi. I'm a mother of a SN child here in FL. Can you elaborate on your needs? There are some options for kids that need a little more hand-holding but nothing worthwhile for kids with extreme needs. They often end up in the public school system.

I sent my child to Kesher for 2 years, which is on the Hillel campus in NMB. It's officially an orthodox school, but the majority of children there are not frum and it's mixed. As far as the Kesher program itself - I was not impressed. I cannot recommend it at all.

Same child is now in SFJA in Coconut Creek and doing well. It started out with extremely special needs children but has changed a lot. It's mostly neurotypical students now, with a sprinkling of kids who learn differently or more slowly and just need small classes, extra help, more attention. They are committed to his success and it's a very happy, positive place. Run by Chabad shluchim in that area.

There is also Etgar in the Boca Hillel. Similar to Kesher but with a more religious student body. Only dealing with slightly SN kids, not kids with extreme intellectual challenges.

I know there are some programs for kids with behavioral issues, but that was never something for us to look into.

Posnac JCC also has a program called Kulanu (I think?) for special needs but like Etgar, not taking anyone too behind grade level. And not frum at all.

I think that's it. Very slim pickings.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 8:35 pm
I want to move to Florida but obviously schools are the most important so I wouldn't even consider it without finding out first about schools.
Where would a child with down syndrome go? Public school? Would any of the above school take a student like that who is very high functioning

Also are there boys high schools for kids with ADHD or similar

singsong

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:03 pm
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
I meant 'you' in a general sense.
Great that it's working out for you, but it's something that everyone should be aware of

I apologize - I misunderstood you. I agree with you 100%. I wish everyone who moves down here comes with eyes wide open so there's no huge shock that some of the conveniences taken for granted in NY are non-existent here.

singsong

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to move to Florida but obviously schools are the most important so I wouldn't even consider it without finding out first about schools.
Where would a child with down syndrome go? Public school? Would any of the above school take a student like that who is very high functioning

I'll be honest here. Florida is one of the worst states to move to with a special needs child. There is absolutely no support beyond what public school can offer, and once the child graduates you're on your own. Neither of the above mentioned schools will take a child with Downs syndrome.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Sadly, yes, I'm pretty certain it's either public school or a non-Jewish private (and I'm not sure of those options for Down syndrome).

I assume ADHD kids are largely medicated and mainstreamed, but I could be wrong.

We are very lacking in special ed/ special needs. Very. I know many families who moved here and in the end didn't stay because their children just were not being serviced well in schools here. Not only are the choice of schools lacking, but extra therapies and services that state provides in NY just isn't happening here.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don’t know where you live, but in Monsey they go to public school.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:24 pm
There is the McKay/Gardiner scholarship in Florida which can be used towards a shadow in private schools.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:34 pm
Oh gosh:(
I hate NY so much I could cry
But I guess FL is not right for our family
Thank you all so much for talking the time to respond it means alot to me.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:36 pm
Good luck op
We are following as well due to the mask and vax mandates etc

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:38 pm
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
Good luck op
We are following as well due to the mask and vax mandates etc

I can tell you that in the kesher program, the kids are all wearing masks. The school enforces it very strictly.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 9:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh gosh:(
I hate NY so much I could cry
But I guess FL is not right for our family
Thank you all so much for talking the time to respond it means alot to me.

If you hate NY, chances are you’re likely to hate Lakewood too, but there are really good options in Lakewood for a DS child. I don’t have that challenge, but I’m sure some other amothers can chime in. There are so many areas and maybe you could find a place you’ll like.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 10:41 pm
Just so you know, I have a child with DS and live in Florida. She currently goes to a public school program in the morning and Jewish preschool in the afternoon.

When she gets old enough I’m planning to apply for the McKay/Gardiner (think they blended together) scholarship and send her to the Jewish elementary school with a shadow, as long as it is right for her. I know of other families with DS children who did the same.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics